Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
zzzzYeti

Surely torpedoes go too fast in the game.

14 comments in this topic

70 posts
890 battles

Yes, I have spent some hours searching with various search terms, but the forum has so many torpedo threads.

And I expect to be told I am an ignorant and so on.

But please don't insult my mother - she is a lovely little lady of 94 years, who likes to watch me play - she was a nurse for the shockingly injured of WW2 and stayed in the job till long after the war.

The type 93 in game runs at 67 knots - in reality it ran at maximum 52 knots.

The Whitehead in game runs at 49 knots - in reality it ran at maximum 45 knots.

And similar for all the types I can find information on.

I am playing a few hundred games of the New Mexico to earn some money, and I keep thinking it's a bit difficult at 21 knots to avoid them.

OK, that's all. Open fire on me - I am the big slow target.

GL, HF.

;P

Alpha Tester
982 posts

Off with his bow :izmena:

His stern too :izmena:

Just kidding mate :teethhappy:.

A short answer for you is that this is more game than simulator. If things are way out of whack with reality it's for gameplay purposes not historical accuracy. 

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

So does Planes, shells, Ships, and everything else

Joke aside

The reason for that is, for balancing and WG found the data entirely different from what you said about them

But it is just IMO

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,563 posts

more like WG is getting info from the source and not from some Wiki, so you will see various speeds/penetrations/captains tea/coffee/rum issues being different to what you find on the net.

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

Don't forget that torpedoes could also travel much, much further, but they had their range limited to avoid everybody who had torpedoes spamming narrow passageways, straits and choke points with torpedoes.

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

torpedo are already nerf hard than any weapon on this game.
most IJN ship don't equip long lances that go 20km "because of game balancing"
you can also see them coming at you at more that 2km away, while in INL you will never see them coming because their trail are harder to see than conventional torpedo. "because of game balancing"

as long as you constantly changer you course, speed and never go near less than 2km near any vessel with armed with torpedo they will never hit at all.

btw its easier to avoid torpedo on american BB like new mexico because of their smaller turning radius compared to IJN BB.

Beta Tester
114 posts
2,025 battles

torpedo are already nerf hard than any weapon on this game.

most IJN ship don't equip long lances that go 20km "because of game balancing"

you can also see them coming at you at more that 2km away, while in INL you will never see them coming because their trail are harder to see than conventional torpedo. "because of game balancing"

as long as you constantly changer you course, speed and never go near less than 2km near any vessel with armed with torpedo they will never hit at all.

btw its easier to avoid torpedo on american BB like new mexico because of their smaller turning radius compared to IJN BB.

Maybe on a cruiser or destroyer.

On a battleship? Not so much.

Already in Alpha Testers
300 posts
938 battles

I would think that torpedos in real life did not run at a set speed but rather ran at speeds dependant on factors such how much fuel was on board, ocean currents, running depth and probably on whole host of other factors. I don't think there would be anything to gain by modelling these effects in game, so instead it is easier to just say torps run at a certain speed which is comparable to average running speeds.

Obviously the quicker a torp runs the less time the target has to avoid, but given DD's rely on hitting with torps in order to have an impact on the result of a battle nerfing torp speeds would be a major nerf to DD's.

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

Maybe on a cruiser or destroyer.

On a battleship? Not so much.

unless your on stock BB hull evading torpedo is not that hard. just by constantly changing your course and speed every couple of seconds will make any torpedo fire at you using aim indicator miss. 

70 posts
890 battles

more like WG is getting info from the source and not from some Wiki, so you will see various speeds/penetrations/captains tea/coffee/rum issues being different to what you find on the net.

I am very very sorry, but that is way too optimistic, for just so many reasons.

I have spent the last ten years studying WW2 military history, and I have 20 years of academic training. I am surrounded by about 1000 primary and secondary sources (books, etc.) - it's a  cluttered space. But I agree I did use Wiki data, this time. It's easier in a forum like this. And I worked in the games industry myself for many many years.

1. Wikipedia is actually pretty good. It's careful not to exaggerate. It's only moderately biased. It's based on referenced facts.

2. The Soviet now Russian military archives are largely closed these days. There was a period after Glasnost where access was good but those times are gone. No-one gets in, Russians particularly; the current version of myths will be preserved.

3. The idea that the Belarusians have better knowledge of Japanese military details is a bit difficult. While the US had little right to claim victory over Japan alone, the US did unfairly and solely occupy the country. I doubt the Soviets ever saw a type 93, much less test fired one.

4. and I won't bore the crowd anymore.

The whole idea that Belarusians or Russians or any ex-Soviet group know more is maskirovka at best.

You overstate your case, too much, to avoid a reply.

Even though, the Belarusians are truly my favourite people and include all the most intelligent people I have ever met.

Again, I am sorry.

1,230 posts
2,418 battles

I am very very sorry, but that is way too optimistic, for just so many reasons.

I have spent the last ten years studying WW2 military history, and I have 20 years of academic training. I am surrounded by about 1000 primary and secondary sources (books, etc.) - it's a  cluttered space. But I agree I did use Wiki data, this time. It's easier in a forum like this. And I worked in the games industry myself for many many years.

1. Wikipedia is actually pretty good. It's careful not to exaggerate. It's only moderately biased. It's based on referenced facts.

2. The Soviet now Russian military archives are largely closed these days. There was a period after Glasnost where access was good but those times are gone. No-one gets in, Russians particularly; the current version of myths will be preserved.

3. The idea that the Belarusians have better knowledge of Japanese military details is a bit difficult. While the US had little right to claim victory over Japan alone, the US did unfairly and solely occupy the country. I doubt the Soviets ever saw a type 93, much less test fired one.

4. and I won't bore the crowd anymore.

The whole idea that Belarusians or Russians or any ex-Soviet group know more is maskirovka at best.

You overstate your case, too much, to avoid a reply.

Even though, the Belarusians are truly my favourite people and include all the most intelligent people I have ever met.

Again, I am sorry.

Only thing that's true in this game is ship models

If torps are slower, DDs will cry

70 posts
890 battles

Only thing that's true in this game is ship models

If torps are slower, DDs will cry

I do agree, really. And overall I feel DDs have a hard time.

I just think the current balance IS a bit cruel for the BB players.

I don't want the game more realistic, but I feel the BB and DD players are having a hard time.

There are so few BB and DD in the top scoring players.

And when I want money, I play my lowly Langley and make lots of money.

It's really really slow to grind the USN BB line with no dubloons.

I don't like the USN but I will play it to learn the game and await the Kreigsmarine.

And then I will give Wargaming a whole lot of real money and avoid the grind.

I like the game.

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

I do agree, really. And overall I feel DDs have a hard time.

I just think the current balance IS a bit cruel for the BB players.

I don't want the game more realistic, but I feel the BB and DD players are having a hard time.

There are so few BB and DD in the top scoring players.

And when I want money, I play my lowly Langley and make lots of money.

It's really really slow to grind the USN BB line with no dubloons.

I don't like the USN but I will play it to learn the game and await the Kreigsmarine.

And then I will give Wargaming a whole lot of real money and avoid the grind.

I like the game.

yeah USN BB in particular are a bit harsh, from tier 3 to 7 they need hard grin just to get decent rudder shift time, specially colorado with its 29 sec rudder-shift for stock hull. i'm glad they will receive a bit buff like accuracy bellow 3km but that 21knt for tier 7 is just bad.

Sign in to follow this