Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Retia

Simple to understand and with Great Justice

11 comments in this topic

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

Dear WG and readers,

After being involved with World of Tanks (WoT) since the initial beta days on the EU server and greatly liking WoT I found myself fairly excited to hear about the coming release of World of Warships (WoWS).

I entered the alpha test due to sacrifices of great pain and personal loss and afterwards bought the Triple CBT ship package...

Oh, not because I wanted to grind like mad as soon as OBT started... no, it was a future investment for the times post release.

During the test phase (I.e. since alpha, although I wasn't in the first wave) I saw great potential in the game, however since I also saw great potential in

World of Warplanes (WoWP) I was hoping for the best and preparing for the worst.

Nonetheless I had good fun during both alpha and closed beta, however soon realised that a great amount of content won't be finished until much later.

Jump forward a bit and here we are in the open beta.

Obviously many things are still broken, balance is mostly done up to tier V, if one was benevolent up to tier VI, CVs are an utter mess that prolly won't

be fully fixed until release, and many other things are out of order.

However it's good to see that with every major patch WG is not only adding new content (A new ship here, a new map there) but also actively tries to

fix broken things like the "meh" matchmaking.

Of course the matchmaker won't properly work until much later, after all WoT's matchmaking was at +-3 for the longest time and for some tanks it was even higher due to WG not having the time to make proper fixed. (Knock knock Mr. KV-1 with a KV-2 turret)

Luckily the next patch already brings improvements, but overall I won't expect much until the number of ships, maps and patches is higher~

I'm also happy about the changes to the Blue Line (aka map border), although it was fairly easy to hit players by adjusting my aim I would always

miss a salvo or two, or to the very least a couple shots.

With the new system it's much easier to hit blue lining targets. (Although I would've prefered a Kraken to eat ships... :( )

As for the CV situation, as mentioned above CVs are in for a massive overhaul.

I've written about this since alpha and I continue to believe that WG will pull something like they did with many aspects of WoT.

Some minor changes are already in place or coming in 0.4.1, but the real deal is still up ahead.

Whatever that "real deal" is... I don't know, I can come up with theories and put up idea and opinions but overall I believe we'll

see a much more complex and mostly on aerial superiorty (fighter combat) focused gameplay in the future.

I wouldn't want to write too much about this as I've written small books on this before during alpha/cbt and don't consider it much of an issue

that requires talking about as much, since WG has realised that CVs need an overhaul, all that's left for the playerbase and myself is to wait.

Finally I would like to say that atleast the lower and mid tiers are fairly well balanced and so far I've failed to find a ship that I didn't like.

For example the US DDs feature great maneuverability combined with strong guns and short range torpedoes.

Now the short range torpedoes are really just for ambushes or wild rushes, however the guns... THOSE GUNS!

Those guns have slightly worse accuracy and damage than the JP DDs, however their reload speed makes up for it.

Additionally the damage and accuracy are good enough to spam any ship to death, especially CAs and BBs have a hard time dealing with it

due to their usually long shell flight time and worse maneuverability.

The amounts of time where I fight a CA or BB with my DD and it either decides to run away or slowly dies to the firepower of my 128mm guns~

Good times~ :3

And also why I'll prolly stick to the engine boost rather than using the AA ability.

To finish up this post I would like to say, yeah, WoWS isn't close to being finished... that's a given, however what little is available works.

Some stuff (as mentioned above) doesn't work well, some stuff doesn't work at all.

My tip for anyone who feels mostly negative about WoWS is to stick to low or mid tiers (I-V) as those are where the most fun can be had.

If one doesn't want to play low tiers because one finds them boring but still mostly feels negatively about WoWS I suggest to just stop playing.

This is not meant to be a "Omg get lost, WG superior, go play Hello Kitty Online!" herpa derp comment.

Instead it's logical advice to play what's fun to play, after all games are for entertainment and if WoWS can't provide this for one yet,

then the best choice is to stop playing and return in the future.

See you on the battlefield red SEA :honoring:

Edit:

There is no parody there is only Zuul

Edited by Retia

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

This is why Retia is so well respected in both the WoWS and WoT forums.

I'm not only cynical to the heart but also stubborn, sarcastic and generally lazy.

I will never in all of my life understand why people would respect me... :amazed:

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

I'm not only cynical to the heart but also stubborn, sarcastic and generally lazy.

I will never in all of my life understand why people would respect me... :amazed:

Well, you do like bacon, that counts for something.

Already in Alpha Testers
300 posts
938 battles

Because you are sensible. And bacon!

Sign in to follow this