You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Muds_Revenge

Why I WON'T be buying German premium ships.

37 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

I spent my first money on this game, and bought an Atago.

First, the myths: It fires 20 something torpedoes, it's brilliant. The torpedoes can almost be fired from straight ahead of the bow, it's brilliant.

Truth: NOPE. Ok, 16 torpedoes, 8 from port side, turn around, nice and slow, get into set position, fire 8 from starboard. (by the time you have turned around, your other 8 tubes are almost reloaded).

You fire 4 torps, then have to manouvre ship to aim 2nd set of 4 torps from the same side of your ship.

It has massive AA firepower. NOPE. not when you meet tier 7-10 carriers. I have played 4 games in Atago, and died by torp planes 3 times.

It spams HE. Well, KINDA. It has a load of guns that appear quite accurate, but at these high tier battles, I've noticed enemy cruisers turn as they watch your salvo coming, and can avoid your fire, while it's incoming.

The shots are more direct and don't lob. NOPE. A long range shot still hangs for a LONNNNNGGGGGG time in the air. The disadvantage to what these myth tellers are trying to explain, is, you can't seek refuge behind islands, and return fire, because the Atago's shots all hit the island your hiding behind.

So the guns although accurate, you have a difficult time, the range is quite limited, so plenty of stuff out there to out-range you.

The mm is terrible too, last battle my team:

1x t9cv, 1x t7cv, 2x t7 bb, 2x t6bb, 4x t8cruisers, 1x t7cruiser, 1xt6 dd.     Enemy team: 1xt9 cv, 1x t8cv, 3x t8 bb, 1x t7bb, 2x t8 cruiser, 3x t7 cruiser, 1x t8 dd.

So the enemy team gets mm superiority in CARRIERS, BATTLESHIPS, and a whopping 2 tiers higher dd. This is normal mm for the teams I get. Rather seriously disadvantaged.

I THINK I BOUGHT A JEEP.

I will update IF I play anymore battles. In one battle I sailed for 15 minutes, hit ONE ENEMY SHIP 2x with HE, then we won by capping. Not exactly my idea of exciting.

PS, DO NOT BUY A JEEP.

Alpha Tester
982 posts

Thanks for the post mate. You are making me feel not so bad about my purchase of an Atlanta. Nice to know the water isn't always greener on the other side of the port :sceptic:

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

Also keep in mind that the Tirpitz as the first german premium ship is equipped with torpedoes.

This translates into her also having a torpedo magazine.

Now think for a moment.

A torpedo magazine... on a battleship... the ship class that regularly gets shot at...

Of course at first this won't be an issue since people won't know where the magazine is, but once they figure it out...

Well... remember how the Löwe was a great tank and considered as good as the Tiger II if not better after being added to WoT?

Once the general population figured out that shooting the lfp is a better thing than auto-aiming it wasn't anymore... ;)

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

As an addendum to Retia's point: What do people like firing at battleships? HE. What does HE do? Damage modules.

Now what does repeated HE shelling of exposed torpedo tubes tend to do...?

:trollface:

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

As an addendum to Retia's point: What do people like firing at battleships? HE. What does HE do? Damage modules.

Plus in a BB duel both will (Hopefully) fire AP and if one of those penetrates the right spot... ...

I assume the outcome will look somewhat like this:

Super Tester
1,677 posts

:trollface:

but... BUT! they ain't Long Lances for more lulzy booms....

Alpha Tester
982 posts

I THINK I BOUGHT A JEEP.

I will update IF I play anymore battles. In one battle I sailed for 15 minutes, hit ONE ENEMY SHIP 2x with HE, then we won by capping. Not exactly my idea of exciting.

PS, DO NOT BUY A JEEP.

Which one is your Atago mate:

1389231141082.png

Beta Tester
60 posts
7,246 battles

Thanks for the post mate. You are making me feel not so bad about my purchase of an Atlanta. Nice to know the water isn't always greener on the other side of the port :sceptic:

completely off topic but isn't it bad for water to be green?

as for German Premiums, I'm not sure but weren't the paper stats for the tirpitz good, they looked interesting to me anyway

Alpha Tester
1,063 posts
509 battles

A destroyed torpedo tube without any magazine detonation :hiding:

Super Tester
808 posts
1,399 battles

Ah yes, exposed torpedo tubes. I cannot wait to get repeatedly detonated in my Tirpitz when I buy her later! Maybe it'll remind me of the good old days when I drove a Panther and got repeatedly detonated from side shots...

:hiding::trollface:

Beta Tester
773 posts
796 battles

Next time OP, check it out in game before you buy. Buying a IJN cruiser on the premise that it's AA is good, is like putting money on Paramatta expecting a win.

Just how are we supposed to do that?  I don't see a try before you buy option anywhere.

Albany is average as well but she can do quite well for herself.

Nice try but no deal.  The Albany is just sad.