You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Coopz

Long term life of WoW?

40 comments in this topic

7 posts
279 battles

Just wondering how this game will last in the long run. I'm at tier 5 and have no desire to really go any higher (same with WoT, had the most fun with tier 5 and 6). Just starting to get bored with this games rather limited variety of games. Capture a area or areas or just shoot anything red that floats and cross your fingers the RNG Gods smile on you. The maps are all very similar (except that open ocean stalemate map) with the silly islands scattered around the middle to give the DD's a hope. My 2 friends I started playing it with have lost interest and moved on. With its sister game WoT it has a lot more replayability with various maps and layouts and much bigger variety of tanks (even when the British and German lines come in it won't really offer much variation of the other ships).

Curious if this game will have the same shelf life of WoT or is it just a side game that will only be popular in the short term?

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Well, given that the gameplay and system is pretty much identical to World of Tanks....I'd say it'd have around the same shelf-life as that, depending on whether we'll get new game modes and content updates.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Note that when World of Tanks launched, it launched only with a limited form of the German and Russian trees, a few maps, and only standard battle available as a game mode. Warships already launched with quite a bit more content and better systems than Tanks did - and looking at the dev Q&As, they've already got additional content planned out for Warships.

Beta Tester
773 posts
796 battles

Well, given that the gameplay and system is pretty much identical to World of Tanks....I'd say it'd have around the same shelf-life as that, depending on whether we'll get new game modes and content updates.

WoWS has far less depth than WoT, which is why people get bored with it more quickly.  It's not the train wreck WoWP is but it's no WoT either.  I expect that's why WG expected us to buy our own gold in CBT instead of them giving it to us like they should have.  They know its shelf life is more limited so they are milking the player base earlier.
Edited by Potoroo

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

WoWS has far less depth than WoT, which is why people get bored with it more quickly.  It's not the train wreck WoWP is but it's no WoT either.  I expect that's why WG expected us to buy our own gold in CBT instead of them giving it to us like they should have.  They know its shelf life is more limited so they are milking the player base earlier.

The game doesn't need to have shorter shelf life for the developer to start milking players earlier than they should.

It's fine by me though, because I'm going to spend money in this game regardless, and the money I spent during CBT (which got refunded) tells me what do I need and what I don't after the game is released.

Right now I'm still saving my gold and wait till discount to unlock more pot slots. :hiding:

Alpha Tester
184 posts
2,083 battles

Compared to WOT which took more time to "evolve", WOW's seems to have more focus on new developments and implementation of ideas/inputs from players. Yes the game play itself can be monotonous sometimes but it definitely is not a contender for one with a short shelf life. Is it worth spending on, yeah, why not, nobody is forcing me to pay.

I'm waiting for discounted port sales too.

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

Note that when World of Tanks launched, it launched only with a limited form of the German and Russian trees, a few maps, and only standard battle available as a game mode.

At launch WoT had Germans, Russians and Americans.

German and Russian trees had one full line of vehicles for each class.

Americans lacked tank destroyers. (T30 was ingame as the tier X heavy tank)

Up until launch SPGs in WoT had 100% accuracy, shots would never miss unless the player failed at aiming.

It took several patches post-launch till:

• More vehicles were added, automatically balancing out a few issues ("Man I would like to have a tank that works like this instead of this one.")
  • Vehicles were moved around (KV-1 turned into KV-1 & KV-2, IS-4 into a tier X, Panther II and Panther were pushed down a tier, etc, etc)
  • HE shells were nerfed into the ground from Panthers being able to damage a Maus frontally to not doing anything
  • Matchmaking was switched from +-3 to +-2
  • Added more birds to Malinowka
  • Metric ton of other things, patch logs back then were... ... not so trustworthy, hence it's impossible to determine

stealth changes that happened. (And yes, at one point WG (I think it was Overlord himself) confirmed that stealth changes had occured)

The map pool back then was decently sized. (Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)

(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)(Too much Malinowka makes Retia go mad)

I assume we'll see a faster development time here, since WG is not a complete newbie anymore compared to when WoT initially started up.

(Yes-yes~ WG made games previously to WoT, but they never worked on such a large project before)

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,163 battles

Feeling bored? Just switch between games... Like every time i get bored with the ridiculous match making in WoWS, i play WoT... If both sucks. I quit and start watching por... I mean TV show. :D

496 posts
4,170 battles

I mean, it become lifeless gradually

kind of true , pretty much everyone know what to do and such from youtube videos and the discussion here will decrease over time but usually with skyrocket over rumors and new updates

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,833 posts
4,122 battles

Well I have to say I don't agree Syanda   There is very little similar in the gameplay.  Not as dynamic or fast paced.  Far more team reliant and a bit more repetitive.  WOTs customer base seems very central to Europe while this game seems be heavily bases on the Asian (particularly the Japanese market.  Its a very specific niche in the game market may have already got close to its peak playerbase as it has limited appeal in the overall gaming marketplace.

Don't get me wrong.  Its a good game, just not a great game.

195 posts
356 battles

WoT Asia Forum is dead. All the greats either quit the forums (_Storm, Karl, Steeltrap, etc.) or were RO'd (FeetFood... you will be missed). That took around 3 years to die (The forums). At most, I give this forum 5 years before all the baddies are left.

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,833 posts
4,122 battles

Forums died due to different reasons than what would cause a game to die, so unfortunately while I understand your point of view, I don't think it is relevant to the longevity of this game.

[151ST]
In-Training Moderator
95 posts
4,643 battles

"Greats"

o.O

Jokes aside, it's a niche market in some ways, but it's a pretty big niche. Also tend to find a lot of WoT players here, even though some may complain about the evilness of WG. 

Development is happening at whatever pace it happens, content will come along at the same speed as most games, and I'll keep throwing money at my computer screen.

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

Personally I think WoWs has plenty of life to go, considering people will be eagerly waiting for the Russian, British, Italian and French Navies, perhaps we may have limited tech (or combined European) trees for the Dutch, Swedish,or even Polish navies as well?

[CLAY]
Alpha Tester
944 posts
5,641 battles

I think there is a lot more to come in terms of game play here......if you could put together a good team (with mic) you will have a lot of organised fun (must get around to that one day). But for me I'm lucky, I love WWII tanks, planes and ships so I can switch between the 3 if I get a bit bored of one. :great:

112 posts
1,431 battles

Maybe I am just out of touch with the needs of the modern generation....but we are what......2 months into open beta.....and people are already questioning how long the game is going to last.......GEEEZZZ, give it a bloody chance.

While even I find the current maps and missions a tad repetitive, the game is still in its infancy for all intensive purposes, and therefore you have to accept this.

I have come over from the "opposition", and WG now has the jump in regards to ships......whether they make the most of this advantage remains to be seen.

Hopefully the lessons of their experience regarding planes, will not be repeated here.

[151ST]
In-Training Moderator
95 posts
4,643 battles

Personally I think WoWs has plenty of life to go, considering people will be eagerly waiting for the Russian, British, Italian and French Navies, perhaps we may have limited tech (or combined European) trees for the Dutch, Swedish,or even Polish navies as well?

I hope to see an Aussie ship in there somewhere. I plan on using whatever connections I have to see if we can get at least one. :-)

Beta Tester
773 posts
796 battles

I hope to see an Aussie ship in there somewhere. I plan on using whatever connections I have to see if we can get at least one. :-)

There's no reason not to.  In the period covered by WoWS all the Dominion ships were on the Admiralty List.

112 posts
1,431 battles

There's no reason not to.  In the period covered by WoWS all the Dominion ships were on the Admiralty List.

You guys can have a Sydney or Canberra, if I can have an Achillies........deal?

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

Probably add commonwealth ships as Premiums such as HMAS Canberra, HMNZS Leander etc