You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
DepthCharger

Stealth Torpedos 0_o

31 comments in this topic

12 posts
17 battles

I'm in my cannon magnet Phoenix IV when I dispatch a enemy DD at medium range. I continue heading straight in external view mode when directly in front of me 4 torpedos suddenly appear, literally like they just spawned in out of nowhere. No enemy ship with 7k except for the sinking destroyer, no planes either. I counted 3 seconds before they stuck me, had zero time to evade. Either my crew are drunk, blind, completely retarded or this has to be a bug.

Does this game record replays like WoT? I wanted to watch it again as I'm still perplexed as to where they came from.

Beta Tester
60 posts
7,251 battles

i know its frustrating but you need to remember a few things , when there's a DD near, torpedoes will appear.

When fighting a DD and just moving in general you need to wiggle your ship as to reduce the likeliness of a torpedo becoming friends with your ship. when dodging torpedoes also slow down or speed up as it increase the likeliness of a dodge as well also IJN torpedoes have a good range, 8-10Km on most and up to 20km at higher tier, but they are balanced by a slowish speed and most players will spot them before getting close to the intended target. also look up other posts for more tips, so many people post similar things and many tips are handed out, as well as abuse but that's up to the red ink fairy to control

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

I'm in my cannon magnet Phoenix IV when I dispatch a enemy DD at medium range. I continue heading straight in external view mode when directly in front of me 4 torpedos suddenly appear, literally like they just spawned in out of nowhere. No enemy ship with 7k except for the sinking destroyer, no planes either. I counted 3 seconds before they stuck me, had zero time to evade. Either my crew are drunk, blind, completely retarded or this has to be a bug.

Does this game record replays like WoT? I wanted to watch it again as I'm still perplexed as to where they came from.

That mean your Commander don't have the Torpedo skills yet so you can't detect long range Torpedos and also yes they replay but you need to edit the files. Also is detected a enemy DD* Not Dispatched a enemy DD.....Manning the Phoenix IV Guns* not Magnet the Phoenix IV lastly is struck me* not stuck me..... And with 3 seconds you can evade a Torpedo with your Phoenix IV as she had a great manuverability... Please edit and change your sentences.......

Edited by davud1537

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Sounds like the DD got it's launch off before you killed it. As other posters have mentioned, change your course frequently when a DD is about (or heck, just do it all the time) or suffer the consequences. 

That mean your Commander don't have the Torpedo skills yet so you can't detect long range Torpedos and also yes they replay but you need to edit the files. Also is detected a enemy DD* Not Dispatched a enemy DD..... You don't deploy a ship ....change it!

Dispatch is a synonym for kill, davud.

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

Sounds like the DD got it's launch off before you killed it. As other posters have mentioned, change your course frequently when a DD is about (or heck, just do it all the time) or suffer the consequences. 

Dispatch is a synonym for kill, davud.

Sounds werid lol.
Edited by davud1537

350 posts

That means your Commander doesn't have the Torpedo skills yet so you can't detect long range torpedoes and also, yes there are replays but you need to edit the files. Also the term is detected an enemy DD* not dispatched an enemy DD.....By dispatched the OP probably means sunk it Manning the Phoenix IV Guns* not Magnet I believe the OP meant it's a magnet as in it attracts enemy fire the Phoenix IV lastly is struck me* not stuck me..... And with 3 seconds you can evade a Torpedo with your Phoenix IV as she had a great manuverability... Please edit and change your sentences.......

Since you seem to be a stickler for correct English, I have taken the liberty of fixing yours.

Maybe please edit and change your own sentences before you attempt (poorly) to correct someone else's.

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

Since you seem to be a stickler for correct English, I have taken the liberty of fixing yours.

Maybe please edit and change your own sentences before you attempt (poorly) to correct someone else's.

Currently using mobile devices to type so hard for me to edit this with the auto correct spelling.... -.-

350 posts

Currently using mobile devices to type so hard for me to edit this with the auto correct spelling.... -.-

Maybe the OP was too. Actually, apart from his one spelling mistake, his use of English is vastly superior, and it's a quite articulate post.

Edited by FG_IMONABOAT

[151ST]
In-Training Moderator
95 posts
4,644 battles

Yup. I reckon we can stop correcting the grammar and spelling of other people's posts thanks. Back on topic please.

Cheers.

575 posts
5,354 battles

The issue I see here is WG has surface torpedoes working as if they were fired from a submarine. The fact that they magically appear a few hundred meters from you is proof of this. In WW2, when ships in visual range, fired torpedoes, the ship being fired on would spot these. Why? Ships had a number of lookouts stationed with powerful binoculars for this purpose and for spotting planes. These binoculars are stationed all around the ships in this game. Ship fired torpedoes do not run deep as they have them in this game. They leave a wake that can be followed. Case in point, the captain of the Enterprise during the battle of Guadalcanal was able to evade numerous torpedoes dropped on him by 3 different Japanese torpedo squadrons. Not one hit his ship. 

I understand this is not real life but an arcade game, but not being able to see where the torpedoes were launched from or where they were dropped by planes, makes torpedoes over powered because you cannot react to them until the 'magically appear.' As a former 15 year submarine torpedoman veteran, I can tell you that even a submerged torpedo can be seen coming in on a ship further out than a few hundred meters. The spotting mechanic needs to be fixed that pushes the spotting range out at least to 1 to 1.5 kilometers if not 2. Why? Because contrary to popular believe, torpedoes fired from ships or dropped from planes did not have the kind of hit rate that you see in this game.

It's gotten to the point that when torpedoes magically appear in front my bow, on my port or starboard beam, I don't even evade it anymore because I know I'm going to be hit. The whole torpedo mechanic is completely out of balance with the rest of the combat system. This really needs to be toned down so that we don't have the proliferation of torpedoes as we do now. Game or not, the way this mechanic is, it is not balanced. The way it is now, torpedoes are the counter to Battleships, not other Battleships. 1 single destroyer can get into firing range on a battleship, fire off a full spread from 1 or 2 launchers, and good by battleship. The BB cannot see where they are at until the 'magically appear.' During WW2 any destroy that made a torpedo run on a battleship or cruiser (of any type) paid the price for doing so.  On top of rebalancing torpedoes, WG needs to buff the secondary guns to deal with fast moving ships coming in to make torpedo runs enough to the point that it will become more a deterrent. Because battleships only defense is their armor and secondary guns against fast moving ships firing torpedoes, right now, both are woefully inadequate for that task.

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

You do know you're not supposed to stay on a straight heading, right? Weave in and out. It will screw up the destroyers' aim.

575 posts
5,354 battles

You do know you're not supposed to stay on a straight heading, right? Weave in and out. It will screw up the destroyers' aim.

In any other ship, yes. Doing that in a battleship is rather tenuous at best. But that's not the point. It is the torpedo mechanic overall. A ship in visual and torpedo range fires torpedo, targeted ship should see it the moment the 2 to 3 ton weapons hit the water. They do not have that spotting mechanic in the game. They are using submarine launched torpedo mechanics for ship launched weapons. This is why you cannot see them coming until it is too late. No amount of course changing is going to truly offset a DD's torpedo launch if they watch your course after the change and adjust to intersect your ships projected course and CPA. It's simple geometry that anyone can use, in their head if they understand how it works. The OP is correct in his belief these weapons are stealth weapons because they are until they are within a few hundred meters.

125 posts
913 battles

got only 1 thing to say to you OP

Situational awareness

a number of players here dont even have a clue whats going on. look at your minimap. look around your ship. if you see an exclamation mark it means youre spotted. when you get spotted it means you should move away unless you know how to deal with your target. going in yolo wont get you very far. if you think torps are going to come to you then retreat. even if theres no torps, assume there are then retreat.

Super Tester
2,314 posts
7,096 battles

Wolf.... We DD, torpedo CA/CL and CV have repeatedly time any again tell them at our expense. Did they listen? Nope.

Personally, between gunning down a sinking enemy ship and breaking off action because I suspect there's DDs lurking and/or torpedo spotted, I'd rather give up on the coup de grace shot on that low health target just to live a little while more. 

Super Tester
2,725 posts

Never go straight forever or else those 10km torpedoes will definitely kill you.

Or don't get tunnel visioning..

Edited by Mingfang47

Already in Alpha Testers
300 posts
938 battles

It's gotten to the point that when torpedoes magically appear in front my bow, on my port or starboard beam, I don't even evade it anymore because I know I'm going to be hit. The whole torpedo mechanic is completely out of balance with the rest of the combat system. This really needs to be toned down so that we don't have the proliferation of torpedoes as we do now. Game or not, the way this mechanic is, it is not balanced. The way it is now, torpedoes are the counter to Battleships, not other Battleships. 1 single destroyer can get into firing range on a battleship, fire off a full spread from 1 or 2 launchers, and good by battleship. The BB cannot see where they are at until the 'magically appear.' During WW2 any destroy that made a torpedo run on a battleship or cruiser (of any type) paid the price for doing so.  On top of rebalancing torpedoes, WG needs to buff the secondary guns to deal with fast moving ships coming in to make torpedo runs enough to the point that it will become more a deterrent. Because battleships only defense is their armor and secondary guns against fast moving ships firing torpedoes, right now, both are woefully inadequate for that task.

So basically what you are saying is that cruisers and destroyers should have absolutely no chance against a battleship. This is no doubt the reality but it does not make for a particularly balanced game experience, unless you want the game to devolve into World of Aircraft Carriers and Support Ships which would more closely reflect WW2 naval warfare.

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

So basically what you are saying is that cruisers and destroyers should have absolutely no chance against a battleship. This is no doubt the reality but it does not make for a particularly balanced game experience, unless you want the game to devolve into World of Aircraft Carriers and Support Ships which would more closely reflect WW2 naval warfare.

This.

Seriously, the best thing to do is pretend you're playing Star Craft with one faction being IJN and another USN. 'Reality' has nothing to do with it as a BB would smash anything else (that's why they were built) unless there's a CV around to smash everything without ever getting within 200km of their targets.

Utterly pointless looking at this game in any other way as there are so many unrealities in it that trying to select one becomes silly.

All that remains is for WG magically to show they can balance even 25% as well as Star Craft.

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

Never go straight forever or else those 10km torpedoes will definitely kill you.

Or don't get tunnel visioning..

You said don't go straight but I got rekt by Fubuki torps when I just start my evasive manuver.