You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
yanyatcheng

IJN tier 3 BB underpowered?

28 comments in this topic

295 posts
501 battles

it have a range of 8.9, which is shorter than same tier/lower tier DDs/crusiers, and I have a huge dispersion that is worse than any lower tier ships..... 

at least make it have 12+km range and a better dispersion, I am sure I can play way better with a tier one cruiser

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

Actually, its maximum range is 9.8km. You need to get the upgraded FCS for that increased range, 8.9km is stock.

Granted 9.8km is still insufficient, but the horrible accuracy means you still have to get up close and personal at 5-7km or less to do effective damage anyway.

As for dispersion buff, well that's still debatable. WG haven't consider buffing BB at medium and long range yet, only short (3km) range.

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,163 battles

Kawachi is kinda underpowered compared to other warships of the same tier. And she also suffers from harsh match making which makes playing this ship a frustrating experience. 
What to say about her... Kawaii-chi is not Kawaii at all...

Red text. Post edited, user warned.

~Syanda

Edited by Syanda

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

For the Kawachi you'll want to get as close as possible to a target.

DDs and CLs are HE targets, open fire at long range and maneuver back behind an obstacle to avoid getting shot into pieces

by the faster firing vessels.

Unless of course you're with a group of ships, then feel free to turn towards the enemy and unload another salvo before turning around.

Slowing down your ship might be useful after turning your bow towards the enemy, after all you'd want enough time to dodge possible torpedo salvos.

For BBs and CAs you'd prolly want to fire one or two HE salvos until you get close enough for the shotgun effect to be small enough for AP.

I'd say anything below 5km is an AP target and everything above that should eat HE shells.

Remember to switch ammunition early enough to avoid having to reload after already reloading HE for a couple of seconds. (Optimised timing is best timing)

Additionally if your next HE salvo is going to be loaded in less than 12 seconds you're better of switching to AP after firing that salvo.

For AP you'll want to aim so that as many shells as possible will hit the ship's middle section.

An experienced enemy will turn his bow/stern towards you to avoid lethal AP damage, in this case you have two choices.

1.) Wait until he changes course to open fire

2.) Fire one gun in hope to make him turn due to thinking you're firing all guns

(Generally even experienced players will commit to finishing a turning maneuver once it's started)

If by chance you end up on the Ocean map your best bet is to wait until the engagement between two larger forces begins.

As soon as this happens you'll do a Nelson.

I.e. rush into the enemy lines and dodge as many shots as possible until you're in firing range.

I highly suggest using both the premium damage control and the premium repair party.

Use both in tandem to negate fires and damage alike.

Beta Tester
773 posts
796 battles

For the Kawachi you'll want to get as close as possible to a target.

I.e. rush into the enemy lines and dodge as many shots as possible until you're in firing range.

I highly suggest using both the premium damage control and the premium repair party.

Use both in tandem to negate fires and damage alike.

The Kawachi does not rush and only gets close to targets that are asleep.  As I said, just PvE past it.

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

The Kawachi does not rush and only gets close to targets that are asleep. 

20 knots are still 20 knots.

Sooner or later the Kawachi enters firing range and if the player controlling her knows how to dodge shells with BBs

then she'll have plenty of hitpoints remaining to get a good fight.

And that's considering that it's Ocean, i.e. a map the Kawachi will only end up on if thrown into a tier V match...

On any other map the Kawachi can be easily sailed into firing range, all one needs for that is map knowledge and situational awareness.

And if one knows how to dodge with a BB then the usual "DD/CL" corners of the maps are great for farming easy damage on targets that will take

massive damage from HE shells.

Edited by Retia

36 posts
2,915 battles

Listen to what Retia says, I managed to grind past it with a standard account, so if I can do it, you can.  And at that tier I would take the speed and firepower combination of the Kawachi over the awfully slow South Carolina any day of the week.  At least with the Kawachi you can keep up with your cruisers long enough to get within range to use your guns.  By the time I arrive at the battle in my South Carolina everyone is dead and I get focus fired down.

Super Tester
2,725 posts

Kawachi isn't bad, I already passed it and now grinding my tier 4 Myougi to Tier 5 Kongou. You just need tips on how to effectively play Battleships.... and survived probably :P

Tip:

- When encountering enemy Cruiser & Battleship, AP all the way and aim for citadel part of the ship (engine room located under the smoke stacks, magazine room located under each main gun turrets, etc.). Scoring citadel hit means big damage.

- HE shell is reserved for destroyers, as battleship's AP shells overpenetrate the destroyer's armor thus... not effectively damaging the destroyer.

- Aim for the waterline to land accurate. The waterline is the line where the hull of a ship meets the surface of the water*.

- With 30 seconds reload, always check your surroundings & importantly the mini-map.

- Never go straight close towards the enemy, learn when to fall back at right situation & not when you learned you alone against large group.

- Most important thing about battleship, you can't go rambo alone thinking you are indestructible. Always go with support.

Edited by Mingfang47

Beta Tester
99 posts
345 battles

No it isn't underpowered, you're playing it wrong.

Use your terrain to cover yourself from the enemy ships UNTIL they get within range, then blast them with your guns, then move to the next piece of cover.

Dispersion isn't much of a problem, and the guns are just right for citadelling enemy ships.

Kawachi is certainly a fun ship, and the small range is only to make it balanced.

Beta Tester
99 posts
345 battles

- Most important thing about battleship, you can't go rambo alone thinking you are indestructible. Always go with support.

There it is, this guy sums up why so many BB players complain and suck.

It's like T1 Heavy players isn't it?

Beta Tester
773 posts
796 battles

No it isn't. Stop whining and get better.

Yes, it is.  Been there, done that - twice.  It's slow, clumsy with no range that can only shoot stupid enemies who let themselves get too close.

Beta Tester
753 posts
657 battles

No it isn't. Stop whining and get better.

Having played it in CBT and again in OBT. I can safely say that it is bad. But it is a tier 3 ship.

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

i use it as a bait and shield....

let the others cover behind me and shoot the enemy.. while i take damage and became target for enemies HE and AP shell....

Super Tester
808 posts
1,399 battles

I view all kawachis as free kills, since you'd have to be an imbecile to let yourself get within range of those guns.

Edited by iLordShade

Beta Tester
682 posts
4,757 battles

It bad as a stock ship but once you get fully upgrade and in the top tier ... well.. it still not good but it more fun to play in the laevel that at least you not suffer from playing it .... bright side is ... it tier3 so even you dead in first min, you still earn money lol

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

I view all kawachis as free kills, since you'd have to be an imbecile to let yourself get within range of those guns.

It's people with a mindset like this that make grinding much easier.

And the best part? Even if facing a metric ton of data countering their beliefs they will still hold unto them.

Hence one can always enjoy the benefit of never being the focus target... after all it's just a free kill.

My favourite example (While being WG related) is the Tiger tank in WoT.

Ever since the EU beta it was capable of dealing with it's counterparts.

Yet, beginning about half a year after WoT was released the new players started complaining.

"Hurr durr IS and T29 are much better!"

Yet, Tigers were still capable of taking out these tanks (And others) just as easily as vice versa.

Jump forward two years and WG "finally" buffs the Tiger... and what happens? It became grossly OP.

Hence they nerfed it a bit, taking it about half way back to where it used to be stats wise... and what is it now?

Still better than it's counterparts... but hey... why should I complain about it?

If anything the buff makes things even easier for me, and why wouldn't I want an easy gaming experience?

EL8jGdm.jpg

(Something tells me most people won't get this reference)

Edited by Retia

72 posts
2,544 battles

I like how people here diss Kawachi as "being underpowered" and "free food". That's what I like people to think when I grinded in my Kawachi back then.

The trick to playing the Kawachi is to not go broadside like most ships do. Having 4 turrets with 2 guns each pointing the same way sounds tempting but doing so just makes you a big fat target for enemy broadsided ships as well.

Instead, what you should do in a Kawachi is to find your target (preferably cruisers or if you have enough cover, BBs) and charge full speed against them with your ship's bow pointing towards them.

Enemy cruisers will deploy torpedoes against you but you can dodge them easily if you are pointing your bow towards them. You should be able to dodge enemy shots that were fired from the broadside as well if you see them coming, and especially with your bow pointing against them you also reduce your profile and lessen the damage from getting hit by a full salvo. Then when you draw near enough to your target, you should have your front turret and one of the front turrets on your port/starboard that should be able to fire at your target. Once fired, angle your bow so that the other front turret at starboard/port can fire as well, then angle to the other side again where your front turret and the port/starboard are ready to fire once more.

Technically it will look like this -> 1st salvo of 4 shells -> 10 seconds later, 2nd salvo of 2 shells -> 10 seconds later, 3rd salvo of 4 shells. This should be adequate to pressure your targets to resort to evasive maneuvers and in turn losing their focus on firing at you.

Then as you get close enough, engage with your secondary armament, and if you are lucky enough to meet a BB higher tier than you are, just ram them for good money (it's always a good trade). If not, position yourself to have your sides face their bow or stern to allow 4 turrets on the relevant side to engage.

To me, the Kawachi was fun once I figured out I can play it effectively this way - in fact I enjoyed the grind more than I had in the Myogi. I noticed that to most of the other players, the Kawachi was difficult because they can't shake away from the cruiser mentality of fast-firing guns to make up for their firing errors.

Edited by Calderhunt

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

(Something tells me most people won't get this reference)

I do, it was a really good old game that people in my country still play regularly these days. :hiding:

But back onto the topic, my initial impression on the Kawachi back in CBT was positive, but somehow when I retry her in OBT it seems completely different. I guess it was mainly due to the dispersion.

Anyhow, I don't find the range that bad, it's the matchmaking that screws you up, because the Kawachi can meet Fuso and New Mexico. I still don't understand why WG haven't fix BB matchmaking, it's been long after OBT launch already.

72 posts
2,544 battles

Anyhow, I don't find the range that bad, it's the matchmaking that screws you up, because the Kawachi can meet Fuso and New Mexico. I still don't understand why WG haven't fix BB matchmaking, it's been long after OBT launch already.

I don't mind those higher tier BBs, but I do mind the CVs of their tier. I hate things that I cannot shoot/ram into.

Beta Tester
60 posts
7,247 battles

i thought that the Kawachi had problems back in CBT when i mostly played it but i overlooked them and still do now as T3 vehicles aren't suppose to be perfect, you play a few games in it then go to the next vehicle, for example, in WoT the BT7 is considered a pretty mediocre tank but it only took about 12 games to go up a tier. You might find the Kawachi painful to play but at least your not stuck with it for as long as a T8/9 ship.