Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
silenthunter19944

How to play US DD ?

18 comments in this topic

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

How on Earth do I play a U.S. DD ? Don't even start with play as a DD hunter because everyone know that. How can i deal as much damage as a IJN DD with their ridiculous 5-20 km torpedo that can kill any battleship on the same tier with just 3 hits? idk about what you guys think but I think that the U.S. DD will never be as effective as any IJN DD in this game because of the absurd torpedo damage dealt by IJN DD. They can get 5-7/ match easily. I have never ever seen anyone in a USN DD kill more than 5 people and even if I see someone that killed 5 ships in a USN DD that's extremely extremely rare. Meanwhile just go for a walk in WOWS and you will see IJN DD racking up 6 kills all day. The most kills that I have got in my USN DD is 4 kills (Clemson) and I must to admit that all USN DD captains are better than IJN captains because you must to have some balls to get within 1-3 km of an enemy ship and torp it. Meanwhile IJN DDs captains are basically submarine and just flooding the place with torpedoes and not getting spotted. The U.S. DD detec range must be buffed by at least 800 meters because seriously the IJN DD can spot you 1-2 km before you can spot him and he might have launch torpedoes at you and spotted you for his team already and what he does next is just pull out and repeat the process in 30-60 seconds. 

Beta Tester
86 posts
208 battles

Simple. You don't play US DDs, at ALL. You play those Imperialist DDs, but not the USN.

US DDs are serious business, so you don't play them.

However you only go through them when:
1.) You want to get a specific ship (in my case Fletcher)

2.) You're ready to go through pain and suffering. The US DDs is like the Tiger I line on WoT, it's flawed and nerfed on every respect.

Right now can't say US DD skippers are better than their Imperialist counterpart. Imperialist DD skippers are crafty and stealthy, they would never engage on a gunfight because they know they'll immediately lose to a US DD. They also stay away from a US DD, for the fear of joining their comrades on the iron bottom sound. 

Well at least your mere presence can stave off those Imperialist torpedo boats. Also with the so called "buffs" to US DDs, you'll be able to help your team more, giving a US DD more use. Lastly, this might help: Fleet first, frags later. By keeping your capital ships and cruisers alive, they'll take care of the bigger ships for you. Total contrast to IJN DDs' frags first, self second, fleet never.

679 posts
3,522 battles

US DDs are awesome, but they are high risk high reward, low risk low reward ships.

Simple rule

stealth to island

jump BB at 6 km

prow onwards to 4-2km, race right at them

turn and torp and then prow on again

lose 1/2 to all hp

kill BB in torp spread of glory

repeat if not dead

rewards are huge but so are costs....

death 50/50 in my experience

Super Tester
2,725 posts

How on Earth do I play a U.S. DD ? Don't even start with play as a DD hunter because everyone know that.

I'm sorry but that's my answer.

But seriously here are you gonna do:

- Encountered DD, deal as much as damage as possible & watch out for torp spread.

- Always read your mini-map to find enemy opening or route to flank or route to support.

- Take a easy on your trigger finger. Stealth is your only survival.

- Most players are tunnel visioning & distracted, never engage a distracted target, especially enemy Cruiser, beyond your "Detection range".

- Island is your friend. :great:

- Destroyer is like your Light Tank back in the WoT. Always plan ahead.

350 posts

I got to the Mahan but sold it out of sheer frustration. I am supposed to hunt IJN DDs yet they outspot me by 2.4 kms? Yeah nah. If I fire my guns at max range I get detected? Yeah, but nah.

I did the ambush BB scenario many times, it works sometimes, but getting lit by air or a crafty IJN DD means that you have to break off or move to spot the IJN DD and try and kill him while dodging CA fire.

I'll focus on the IJN line for now and revisit the US DDs if they make them competitive at tier.

Alpha Tester
982 posts

I suffer enough in game without feeling the need to torture myself with US DD.

After I see what the torp upgrade is for the Sims I "might" consider playing more.

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

How to play USN DD:

Don't play it until they fix them.

Does people really think a 0.8 Second Reduction on Rudder shift time and 1 use of barrage solve their problem?

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

As for lower tiers, learn to anticipate where enemy salvos will land and maneuver around them while returning fire.

Depending on the target you can easily get a ton of damage in while never being hit once.

The best tier to train this is prolly tier II-III where you're likely to meet St. Louis class ships.

Otherwise most CAs with fast reload work, too.

Beta Tester
36 posts
1,887 battles

Not sure about higher tiers but you can do well in a lower tier US DD. Here is the result of one of the games i  had in a Nicholas.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=501931831

Edited by Death1981

Beta Tester
753 posts
657 battles

How to play USN DD:

Don't play it until they fix them.

Does people really think a 0.8 Second Reduction on Rudder shift time and 1 use of barrage solve their problem?

Bring back OBT level of HE for USN DD's will though :P

[APS]
80 posts
6,459 battles

Having started Japanese, I'm really loving my Clemson. The guns. Did I mention the guns?

Yes, my Minekaze has better torps but that often gets me killed trying to use them.

US DDs seem to be faster so far which is great for capping. Not great points but it feels so good.

22 posts
27 battles

US DD rely on ambush tactics to get kills. You need to use terrain and your smokescreen to be properly effective. Many a battleship has sailed into my torps when they round the island. From what I've seen IJN DD seem to be snipers in regards to torps. The Gearing imo has a lot more potential than the Isokaze due to the fact that the guns can kill. Combined with a decent 16.5 km range, it looks like a reasonably good ship.

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

The Gearing imo has a lot more potential than the Isokaze due to the fact that the guns can kill.

EvN7VKA.jpg

Shimakaze you mean, My friend?

Edited by Alvin1020

Sign in to follow this