Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
silenthunter19944

How useful am I when I use a U.S. Carrier ?

13 comments in this topic

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

I mainly play US CV and BB and I really enjoy playing BB. CV is a whole different story. To start it of I must to tell everyone that tier 5-7 U.S. CV are awful (don't be surprised War Gaming always have something against the U.S. In all of their games) tier 6 and 7 CV must be buffed no question asked . And now I want to ask the non CV players this and that is just how useful am I to the team when I kill enemy planes (torpedoes and dive bombers). I might be saving someone but to be honest I feel like I am as useless as the enemy IJN CV. Sure I might be saving some allies ars** but I never receive any thank you and in most cases they will get hit anyway because there is only so much my fighters can do. I am just not sure guys. Every time I take my CV out for a ride I feel useless even if I shoot down like 40 planes because the U.S. CV line are meant for defending allies but you are as useless as the enemy when you stop an attack

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

...extremely useful?

If you're looking for validation, this is it. Every plane shot down is one less torpedo that can be aimed at an allied ship, one less potential ammo explosion or flooding, one less chance that someone has to hit their damage control early and suffer later on. Carriers don't have infinite planes - when they run out, that's it. USN carriers, while they don't get much exp, are capable of completely locking down an opposing IJN carrier of the same tier (and outright just bullying a lower-tier carrier), and every fighter squadron that engages a torpedo or bomber squadron gives that strike squadron's target a better chance of coming out unscathed and capable of fighting on. Even without an opposing carrier, fighter squadrons still provide incredible map awareness and can completely neutralize enemy destroyers, helping teammates avoid deadly ambushes.

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

Try watching iChase on how he plays USN CV's - try practice manual aim dive bombers on slow BB's and they deal a fair amount of damage :)

Edit : I just got blown up and sunk by a single squadron of Dive bombers (most likely manual aim lel) from an Independance while in my Farragut :(

Edited by Blitzkreig95

[SGC]
Super Tester
1,459 posts
6,801 battles

As a IJN CV.

I see a US CV. He shreds my fighters. He shreds my bombers all in one fell swoop.

Then proceeds to camp his fighters over my CV and effectively shut me down.

Sure I can manage to sneak 1 or 2 TBs out or counter attack once his fighters need to re-arm. But effectively he has made my output drastically less.

1,230 posts
2,354 battles

...extremely useful?

If you're looking for validation, this is it. Every plane shot down is one less torpedo that can be aimed at an allied ship, one less potential ammo explosion or flooding, one less chance that someone has to hit their damage control early and suffer later on. Carriers don't have infinite planes - when they run out, that's it. USN carriers, while they don't get much exp, are capable of completely locking down an opposing IJN carrier of the same tier (and outright just bullying a lower-tier carrier), and every fighter squadron that engages a torpedo or bomber squadron gives that strike squadron's target a better chance of coming out unscathed and capable of fighting on. Even without an opposing carrier, fighter squadrons still provide incredible map awareness and can completely neutralize enemy destroyers, helping teammates avoid deadly ambushes.

Yessa, this.is the GREAT USE of USN CVS

Beta Tester
753 posts
657 battles

USN CV's are great. only thing is the first one is horrible. your constantly out numbered by the enemy. Really wished WG didn't screwed with USN CV's.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

USN CV, pick fighter loadout, see no other CV around, Facepalm the entire game

Except if RNGesus bless you in dive bombing

48 posts
2,944 battles

...extremely useful?

I don't agree with this : capable of completely locking down an opposing IJN carrier of the same tier

with two reasons.

1. Short of ammo

I've reached tier 8. I got much stronger fighters than before. I got +1 fighter squad than before. And at the same time, I still got short of ammo.

- If you place your fighters defensively (near your ally fleet), enemy fighters will engage with yours and attackers will do their job.

- So if you place your fighters aggressively (closer to enemy ships but not getting fired by AA), enemy will find a way to dodge your fighters or they will concentrate their fighters and get the way through.

In any case, even if you defended all the strikes perfectly, your fighters now need re-supply. At the same time, the enemy attackers already are on the way since many of them may have died and got insta-resupply. They will come much sooner than your fighters. 

So I always TRY TO LEAVE AT LEAST ONE PLANE IN A SQUAD that enemy cannot get insta re-supply while my fighters are returning. But , they die one way another (by my fighters or AA fires from ships or even by -stupid- friendly CV's fighters that I requested not to kill the last plane in a squad).

2. Enough load of planes in IJN CVs

Yes carriers don't have infinite planes. But it seems they have enough planes to bear with. I usually shoot down 50 or more planes in a full-played game but I see enemy IJN CV sends the planes until the game ends. Rather, the plane-poors are being shown at USN CVs. Idk why but I see enemy USN CV being short of planes more than IJN CVs.

So I disagree with the terms of the air superiority of USN CVs in any case.

ps. Am I missing something with the tactic or strategy? Does my strategy bad or broken? If I am, please somebody give me a way.

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

I don't agree with this : capable of completely locking down an opposing IJN carrier of the same tier

with two reasons.

1. Short of ammo

I've reached tier 8. I got much stronger fighters than before. I got +1 fighter squad than before. And at the same time, I still got short of ammo.

- If you place your fighters defensively (near your ally fleet), enemy fighters will engage with yours and attackers will do their job.

- So if you place your fighters aggressively (closer to enemy ships but not getting fired by AA), enemy will find a way to dodge your fighters or they will concentrate their fighters and get the way through.

In any case, even if you defended all the strikes perfectly, your fighters now need re-supply. At the same time, the enemy attackers already are on the way since many of them may have died and got insta-resupply. They will come much sooner than your fighters. 

So I always TRY TO LEAVE AT LEAST ONE PLANE IN A SQUAD that enemy cannot get insta re-supply while my fighters are returning. But , they die one way another (by my fighters or AA fires from ships or even by -stupid- friendly CV's fighters that I requested not to kill the last plane in a squad).

2. Enough load of planes in IJN CVs

Yes carriers don't have infinite planes. But it seems they have enough planes to bear with. I usually shoot down 50 or more planes in a full-played game but I see enemy IJN CV sends the planes until the game ends. Rather, the plane-poors are being shown at USN CVs. Idk why but I see enemy USN CV being short of planes more than IJN CVs.

So I disagree with the terms of the air superiority of USN CVs in any case.

ps. Am I missing something with the tactic or strategy? Does my strategy bad or broken? If I am, please somebody give me a way.

I'll let halken do the talking then

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

As a IJN CV.

I see a US CV. He shreds my fighters. He shreds my bombers all in one fell swoop.

Then proceeds to camp his fighters over my CV and effectively shut me down.

Sure I can manage to sneak 1 or 2 TBs out or counter attack once his fighters need to re-arm. But effectively he has made my output drastically less.

That true i use my US CV to ground enemy CV to prevent them to take off.

Sign in to follow this