Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Szabla

A noob question to someone who knows about ships --- what is this device on an Atlanta for?

21 comments in this topic

104 posts
12,430 battles

I noticed it rotates to the same direction as the main battery, is it a binocular?

Is it for gunner, commander or pilot?

I am very curious :amazed:

Super Tester
2,725 posts

If you want to determine the range & bearing of the target from your ship, this is the tool you need. The Rangefinder.

If you want to hit the target, there's this fire control system to calculate for accuracy.

[SGC]
Super Tester
1,459 posts
6,801 battles

IRL there will be a dude standing there braving the

elements and fire to tell the gunners the distance to target etc. Etc.

Here, it's operated by ghosts.

Edited by Deathskyz

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,562 posts

that's not the gun range finder, that's the one for navigation, more importantly, close quarters navigation. It can also be used for the main guns if required.

If you look around the model, you will see many of them fitted, some for Nav, some for main (big ones on top) and some for secondaries (and AA), as RADAR became more prevalent, most of the larger RF were removed, and only a couple of the smaller one retained. Modern ships still carry RF gear, but in a portable fashion.

[1NATN]
Beta Tester
192 posts
11,229 battles

I always thought they where "telescopic rangefinders" you'll find many of them all over the larger warships including some big ones inside the main turrets which is why a lot of heavy turrets have "ears" at the back, it's the rangefinder for use in local control should the main directors be lost.

Basicly they are two telescopes that give the viewer a split view "top and bottom" the user twists a knob and when the two views match and form one perfect image he looks down at a precalibrated dial and hey presto you have the range.

Gunners used to use the enemy ships mast as a guide, when the two split images of the mast lined up you pull the trigger.

Simple.

Super Tester
1,677 posts

I'm rather interested at how they got their nav bearing with coincidence rangefinders though. ain't that to the untrained eye a wide view bino that has a strange gridline on the lens?

Alpha Tester
392 posts

Wouldn't want to give the devs new ideas now do we? Knocking out rangefinders on a ship will result in increased gun dispersion or remove the target reticle for a short time. Uh oh...

Super Tester
1,677 posts

Wouldn't want to give the devs new ideas now do we? Knocking out rangefinders on a ship will result in increased gun dispersion or remove the target reticle for a short time. Uh oh...

you just HAD to flippin say it. what next, whacking the scanner dish as well as the gun directors up above the mast = increased shot dispersion as well?

Alpha Tester
392 posts

you just HAD to flippin say it. what next, whacking the scanner dish as well as the gun directors up above the mast = increased shot dispersion as well?

More like depriving CVs of their satellite view for a moment, forcing bombers to hunt ships on their own A.I. instead of the player's clicking. =D

Alpha Tester
131 posts
1,449 battles

Why not have critical hit as mentioned above? they happened.

Personally, I think it's ridiculous that the only way to knock out flight ops on a carrier is to set her on fire. In reality, having your flight deck holed and buckled would have halted flight ops.

Edited by charcoal44

Beta Tester
753 posts
657 battles

Personally, I think it's ridiculous that the only way to knock out flight ops on a carrier is to set her on fire. In reality, having your flight deck holed and buckled would have halted flight ops.

I think is was for this little thing called balance.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

I think is was for this little thing called balance.

Specifically, the balance between realism and fun. It'd be realistic if a carrier who's gotten a direct bomb or high-explosive hit on its flight deck loses its ability to launch planes for the rest of the match. However, it wouldn't be fun for that carrier captain for the rest of the match. Or if salvos of shells to the navigation bridge/conning tower knocks out steering every time it happens. Realistic, yes. Fun, not so much.

295 posts
501 battles

Obviously it's a rangefinder. Some idiots even say it is "rocker launcher".

there's one time I look at a picture of Nazi arty team, and saw a guy holding a bazooka sideways.... and it doesn't make sense... no one will hold it sideways and put their head in it.... and than I find out it's a range finder

Sign in to follow this