Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Commander_Dusty

USN DD's "Bad"?

43 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,921 battles

So I USN DD's I admit are quite hard to play, but for players who enjoy a challenge, they can be more fun than any other class of ships.

As a player who prefers fast ships with good gunnery, I like USN cruisers, but I also like the DD's.

So I thought I'd start a thread sharing screenshots of epic games in USN DD's, showing that even supposedly "bad" ships can be good in the right hands :trollface:

Note: This was on the Top hull+ stock torps (need $$ for new torps for more damage), reason being that aircraft have become a bit of a pain recently and I actually got sunk my a CV in this match lol, and sometimes no matter how hard you carry you'll still lose :honoring:

IMG%5D

Edited by Blitzkreig95

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

They aren't rubbish. I actually prefer them over IJN DDs.

Edit: Thanks to Blitzkreig95 for pointing that m͏̺͓̲̥̪í͇͔̠ś̷͎̹̲̻̻̘̝t̞̖͍͚̤k̥̞à̸͕̮͍͉̹̰͚̰ẹ̶̢̪.

Edited by Haku

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

No USN DD are "Bad Ships" - But they are Simply inferior to the other class of ships that is "More competitive" and you are putting yourself at an disadvantage to start with.

Their Gun is Hard to aim, Easy to dodge, Low Damage, Low Fire Chance, Awful Torpedoes until Tier 8 and universally average detectability.

I am not challenging you, but What will you choose - Cleveland or Farragut To Win a game?

Edited by Alvin1020

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

I am not challenging you, but What will you choose - Cleveland or Farragut To Win a game?

That's like comparing apples to oranges.

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

That's like comparing apples to oranges.

If USN DD are Supposed to be used as Anti-DD weapon/ Gun Boats, Why not I just use a Cleveland?

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

No USN DD are "Bad Ships" - But they are Simply inferior to the other class of ships that is "More competitive" and you are putting yourself at an disadvantage to start with.

Their Gun is Hard to aim, Easy to dodge, Low Damage, Low Fire Chance, Awful Torpedoes until Tier 8 and universally average detectqbility.

Some would say that the behaviour of the guns is similar to the USN CLs. You don't get a lot of damage, but your rate of fire is phenomenal, which nullifies the low fire chance anyway, and the short-range of the torpedoes is compensated with better stealth stats and faster to boot.

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

what??  :amazed:

I genuinely do. People have generally wisened up to the low cunning of IJN DDs and are throwing curveballs at them to make the chances of hitting them much harder. A USN DD can fight other DDs and harass CAs, CLs and BBs, not to mention chase after CVs.

Edit: Crap, I mistyped. Should be IJN DDs. :P Thank you for pointing out that m͏̺͓̲̥̪í͇͔̠ś̷͎̹̲̻̻̘̝t̞̖͍͚̤k̥̞à̸͕̮͍͉̹̰͚̰ẹ̶̢̪.

Edited by Haku

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,921 battles

I genuinely do. People have generally wisened up to the low cunning of IJN DDs and are throwing curveballs at them to make the chances of hitting them much harder. A USN DD can fight other DDs and harass CAs, CLs and BBs, not to mention chase after CVs.

You just said you prefer USN DD's over USN DD's lel :trollface: Nah I know you meant IJN
Edited by Blitzkreig95

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

Some would say that the behaviour of the guns is similar to the USN CLs. You don't get a lot of damage, but your rate of fire is phenomenal, which nullifies the low fire chance anyway, and the short-range of the torpedoes is compensated with better stealth stats and faster to boot.

This is the primary issue with USN DDs.

Unless you shoot >11km you will get spotted anyway - and People really love shooting DDs (<<<< Victim of Cleveland in my Sims).

You are Nimble - Yes I agree - But you don't have the health to compensate for Any mistake unlike any other ship. This mean ONE SINGLE Wrong Move will get you killed. ZERO Tolerance to mistake - Yet I don't see any "High" Reward.

ROF is Good, but not enough to compensate for the Ultra low DPS and DPM. It's also pure RNG whether you set something on fire - which mean you cannot control how good you will do no matter how God-Like your gunnery skill is. Not to mention they are Hard to aim and Incredibly easy to dodge.

And Remember, you need to manage all this While still avoiding fire and not tunnel vision.

Edited by Alvin1020

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,921 battles

Agreed, though the only thing that bugs me at the moment isn't the torps or HE damage, its that the guns are made of paper, every game you end up with 1 or 2 destroyed, leaving you without your main armament, forcing you to use fewer guns or go suicidal with torps

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

This is the primary issue with USN DDs.

Unless you shoot >11km you will get spotted anyway - and People really love shooting DDs (<<<< Victim of Cleveland in my Sims).

You are Nimble - Yes I agree - But you don't have the health to compensate for Any mistake unlike any other ship. This mean ONE SINGLE Wrong Move will get you killed. ZERO Tolerance to mistake - Yet I don't see any "High" Reward.

ROF is Good, but not enough to compensate for the Ultra low DPS and DPM. It's also pure RNG whether you set something on fire. Not to mention they are Hard to aim and Incredibly easy to dodge.

And Remember, you need to manage all this While still avoiding fire and not tunnel vision.

Agreed, though the only thing that bugs me at the moment isn't the torps or HE damage, its that the guns are made of paper, every game you end up with 1 or 2 destroyed, leaving you without your main armament, forcing you to use fewer guns or go suicidal with torps

Don't make any mistakes then. The ships are nimble enough that you can make people miss their shots. USN DDs follow the stereotypical American adage: "Fire enough bullets and hope to hit the target." The same thing applies here. Shoot enough shells at the target, with hits, and you'll eventually make it catch fire no matter what.

Attempting to avoid tunnel vision is possible. It comes with time and experience.

Every ship has to deal with destroyed guns. I can only say "Don't get hit, then."

Edited by Haku

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

Don't make any mistakes then.

Then why don't I go play a CV? I can Dominate a game with it if I don't make any mistake. But can you in a USN DD?

This is not an arguement.

USN DDs follow the stereotypical American adage: "Fire enough bullets and hope to hit the target." The same thing applies here. Shoot enough shells at the target, with hits, and you'll eventually make it catch fire no matter what.

Do you think your team will be competent enough for you to have the time to carry a game when you chew down a ship?

And even so, Pray for RNGeus to give you a fire first. Oh and Hope the guy just use the Repair ability.

Attempting to avoid tunnel vision is possible. It comes with time and experience.

Of course it is. But Human make mistakes. We are not machines.

Sorry for if I sound aggressive. I love USN DD too much that I am angry about it.

Edited by Alvin1020

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

Do you think your team will be competent enough for you to have the time to carry a game when you chew down a ship?

And even so, Pray for RNGeus to give you a fire first. Oh and Hope the guy just use the Repair ability.

See, this is a problem with people's conceptions of others and an unfortunate negative aspect of the community. If that were not the case, why do I have the stats I have, then, when most of my games were done by going it alone?

I've made critical citadel salvoes that completely changed the nature of the game when we were on the defensive. I've also been carried when I made a mistake and went right into a salvo of torpedoes. Give them a chance. By all rights, following your logic, I should be looking down at people like you, Blitzkrieg, and Death. I don't. I trust my teammates to perform duties for me (at the very least, hold on long enough). It allows me to enjoy my game more and allows me to fulfill more advanced roles to win the game.

Then why don't I go play a CV?

I can Dominate a game if I don't make any mistake. This is not an arguement.

Edited by Haku

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

See, this is a problem with people's conceptions of others and an unfortunate negative aspect of the community. If that were not the case, why do I have the stats I have, then, when most of my games were done by going it alone?

Because this is called.... "Internet'....?

I've made critical citadel salvoes that completely changed the nature of the game when we were on the defensive. I've also been carried when I made a mistake and went right into a salvo of torpedoes. Give them a chance. By all rights, I should be looking down at people like you, Blitzkrieg, and Death. I don't. I trust my teammates to perform duties for me (at the very least, hold on long enough). It allows me to enjoy my game more and allows me to fulfill more advanced roles to win the game.

Seen this? And it's not unusual.

You are nowhere near as important as an individual in this game, at least compare to World of Tanks. It's Very Very Very Team dependent.

There IS a limit to carry a game - and this is even more so of "A thing" (Intentional not to call it a "Problem") than World of Tanks, just like the Thread a while ago you created in Tanks Forum. And you are in one the Worst Class in the game.

I agree with you - Everyone had The game of their life - and So do I;

Yet I had one of those Utter Rubbish game and some absolute Rockstar Save my A__ and make me look like a complete Newbie.

And thats why I had faith on my teammates, Always, but to an extent. I am not the people looking at XVM see-ing a 30% Win Chance and just straight out surrender. I've won so many of these.

But it doesn't help when you see one team after another crumbles like you wouldn't believe. It's not just me either.

It's just me - Before you trust them, You have to Dis-trust them first. It's just how I develop as a better Tanker, or a Captain.

And I treasure Every Single one of the Random people I met and worked together to fight for Victory. I add Every Single on of them as a friend no matter they are a Unicum or a Complete Newbie. They Earned my Trust And need to be encouraged.

And to Maximize your Winning Chance in a Underwhelming team, CV are Obviously the best class to do that if you assume human don't make mistake under any circumstances.

Whats the point on being a USN DD Given their current state? Even lowering the CTW?

*Video*

And Allow me to modify someone's quote again:

A Good player in a USN DD may have a Good game.

A Good Player in an IJN DD can had a Good game.

A Good player in a Cruiser can had an Excellent game.

A Good player in a Cleveland can had an Awesome game.

A Good player in a Battleship can Carry the Whole team to victory.

A Good player in a Aircraft Carrier Can Reverse an Un-Winnable game to a Massive Victory.

Edited by Alvin1020

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

Seen this? And it's not unusual.

You are nowhere near as important as an individual in this game, at least compare to World of Tanks. It's Very Very Very Team dependent.

There IS a limit to carry a game - and this is even more so of "A thing" (Intentional not to call it a "Problem") than World of Tanks, just like the Thread a while ago you created in Tanks Forum. And you are in one the Worst Class in the game.

I agree with you - Everyone had The game of their life - and So do I;

Yet I had one of those Utter Rubbish game and some absolute Rockstar Save my A__ and make me look like a complete Newbie.

And thats why I had faith on my teammates, Always, but to an extent. I am not the people looking at XVM see-ing a 30% Win Chance and just straight out surrender. I've won so many of these.

But it doesn't help when you see one team after another crumbles like you wouldn't believe. It's not just me either.

It's just me - Before you trust them, You have to Dis-trust them first. It's just how I develop as a better Tanker, or a Captain.

And to Maximize your Winning Chance in a Underwhelming team, CV are Obviously the best class to do that if you assume human don't make mistake under any circumstances.

Whats the point on being a USN DD Given their current state? Even lowering the CTW?

Streaks like that are unusual for me.

I agree with you when the team is important in victory, but in that team, individual skill will help the team shine, much more than in World of Tanks, probably because it's not like you're an AMX 40 trying to shoot at a Maus; every ship can do damage and hurt every other ship. I disagree about distrusting the team first. If I thought like that, I would never have seen opportunities in the game for me to exploit.

What's the point for USN DDs in their current state? Uh...didn't we go over this before?

A USN DD can fight other DDs and harass CAs, CLs and BBs, not to mention chase after CVs.

Edited by Haku

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

A USN DD can fight other DDs and harass CAs, CLs and BBs, not to mention chase after CVs.

You can never chase an IJN CV 1 on 1. Simply Hug Blue line and throw everything at you and no ship can stand it.

Thank God USN CV is still Do-able.

CAs - CA/CLs are too dangerous to be your priority target. Stick with a teammate? When they never cross their Own half? Sorry, I am not sacrificing for such teammates.

I had enough of these people. If they want to camp, Fine then - I will do my own business.

BBs - This is the only thing USN DD can chase ATM. However, the shell travel so slowly plus the Awful Arc, it still rather easy for it to dodge - And he only need to be lucky ONCE to Ruin your day - You need Hundreds of Lucuky-ness Plus skill of people like you. It do works on the Clemson (And thats why it's probably the silently OP ship right now) as people don't had the concept yet in such tier, but it is way harder to do the same in higher tiers. Again, it's obviously easier to just use a IJN DD to Stealth Torp it if the guy is really that _____ to let you keep raining death on him or simply just rain Fire on it with the Cruisers (Easier, Safer).

And all this is given it's a 1 on 1.

Edited by Alvin1020

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

1-on-1? You are aware that this is a team game, right?

Where you see "No, it can't be done," or "I'm not sacrificing myself for such teammates," I see possibilities. Opportunities. Cracks in the enemy line that can be exploited and turned into victory. Nothing is ever impossible.

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

Just to add: I made a mention of this on the World of Tanks forums, here.

http://forum.worldoftanks.asia/index.php?/topic/57822-weve-gone-through-wr-then-wn7-wn8-and-finally/page__pid__1394783#entry1394783

Not using any tactics that are counterproductive to team play? I think you mean "don't use any tactics that are productive to team play".

I did not say "all purples" (as per what you are implying). While that is not the case, a lot of purple players out there (more than you think) do do that. Refusal to share HP, damage, kills even, the insistence that anyone except themselves goes first into the breach. Self-preservation is on the forefront of their minds. This gets carried over into the final end-game content (Clan Wars, tournaments) more often than not. There are unicums who play according to what matters in WNx, instead of whether the team wins or not, and it shows.

You thought this was a problem for greens and blues? It is a problem as well for purples.

While I'm sure that they have found a niche for themselves in being able to grind out games that correspond to being a unicum more often than not (and thus get recognised by top clans, players, etc.) I don't consider them true unicums. In many ways, greens and blues who have the right mentality in World of Tanks are more valuable than purples who are only looking out for #1.

Edited by Haku

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

1-on-1? You are aware that this is a team game, right?

Was quite funny to see you are using "Team" against me now - We reversed our position.

So you are telling me when your team do well, you can do well. So why don't play a ship That can potentially impact a game even more...? That Helps my team more? That Can help my team More To Victory?

Where you see "No, it can't be done," or "I'm not sacrificing myself for such teammates," I see possibilities. Opportunities. Cracks in the enemy line that can be exploited and turned into victory. Nothing is ever impossible.

Nothing is impossible - 100% Agreed.

Problem is, Neither means it's will happen when you Need it to happen. It happen once in 20 games when you need it - What can I do in the other 19 games?

Can I make plays as easily in Tanks to compensate for the 19 times RNG is not on your side? Instead of your skill level, You need Even More RNG to be on your side to pull it off here.

And you further minimize such Incredible Comeback/Carry in a USN DD.

Edited by Alvin1020

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

Was quite funny to see you are using "Team" against me now - We reversed our position.

So you are telling me when your team do well, you can do well. So why don't play a ship That can potentially impact a game even more...? That Helps my team more? That Can help my team More To Victory?

Nothing is impossible - 100% Agreed.

Problem is, Neither means it's will happen when you Need it to happen. It happen once in 20 games when you need it - What can I do in the other 19 games?

Can I make plays as easily in Tanks to compensate for the 19 times RNG is not on your side? Instead of your skill level, You need Even More RNG to be on your side to pull it off here.

And you further minimize such Incredible Comeback/Carry in a USN DD.

Because I play a game "to have fun". If I like USN DDs, I will make it work; watch me go about pulling off epic games.

Since when was I using "team" against you? I've never doubted that the team is all important, but within the team, individual skill (making those crucial citadel shots to break a deadlock) is essential too. In a nutshell, I believe that World of Warships makes individual skill stand out more than World of Tanks, even though team play is also emphasised more often in World of Warships.

How on earth did I get my win rate? Do you want to theoreticise that? I learnt to always do my best, to understand the game's critical point, see things and then use that to unlock the enemy teams. It was something I did in World of Tanks, and I carried that over into World of Warships: intelligent and opportunistic play.

Sign in to follow this