You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Gorbon_Rubsay

Artillery Lead Calculation

28 comments in this topic

213 posts
4,335 battles

I was missing a lot of shots where my target was moving towards or away from me so I did some calculation based on a speed multiplier  of 2.6m/s per WOW knot. Adjust your firing range by +/- km according to the following table to compensate for the target moving towards or away from you.

(Shell flight time and range to target show up on ALT sights)

Lead Required if target is moving directly towards/away (KM)
    Target Speed/knots
    Standard BB Fast BB Battle Cruisers US Cruisers Japanese
Cruisers
    20 27 30 33 35
Shell Flight time/S 6               0.31                 0.4                 0.5                 0.5                 0.5
8                 0.4                 0.6                 0.6                 0.7                 0.7
10                 0.5                 0.7                 0.8                 0.9                 0.9
12                 0.6                 0.8                 0.9                 1.0                 1.1
14                 0.7                 1.0                 1.1                 1.2                 1.3

Range adjustment needed if target is moving at 45%
    Target Speed/knots
    20 25 30 35 35
Shell Flight time/S 6               0.22               0.30               0.33               0.36               0.39
8               0.29               0.40               0.44               0.49               0.51
10               0.37               0.50               0.55               0.61               0.64
12               0.44               0.60               0.66               0.73               0.77
14               0.51               0.69               0.77               0.85               0.90

This table works in the vertical (distance) axis but not the horizontal axis (unless you turn off target tracking).

I would very much like to work this out in the horizontal axis too (its not so necessary but I'm interested)  ~ can anyone think of a way of working this out (working with target tracking)?

Edited by Gorbon_Rubsay

Super Tester
1,677 posts

nice.

did you take into account shell arc? afaik I'm seeing and someone here has thrown it out there that USN cruiser although I doubt the entire US itself have high shell arcs. might help to combine gunnery and where to blast them.

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

I waI reall missing a lot of shots where my target was moving towards or away from me so I did some calculation based on a speed multiplier  of 2.6m/s per WOW knot. Adjust your firing range by +/- km according to the following table to compensate for the target moving towards or away from you.

(Shell flight time and range to target show up on ALT sights)

Range adjustment needed if target is moving directly towards/away (KM)
    Target Speed/knots
    Standard BB Fast BB Battle Cruisers US Cruisers Japanese
Cruisers
    20 27 30 33 35
Shell Flight time/S 6                 0.3                 0.4                 0.5                 0.5                 0.5
8                 0.4                 0.6                 0.6                 0.7                 0.7
10                 0.5                 0.7                 0.8                 0.9                 0.9
12                 0.6                 0.8                 0.9                 1.0                 1.1
14                 0.7                 1.0                 1.1                 1.2                 1.3

Range adjustment needed if target is moving at 45%
    Target Speed/knots
    20 25 30 35 35
Shell Flight time/S 6                 0.2                 0.3                 0.3                 0.4                 0.4
8                 0.3                 0.4                 0.4                 0.5                 0.5
10                 0.4                 0.5                 0.6                 0.6                 0.6
12                 0.4                 0.6                 0.7                 0.7                 0.8
14                 0.5                 0.7                 0.8                 0.8                 0.9

This table works in the vertical (distance) axis but not the horizontal axis (unless you turn off target tracking).

I would very much like to work this out in the horizontal axis too (its not so necessary but I'm interested)  ~ can anyone think of a way of working this out (working with target tracking)?

Nice wow how did you even make this table can teach me? I really wanna know how to calculate the distances and angles of the shots with the speed of the ships.

1 post
263 battles

@Gorbon_Rubsay#1

Nice table of arty ranges you made--saludos. But from my experiences in battle so far, you have to do your shots trial-and-error while in combat...no time for calculations and other fancy stuff, actually. And in that other forum, you asked about graduations and scales of knots vs. accuracy, etc., I say you still have to do it trial-and-error and gain experience by rule-of-thumb. Anyway, you made such a good work, Darling.

[AUSNZ]
[AUSNZ]
Super Tester
1,039 posts
7,702 battles

Nice tables Gorbon!

I will have a test tonight and see how it goes on the vertical. If only ships travel in a straight line on any angle, it would be easy.

Horizontally its even easier to work out I think, the only difficulty is gauging an enemies speed.

If they are going full speed, I can generally hit them fairly frequently, its when the speed varies that it throws me as I don't tend to fire a gauging shot as a warning.

213 posts
4,335 battles

Thx for the positive feedback

EvyL> Shell flight time takes shell arc into account so, yes it its accounted for (that's way an easier to use target range vs target speed table isn't possible ~or would be very complicated)

Lupis> The Dumb Dumb version (or what I actually use now): at 15kmish you need to range correct a target going steeply toward or away from you about 1KM  ( most ships are 200m long so that should get you a hit somewhere) unless it's a Standard BB. If the target is moving at a slight angle, you  need to range correct about 500m.

I used to lead a lot less and miss (who would have figured that the Kongo could go 280km/h and cover 1km in under 10 second?)

Davud> 

Shell flight time, distance to target and target speed(guess) are known.

Distance Covered (DC) during shell flight time = flight time (FT)* speed (S)

1 WOW Knot =2.6 WOW meters/s (in reality 1knot =0.5m/s)

Therefore DC=FT*S*2.6

If target is moving at an angle (A)* to you, the Range Difference (RD) due to his movement is the adjacent angle in a right angle triangle where the Distance Covered (DC) is the hypotenuse. Therefore, (as we learned in highschool but actually had to look up on google)

RD=SIN(A)*DC

or in one:

RD=SIN(A)*FT*S*2.6

*angle measured from target moving directly perpendicular (sidways to you)

Edited by Gorbon_Rubsay

213 posts
4,335 battles

Nice tables Gorbon!

I will have a test tonight and see how it goes on the vertical. If only ships travel in a straight line on any angle, it would be easy.

Horizontally its even easier to work out I think, the only difficulty is gauging an enemies speed.

If they are going full speed, I can generally hit them fairly frequently, its when the speed varies that it throws me as I don't tend to fire a gauging shot as a warning.

In the horizontal, working out distance traveled is no problem ~ the problem is gauging distance in the horizontal - since your sights are moving automatically with target tracking there is no point of reference.  

For example, if you use ship length (approx. 200m) it appears on screen as if you are leading about 2 ship lengths at 15km.  However if you turn off target tracking and have  stationary sight, you need to lead by 5 ship lengths. To be useful, we would need to to calculate lead relative to the  automatic sight movement.

Anyhow, trial and error works pretty well in the horizontal since it is easy to observe shell splashes relative to the target ship (I found this hard to gauge in the vertical)

Edited by Gorbon_Rubsay

125 posts
913 battles

you know what would really get peoples jimmies rustled is if wind and ocean currents affecting the trajectory of main gun firing!!! :D

Edited by WolfmanX

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

you know what would really get peoples jimmies rustled is if wind and ocean currents affecting the trajectory of main gun firing!!! :D

The rotation of the earth plays havoc with ballistics.. The Coriolis effect... This would seriously destroy peoples brains. 

Please implement it WG 

Super Tester
1,677 posts

The rotation of the earth plays havoc with ballistics.. The Coriolis effect... This would seriously destroy peoples brains. 

Please implement it WG 

we already have someone who basically took apart one of the rangekeeper's math as well as the wonky shot deviation of ships and YOU want to have windage be a factor?

lolwat.

Super Tester
1,677 posts

I really just "feel" the shots... I don't like math... that's why I ended up here... :hiding:

... so you mean to say you'll slowly stroke the rangekeeper's metal sides inappropri- let's not get to that :hiding:

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

... so you mean to say you'll slowly stroke the rangekeeper's metal sides inappropri- let's not get to that :hiding:

now go and work that into the 4 word story redux ;)

213 posts
4,335 battles

Thanks for the range keeping link. V. interesting.

On that topic, it is much harder to hit in the vertical than the horizontal where as IRL, range finding (and therefore the vertical was much harder).

What if WG made horizontal aiming easier (significantly reduce shell flight time by giving shell velocity the same 2.6X speed multiplier as ships) and made elevation manual?

It would change game tactics so that rather than trying to get your ship perpendicular to the target, you would try to get your ship broadside to the target (currently a no no) as IRL.

We would could all play Gorillas to train up. 

Edited by Gorbon_Rubsay

125 posts
913 battles

Thanks for the range keeping link. V. interesting.

On that topic, it is much harder to hit in the vertical than the horizontal where as IRL, range finding (and therefore the vertical was much harder).

What if WG made horizontal aiming easier (significantly reduce shell flight time by giving shell velocity the same 2.6X speed multiplier as ships) and made elevation manual?

It would change game tactics so that rather than trying to get your ship perpendicular to the target, you would try to get your ship broadside to the target (currently a no no) as IRL.

We would could all play Gorillas to train up. 

if you want IRL situations why not add weather and ocean currents as well? ==

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,562 posts

if you want IRL situations why not add weather and ocean currents as well? ==

make everyone do gun fire based on paper plotting (how it was done before radar targeting)