Sign in to follow this  
yanyatcheng

how to play IJN kawachi

20 comments in this topic

295 posts
501 battles

struggle to get in range with the slow speed. and all low tier ships got more range than it, get in close and i will get torped, and leave some range and st.louis will fire HE for dayz...

i just want to get pass this tier... sell this bloody ships and get a better BB

496 posts
4,171 battles

struggle to get in range with the slow speed. and all low tier ships got more range than it, get in close and i will get torped, and leave some range and st.louis will fire HE for dayz...

i just want to get pass this tier... sell this bloody ships and get a better BB

it's a normal ship well compare to south carolina it has more guns, i just play through it in PVP 

i meant it's about 10+ games of win/loses to clear it

the ship's advantage is that it have 2 guns at the side so you could fire 4 guns which is 8 shells at the enemy

you might fight enemy cv sometimes but most people don't find you a threat, but they will still bomb you for more damage done =P

but as a CV player i will sink myogi or other ships other than a kawachi first.

and if you are too stress out to play it, use free exp

not everyone is able to afford gold / able to collect much free exp at that time ( unless he played alot of other ships and able to skip it

but still a default un-upgraded myogi is also horrible.

PVE is also another alternative of going pass the kawachi but not recommended because it is slow

Here is another suggestion. play with friends that are using tenryuu or some other ships that is able to support you that are tier 3 or above you don't want any tier 2 ships with you or you'll drag them to fight higher tiered

also please platoon with people that can carry =P

another thing i just though is that you can platoon with someone with a Hosho ( CV) 

BUT!!!!

you might get to fight tier 5 + so this is a risk XD

Edited by ShiraYukira

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

not everyone is able to afford gold / able to collect much free exp at that time ( unless he played alot of other ships and able to skip it

but still a default un-upgraded myogi is also horrible.

Sorry if i make a confusing statement, i mean, grinding using an elite ship (the one you already max out) to earn free exp. i still thinking buying ability using real life cash is cheating. LOL.. 

sorry for my hate of cash player... so sorry again if my previous statement is not clear

Best regards

XP_On

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

Quoting myself, because lazy:

For the Kawachi you'll want to get as close as possible to a target.

DDs and CLs are HE targets, open fire at long range and maneuver back behind an obstacle to avoid getting shot into pieces

by the faster firing vessels.

Unless of course you're with a group of ships, then feel free to turn towards the enemy and unload another salvo before turning around.

Slowing down your ship might be useful after turning your bow towards the enemy, after all you'd want enough time to dodge possible torpedo salvos.

For BBs and CAs you'd prolly want to fire one or two HE salvos until you get close enough for the shotgun effect to be small enough for AP.

I'd say anything below 5km is an AP target and everything above that should eat HE shells.

Remember to switch ammunition early enough to avoid having to reload after already reloading HE for a couple of seconds. (Optimised timing is best timing)

Additionally if your next HE salvo is going to be loaded in less than 12 seconds you're better of switching to AP after firing that salvo.

For AP you'll want to aim so that as many shells as possible will hit the ship's middle section.

An experienced enemy will turn his bow/stern towards you to avoid lethal AP damage, in this case you have two choices.

1.) Wait until he changes course to open fire

2.) Fire one gun in hope to make him turn due to thinking you're firing all guns

(Generally even experienced players will commit to finishing a turning maneuver once it's started)

If by chance you end up on the Ocean map your best bet is to wait until the engagement between two larger forces begins.

As soon as this happens you'll do a Nelson.

I.e. rush into the enemy lines and dodge as many shots as possible until you're in firing range.

I highly suggest using both the premium damage control and the premium repair party.

Use both in tandem to negate fires and damage alike.

72 posts
2,544 battles

I'm joining the lazy too lol.

I like how people here diss Kawachi as "being underpowered" and "free food". That's what I like people to think when I grinded in my Kawachi back then.

The trick to playing the Kawachi is to not go broadside like most ships do. Having 4 turrets with 2 guns each pointing the same way sounds tempting but doing so just makes you a big fat target for enemy broadsided ships as well.

Instead, what you should do in a Kawachi is to find your target (preferably cruisers or if you have enough cover, BBs) and charge full speed against them with your ship's bow pointing towards them.

Enemy cruisers will deploy torpedoes against you but you can dodge them easily if you are pointing your bow towards them. You should be able to dodge enemy shots that were fired from the broadside as well if you see them coming, and especially with your bow pointing against them you also reduce your profile and lessen the damage from getting hit by a full salvo. Then when you draw near enough to your target, you should have your front turret and one of the front turrets on your port/starboard that should be able to fire at your target. Once fired, angle your bow so that the other front turret at starboard/port can fire as well, then angle to the other side again where your front turret and the port/starboard are ready to fire once more.

Technically it will look like this -> 1st salvo of 4 shells -> 10 seconds later, 2nd salvo of 2 shells -> 10 seconds later, 3rd salvo of 4 shells. This should be adequate to pressure your targets to resort to evasive maneuvers and in turn losing their focus on firing at you.

Then as you get close enough, engage with your secondary armament, and if you are lucky enough to meet a BB higher tier than you are, just ram them for good money (it's always a good trade). If not, position yourself to have your sides face their bow or stern to allow 4 turrets on the relevant side to engage.

To me, the Kawachi was fun once I figured out I can play it effectively this way - in fact I enjoyed the grind more than I had in the Myogi. I noticed that to most of the other players, the Kawachi was difficult because they can't shake away from the cruiser mentality of fast-firing guns to make up for their firing errors.

496 posts
4,171 battles

Sorry if i make a confusing statement, i mean, grinding using an elite ship (the one you already max out) to earn free exp. i still thinking buying ability using real life cash is cheating. LOL.. 

sorry for my hate of cash player... so sorry again if my previous statement is not clear

Best regards

XP_On

nah it's okay you could hate me XD

but cashing and not cashing doesn't matter alot in WOWs because you could get everything the same way just slower other than premium ships.....

i actually planned to unlock as much of cruisers and destroyers as possible, collect free exp,and than work out the BBs, 

it's a good idea but still haha its more logical to get used to Battleships using the lower tier ones , but you could start with myogi but let me just say this , it's horrible when it isn't upgraded

Super Tester
2,725 posts

Kawachi isn't bad, I already passed it and now grinding my tier 4 Myougi to Tier 5 Kongou. You just need tips on how to effectively play Battleships.... and survived probably :P

Tip:

- When encountering enemy Cruiser & Battleship, AP all the way and aim for citadel part of the ship (engine room located under the smoke stacks, magazine room located under each main gun turrets, etc.). Scoring citadel hit means big damage.

- HE shell is reserved for destroyers, as battleship's AP shells overpenetrate the destroyer's armor thus... not effectively damaging the destroyer.

- Aim for the waterline to land accurate. The waterline is the line where the hull of a ship meets the surface of the water*.

- With 30 seconds reload, always check your surroundings & importantly the mini-map.

- Never go straight close towards the enemy, learn when to fall back at right situation & not when you learned you alone against large group.

- Most important thing about battleship, you can't go rambo alone thinking you are indestructible. Always go with support.

source: http://forum.worldofwarships.asia/index.php?/topic/8590-ijn-tier-3-bb-underpowered/page__p__122973#entry122973

Beta Tester
9 posts
2,074 battles

Fight close range battles. There is a buff in accuracy when your fire range is less than 4 km for BB.

P.s. rmb to shoot AP shells when versing CL like tenryu and kuma. Douge torps with skill and... luck.

621 posts
2,271 battles

Kawachi is close range brawler, use cover and take on enemy cruisers and BBs. Recommend firing HE for DDs and light cruisers (Chikuma, Tenryuu, Chester) and AP for BBs and St. Louis.

Sign in to follow this