You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
zzzzYeti

The last fighter will not be shot, tricky. Suggestions?

10 comments in this topic

70 posts
890 battles

I am working my way up through the ranks for all USN ships. I have researched the Independence but I think I will need at least 80 more games to earn the credits to purchase it. It's a good thing because I need to practise manual torpedoes under stress, a lot. So I am using my Bogue with 1 fighter and 1 torpedo squad.

But my current tactics are presenting a constant problem. Right at the start I send my fighters out scouting, with the torps following. Often my fighters end up fighting the opponent's fighters near the enemy ships. My torps successfully engage a nearby BB target and head for home. I have shot down a lot of planes and hit one BB with my torpedoes.

Ok, that's the scene set. Now for my problem. 

About half the time, after that start, I have only one surviving fighter with little ammunition. Being smart the enemy CV stops attacking and I have to run my 'last fighter' back from up near the enemy front line, to my carrier to fill the flight from the carrier.

And just then a mixed group of bombers and torpedo bombers pop up on the mini-map heading for me.

Since this happens very often, I do suspect the IJN has sent a notice to all ships about my tactics, because this happens far more often than chance alone.

I know I MUST react or die, NOW!

Sometimes, my torpedo bombers are back landing at the carrier, sometimes on the way.

I have to get my fighter dead now, so I can send up a full flight of fighters to defend my ship. I will survive if I can get them up.

And, now the core problem. I cannot get that 'last fighter' killed. I circle BBs, they don't fire at me. I circle DD, CL, CA, CVs and even Clevelands and no-one opens fire.

My Bogue is dodging bombs and torpedoes furiously but 4 bombs and 8 torpedoes will nearly always kill the Bogue.

I am dead (again) after only a few minutes and what I thought was a good start.

From dead I usually watch my 'last fighter' circle the enemy ships till it falls into the sea.

I am really, really suspecting some smart programmer, has implemented this little tweak just to foil the strategy that fools like me, have worked on. They just make it so no AI will fire on the 'last fighter' and watch the CV newbs squirm.

Please tell me I am a sick deluded conspiracy theorist.

Or convince me to just wait till the other CV makes the first move. You see I suspect that the player that shows his CV plan first, loses, big time. By programmer intent.

I am just trying to scout enemy movements for the team ASAP and get a little manual torpedo practice.

Sorry, but I only post when my frustration levels are very very high.

Edited by zzzzYeti

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

The last plane in the squadron is not shot at because it is a deliberate tactic to force you to spend that extra time returning to the carrier with only one plane before you reload and go again.

Otherwise, by default, the time needed to ready a new squadron to replace the downed one is much shorter than sending the lone plane back to rearm and restock.

There is nothing much you can do except adjust your tactics so that situations like this will not happen again. Either that or find a very trigger-happy ship who is more than willing to destroy your planes for you.

Edited by Haku

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

There's no conspiracy. It's a pretty common tactic, especially among savvy players, to leave one plane in a squadron alive to force the carrier to recall it and have it travel alllll the way back to rearm, instead of killing it and letting the CV launch a fresh squadron.

Given that its been done since CBT, I doubt it has anything to do with your tactics specifically - its just how players deal with carrier planes.

70 posts
890 battles

I'm sorry, I must not explain very well. Or I am just too boring to read the details. Sorry.

I have played over 100 games as CV (only went premium recently).

I know about leaving the last fighter alone when flying CV fighter groups. And yeah, I get to do the laughing quite a lot, by pulling my fighters back and leaving just one to go all the long way home.

That's not what I have a problem with at all.

My point was you cannot suicide that last plane no matter what you do.

If you fly an ordinary squadron over an enemy Cleveland you will not last long at all.

But if you circle a single fighter over an enemy Cleveland - IT WILL NOT SHOOT AT YOU!!

Nor will any other AI controlled AA unit.

THE AI IS LAUGHING AT ME !!

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

If it's not shooting at you, then the player in question may have turned off their anti-air. I've had about a thousand games where I've seen squadrons just utterly blow up, with the last plane exploding as quick (or as slow) as the previous 3-4 planes before it.

If you think there is a problem with the AA damage on last squadrons - make a replay of this happening, submit a bug report, and we'll test and see if its replicable.

70 posts
890 battles

If it's not shooting at you, then the player in question may have turned off their anti-air. I've had about a thousand games where I've seen squadrons just utterly blow up, with the last plane exploding as quick (or as slow) as the previous 3-4 planes before it.

If you think there is a problem with the AA damage on last squadrons - make a replay of this happening, submit a bug report, and we'll test and see if its replicable.

Thank you. I will do as you say.

I just think it is very good quality AI - something I have over the years come to admire in programmers from that part of the world.

I had just hoped a player had come up with a good counter-tactic and was willing to share. But fair enough, no luck.

I am changing my overall strategy to hopefully avoid the problem.

All good.

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

But if you circle a single fighter over an enemy Cleveland - IT WILL NOT SHOOT AT YOU!!

Nor will any other AI controlled AA unit.

THE AI IS LAUGHING AT ME !!

WOW... 

well, i often dont care about this tactic... i keep shooting them up so i can get a medal for it :D a good statistic