Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
_Spawny_

Need advice on Aoba crew skills

19 comments in this topic

1,054 posts
3,918 battles

As per topic, what would be the best skill set for the awesome aoba and later on the myoko?

I have 10 skill points atm and am looking for some input on what would be best for it. I have put 3 skills on survivability atm and plan to reskill.

For Mogami crew, i plan to use the 155mm gun and have a kuma crew with the 20% firing range skill.

Thanks.

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

Tier 1 would be "Basics of Survivability", since a shorter fire/flood period is always better, especially with the Cleveland being what it is and you're at the same tier as her.

Tier 2 is quite tricky. I'd have automatically said "Fire Prevention", but you face the Cleveland...so I'll just go with "Torpedo Armament Expertise," because people don't expect cruisers to have torpedoes.

Tier 3, "High Alert" or "Superintendent". I went with "Superintendent" but bear in mind that I took that perk with a view of not retraining my commander all the way to the Zaou Senjou. Also those planes are hardier and yet more fragile than you think in the right situations, so having one more plane is always good. If you want to take as little damage as possible from fire/floods, "High Alert" would be good.

Tier 4, "Advanced Firing Training" or "Last Stand"; the Aoba, has good AA. It's not Cleveland-level, but it's good enough to make CVs think twice about circling you.

Edited by Haku

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

I'd rather use 20cm guns on Mogamin since they have greater range and punch

I was actually planning to use the 155 mm guns, but since they are nerfing that, yeah...I'm going to go for the 203 mm guns.

I'll probably reset my commander's skills too to include firefighting skills, since that seems to be the main problem for it.

Edited by Haku

Beta Tester
506 posts
1,386 battles

I was actually planning to use the 155 mm guns, but since they are nerfing that, yeah...I'm going to go for the 203 mm guns.

I'll probably reset my commander's skills too to include firefighting skills, since that seems to be the main problem for it.

I thought they only nerfed the survivability of the 155 mm gun turrets.

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

Uh...isn't that a nerf to the practicality of the 155 mm guns?

Beta Tester
506 posts
1,386 battles

Uh...isn't that a nerf to the practicality of the 155 mm guns?

It depends on the practical level though. IIt's not like you are an Atlanta ship where you usually don't finish games with all your turrets intact. 

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

Well...I guess I'm used to the 203 mm guns on the Myoukou, and Aoba, and Furutaka.

Beta Tester
506 posts
1,386 battles

Well...I guess I'm used to the 203 mm guns on the Myoukou, and Aoba, and Furutaka.

Yeah the 203 is pretty underrated becoz how OP Cleveland triple turrets layout is. Furutaka just had the bad combination of lack of maneuverability, long turret traverse speed, and long reload. Aoba is a lot better since it's very maneuverable, so you can deploy fire and run tactic. Myoko has the potential to inflict a lot of damage thx to its 5 turrets layout. 

3 posts
1,588 battles

Hey, I've just got my Aoba in the past few weeks (feels damn good since I had her in CBT) and for skills I would recommend

Level 1: Basic fire training

Level 2: Torpedo Armament expertise or Fire prevention (comes down to how much you use torps. I use em heavily so I went torpedo expertise)

Level 3: High alert, this is due to the fact that the defensive fire ability is no longer a limited use consumable like in CBT but rather timed, meaning high alert is far more useful

Level 4: Advance fire training, since as you go further into the tree the AA only gets better so I find it better to prepare for that.

Level 5: I'm not this far yet but I'm torn between the -34% module fragility, concealment and jack of all trades. However I'm leaning towards jack of all trades.

Anyway enjoy the Aoba, it's amazing once you complete the grind in Furutaka. Your turrets actually turn!!

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

I resent that. Furutaka is a very, very good ship that suffers from being the first of a radically different line of heavy cruisers (compared to its predecessor, the oversized destroyer light cruiser that is the Kuma). Thus, it is not a natural ship for an IJN CA/CL player to learn at first.

Aoba benefits from increased firepower and manoeuvrability, and the Myoukou continues that (with more emphasis on firepower).

The heavy cruiser line has good AA, too, and you have access to torpedoes, adding another avenue of attack for your opponent to worry about.

Edited by Haku

Super Tester
1,677 posts

I resent that. Furutaka is a very, very good ship that suffers from being the first of a radically different line of heavy cruisers (compared to its predecessor, the oversized destroyer light cruiser that is the Kuma). Thus, it is not a natural ship for an IJN CA/CL player to learn at first.

Aoba benefits from increased firepower and manoeuvrability, and the Myoukou continues that (with more emphasis on firepower).

The heavy cruiser line has good AA, too, and you have access to torpedoes, adding another avenue of attack for your opponent to worry about.

I currently roll with the Furutaka's commander having the reduced damcon time, shell switch change and knowing when you're seen at line 1, the skill where guns aim marginally faster at line 2 and the reduced damcon time at line 3 and I most certainly feel I derped somewhere in selecting skills since I usually am in the ranges of 6 to 11 km when during the opening act.

I am not sure if this skillset can fit Aoba as well.

btw gais, to those that are seasoned, why not edit the crap out of the WoWS page in the WG wiki?

Edited by EvyL

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

I'm not interested in sharing all of my thought processes with everyone. Only those who worship our beloved troll god. 

Alpha Tester
512 posts
308 battles

Fire prevention is a trap, it's multiplicative, so the actual percentage it reduces the chance of fire by is very small, and not worth picking over other options.

Beta Tester
317 posts
953 battles

I tried Furutaka lastnight on the test server, and IMHO it is not a bad ship after the buff. Feels slightly sluggish, but it could be caused by my higher pings on test server

3 posts
1,588 battles

She isn't terrible it just there are some things that needed improvement, I mean she has the survivability that Kuma lacks. Like everyone I had some brilliant matches in her and some terrible ones, but anyway that's history, she did her job and served me well in tier V.

I tried Furutaka lastnight on the test server, and IMHO it is not a bad ship after the buff. Feels slightly sluggish, but it could be caused by my higher pings on test server

I may just have to save the credits and get her back for a bit to try her out. It'd be great to see her in her '40s retrofit with the dual gun turrets, however so long as they gave her a bit of a buff that's all that matters.

Sign in to follow this