You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ThunderLightning

Observations from an experienced IJN CV driver

24 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
1 post
1,374 battles

Hi I have over 500 battles, avg experience 1400+ (in CV 1700+ avg, in BB 1000 avg experience, CA and DD in between)

1) MM is fine. It is good to get 1vs0 and 2vs1 or even 1IJN vs 2USN CV's. It makes each game different in gameplay. If it's 1vs0, then I have to use fighters to spot DD, and attack with bombers. If it's 1vs1 or 2vs2, I play according to enemy CV type and loadouts. If I am against USN CV, I have to try to bait his planes, or try to help our DD get torp hits. If I am against 2 USN CV, it's cat and mouse, trying to get 1 or 2 torp hits here and there. If CVs were always balanced each game by number and country, each game would play the same for me

2) Manual drop is fine for IJN. Even with a perfect manual drop, you may only get 1 torp hit for a few thousand damage points. Considering it takes at least 3-4 minutes for each bomber run, that is very little damage output compared to a BB salvo, or CA salvo.

3) Plane scaling per tier is not so good. Same damage across all tiers means that Tier V 3TB squadrons kill severely kill a BB. High tier CV if I am attacking a high tier BB means I lose most planes to score maybe 5000 damage (less than 10% total health).

4) Border / corner hugging needs to be fixed.

5) There is a big difference in fighters between tier 6 and 7. Problem is if there is a tier 6 and a tier 7 CV in the same enemy team/same country, I can't tell if the fighters are from which tier.

6) Generally IJN CV can deal out massive damage tier 4-5. Tier 7 and above the plane survivability is so poor I would not recommend anyone grind past tier 7. Tier 7 is fun because your fighters can destroy lower tiers (massive disparity). The problem with lower tier CV is that AA is so poor for the whole fleet, game can end quickly if enemy CV gangs up on your. High tier this is not a problem if you sail close to an AA cruiser.

In summary - low tier CV - lots of damage output, but can die easily from enemy CV strike

High tier CV - planes fly around and die to AA, but at least your CV survives longer. Need to nerf low tier planes / CV and buff high tier planes / CV, if you want players to want to grind for the higher tiers.

Beta Tester
506 posts
1,386 battles

I think low tier carrier is problematic because a lot of new players don't know how to anticipate plane attacks and carrier can attack without impunity due to the non existent AA. 

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

I think low tier carrier is problematic because a lot of new players don't know how to anticipate plane attacks and carrier can attack without impunity due to the non existent AA. 

And even players who DO know what to do are screwed because every single aspect of that particular encounter is stacked against them.

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

Hi I have over 500 battles, avg experience 1400+ (in CV 1700+ avg, in BB 1000 avg experience, CA and DD in between)

1) MM is fine. It is good to get 1vs0 and 2vs1 or even 1IJN vs 2USN CV's. It makes each game different in gameplay. If it's 1vs0, then I have to use fighters to spot DD, and attack with bombers. If it's 1vs1 or 2vs2, I play according to enemy CV type and loadouts. If I am against USN CV, I have to try to bait his planes, or try to help our DD get torp hits. If I am against 2 USN CV, it's cat and mouse, trying to get 1 or 2 torp hits here and there. If CVs were always balanced each game by number and country, each game would play the same for me

2) Manual drop is fine for IJN. Even with a perfect manual drop, you may only get 1 torp hit for a few thousand damage points. Considering it takes at least 3-4 minutes for each bomber run, that is very little damage output compared to a BB salvo, or CA salvo.

3) Plane scaling per tier is not so good. Same damage across all tiers means that Tier V 3TB squadrons kill severely kill a BB. High tier CV if I am attacking a high tier BB means I lose most planes to score maybe 5000 damage (less than 10% total health).

4) Border / corner hugging needs to be fixed.

5) There is a big difference in fighters between tier 6 and 7. Problem is if there is a tier 6 and a tier 7 CV in the same enemy team/same country, I can't tell if the fighters are from which tier.

6) Generally IJN CV can deal out massive damage tier 4-5. Tier 7 and above the plane survivability is so poor I would not recommend anyone grind past tier 7. Tier 7 is fun because your fighters can destroy lower tiers (massive disparity). The problem with lower tier CV is that AA is so poor for the whole fleet, game can end quickly if enemy CV gangs up on your. High tier this is not a problem if you sail close to an AA cruiser.

In summary - low tier CV - lots of damage output, but can die easily from enemy CV strike

High tier CV - planes fly around and die to AA, but at least your CV survives longer. Need to nerf low tier planes / CV and buff high tier planes / CV, if you want players to want to grind for the higher tiers.

Frankly speaking US CV get high chance to solo to IJN CV not IJN if it a IJN CV Solo to US CV that mean the IJN CV tier is higher +1 or 2 by the US CV.

930 posts

But in return, Japanese attack plane squadrons increases as they advance. Also the wide spread of TBs makes it easier to manually aim drops although you may have a hard time landing more hits (at most, you can land three from a squad if you're lucky). At least the wide spread is nice against destroyers.

See above and below 

Higher tier means higher AA. So expect to lose a lot of planes.

And I remember back in CBT (and the time JP CVs were introduced) where every CV I meet would usually do a surgical strike against enemy carriers early in the game.

[BLUMR]
1,134 posts
1,377 battles

er tiers.

For IJN, if you have a keen eye, you can tell the difference between Tier VI (A5M2) and the Tier VII(A6M2) assuming of course both CVs have upgraded fighters. The tailplane of the A5M2 is distinctively red, they also looked like they be gifted wrapped with a blue ribbon. The A6M2 on the other has two distinctive light blue/cyan stripes at the rear of the fuselage and are mostly white in colour. 

For USN its much easier as the Tier VI has biplanes while Tier VII are single engine turboprops.  

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

And even players who DO know what to do are screwed because every single aspect of that particular encounter is stacked against them.

Yet, the only times I get hit by more than 1-2 torpedoes is when I'm either not observing my surroundings well enough or can't change my course

due to a DD/CL/CA torpedo salvo.

And most of the times those situations occur when I'm the last/one of the last survivor(s) in my team.

A couple days ago I had a battle on Ocean with my Miyogi.

A couple of other ships were around me that were higher tiers and thus more threatening targets.

However knowing the typical "Must kill low tier for easy kill" thought process of 08/15 SPGs in WoT I still started evasive maneuvers.

Of course the torpedo planes came for me, however their angle was terrible.

Now generally one of two things happen.

The 08/15 scrub CV will just let his bombers drop the torps regardless.

Anyone better than bad will set a new attack vector.

This one chose to change his attack vector, and he did it 3 times until he lost one plane to allied AA.

At this point he gave up on me and attacked the New York behind me.

Guess what... the New York sailed in a straight line, despite there being torpedo bombers closer than 7km and atleast

having been spotted for the past 4 minutes the New York still sailed straight.

Obviously he ate most of the torpedoes.

This is one example of dozens.

I can't remember a single time I was hit by more than 2 torpedoes outside the above mentioned situations where

it's either my fault or a last stand.

To put this into perspective, this is me being about as puzzled as I was when people kept demanding the Tiger (H) to be buffed in WoT.

Mostly because I was blowing up both T29s and IS tanks just as much as they shot me to pieces.

Hence I'm basically failing to understand where the problem lies. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

Hence I'm basically failing to understand where the problem lies. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

as an IT level 3 support engineer the answer is between the keyboard and chair.....

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

When I play Wyoming/Arkansas, if I only get hit twice I consider that a victory. And I'm NOT the sort who doesn't pay attention. In fact I lock my guns and ONLY focus on the planes.

So how is it I am so frequently wrecked by successive waves of them, and you seem to get off with barely a scratch?

Therein lies the problem with anecdotal evidence. I possibly am not hit all that often over the course of ALL the battles in those BBs, but that's probably as much due to being fortunate enough not to catch the booby prize of being picked as the target more than anything I do. As I said, against determined CV players those ships tend to be bordering on the helpless, especially if the CVs are experienced.

A new player really would be a victim, which is what we all see. And they cannot in any way harm the CV attacking them.

And THAT is the piece of terrible game design about which I have gone on many times. Because it's true, and entirely unnecessary. I and others have proposed ways to address it so the total results remain similar but the psychological feeling of being a fur seal is mitigated.

Given how many experienced players view it all as "L2P" it's not surprising if WG isn't listening, either. The one difference is WG didn't listen when it came to SPGs, either, and then introduced fairly eye watering changes in 0.8.6. Funny if that happens here, too.

Edited by Steeltrap

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

I prefered your original final comment Steel - I was about to reply to it!

As I said, against determined CV players those ships tend to be bordering on the helpless, especially if the CVs are experienced.

You'll get that regardless of class you are playing - even DD's are helpless against a determined experienced CV players - and IMO good luck to them - if they are that good then they have earnt the kill.

Most of the complaints I've seen on the forums, I've been able to correlate to what I've seen and experienced in game, and 80% of the time it's the BB/CA at fault not the mechanics.  I know I don't watch planes as much as I should and I wear the hurt for it when I'm in a BB - but I'll also say that most of my BB deaths are due to over-extending (or more often than not my team disappearing) not the mechanic of manual torpedo drops.

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

At tier 4 (most of team having no AA of consequence) at 21kt with a rudder shift measured in days I really don't see how anyone can say it's not the mechanic.

Unless you're arguing the mechanic includes having enough targets that the CV will be confused and not gank you.

Which is not relevant. Put my WHOLE TEAM around me and it still wouldn't matter against a decent CV player.

That's NOT anywhere near as true at higher tiers, especially once barrage can be used to screw up manual drop patterns plus massed AA really can make a dent in plane numbers.

Which somewhat highlights the point I'd have thought.

Edited by Steeltrap

1,230 posts
2,354 battles

I prefered your original final comment Steel - I was about to reply to it!

As I said, against determined CV players those ships tend to be bordering on the helpless, especially if the CVs are experienced.

You'll get that regardless of class you are playing - even DD's are helpless against a determined experienced CV players - and IMO good luck to them - if they are that good then they have earnt the kill.

Most of the complaints I've seen on the forums, I've been able to correlate to what I've seen and experienced in game, and 80% of the time it's the BB/CA at fault not the mechanics.  I know I don't watch planes as much as I should and I wear the hurt for it when I'm in a BB - but I'll also say that most of my BB deaths are due to over-extending (or more often than not my team disappearing) not the mechanic of manual torpedo drops.

Same here, who says that CVs are OP you must be more aware about the situation around yourself, not mentioning that CVs are OP

By the meaning of situation awareness, you need to know, to read the plane movement that they're adter you from about a 7km range, then you'll take less hits or even 0 hits.

Which that would give CV players a headaches 

So, the CV player must change targets or use tactics you you still wan't to attack the same ship, that's the way to save your planes and use them affectivly

Edit: I fixed my typo

Edited by Conkhead_12

1,230 posts
2,354 battles

At tier 4 (most of team having no AA of consequence) at 21kt with a rudder shift measured in days I really don't see how anyone can say it's not the mechanic.

Unless you're arguing the mechanic includes having enough targets that the CV will be confused and not gank you.

Which is not relevant. Put my WHOLE TEAM around me and it still wouldn't matter against a decent CV player.

That's NOT anywhere near as true at higher tiers, especially once barrage can be used to screw up manual drop patterns plus massed AA really can make a dent in plane numbers.

Which somewhat highlights the point I'd have thought.

I think that the no AA early tiers are foe training players to read plane movements, and the grind isn't that terribad

9 posts
2,521 battles

My biggest, and only real gripe so far is that Torpedo bombers in particular are able to get unrealistically close to almost any ship and a good player can drop their torps at a distance of probably less than 200m...

I have seen this several times and have had it happen to me. 
We need to allow the ship to engage the incoming plans at a greater distance and accuracy and set a minimum torpedo arming range at a more "sporting" and realistic 300m-500m

The flight modeling of the plans also needs to be tweaked so they behave a more like plains and not blow flies...

Edited by Grunthos

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

At all tiers my only true gripe with TB is the impossible drop over an island - this should rip the wings off them but somehow, "for balance", they continue on their merry way......

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

When I play Wyoming/Arkansas, if I only get hit twice I consider that a victory. And I'm NOT the sort who doesn't pay attention. In fact I lock my guns and ONLY focus on the planes.

How do you manage your evasive maneuvers?

For me the maneuver begins as soon as torpedo planes are spotted on the minimap which usually is farther than 10km.

Even if they aren't heading in my general direction I will start thinking about where to maneuver in case that they turn towards me

and thus select my new course accordingly, i.e. stuff like avoid being close to the map border or other obstacles, stay close but not too close to allies, etc.

If they change course and fly towards the group of ships I'm with I'll begin maneuvering into a position where the bombers will need to do trickier maneuvers to deal any

kind of significant damage.

This usually means turning the stern towards them, however with some ships (especially US BBs) I tend to angle the ship slightly and switch between 1/2 left/right rudder

since their rudder shift time is terrible.

Any halfway decent CV player will respond to this by changing the bomber's course to get them into a better attack position.

Above 6km it's easy to respond to this, however below that slower ships and those with terrible rudder shift time can get caught in the net rather easily.

This is the point where I solely concentrate on the evasive maneuvers.

According to the bombers' attack angle I will turn left/right, important here is that I also reduce speed while the rudder is still shifting

and put it back up to full speed as soon as the rudder is aligning.

I.e. if I'm turning left and want to switch to turning right I'll reduce the speed until the marker for rudder shifting hits the middle.

For ships with bad rudder shift time I usually start raising the speed again earlier.

One problem with US BBs is that the window of getting a perfect synchronisation between adjusting speed and switching the rudder's position is extremely small.

Reduce the speed for too long and you'll lack the speed to maneuver quickly enough, raise the speed too early and you'll lose valuable seconds until the ship

actually starts turning into the opposite direction.

However with enough experience hitting that window becomes rather easy and mistakes become a rarity.

A new player really would be a victim, which is what we all see.

That's a part of being a newbie that will never change.

More experienced players will always roflstomp on newbies... that's a given, that's why most games decourage new players from playing ranked/competitive modes

and sometimes even keep them away from having to face experienced players by locking that option away for the first few minutes/hours of gameplay.

And they cannot in any way harm the CV attacking them.

It's not much different with other ship classes either.

For example:

In a DD vs DD duel newbies tend to try to torpedo the opposition, if it's an experienced player the newbie will lose most of his health by the time

he has launched his torpedoes and returned to gun control.

In a BB vs BB duel newbies will fire away HE shells even at close range and then wonder why that experienced player just hit them for 10k damage twice in a row

while only losing 2k health.

Newbie vs experienced is always an uphill battle... an uphill battle with bayonettes vs machineguns... and it's a long way up.

Given how many experienced players view it all as "L2P" it's not surprising if WG isn't listening, either.

The one difference is WG didn't listen when it came to SPGs, either, and then introduced fairly eye watering changes in 0.8.6. Funny if that happens here, too.

I can't remember any eye watering changes in 0.8.6, I remember a re-balancing to how SPGs work that influenced only the 08/15 herpa derps that

kept being useless at the corner of the map.

As for CVs, changes will come, that's a given.

However as usually it's WG, changes will take some time because they collect data, then collect more data, then have a barbecue and then maybe collect some more data

and start internal testing.

At that point it's prolly only 5-6 months until an official public announcement.

Whether these will be good or bad changes... time will tell.

Sometimes WG hits the mark and sometimes they bounce off the UFP and teamkill a friendly.

9 posts
2,521 battles

At all tiers my only true gripe with TB is the impossible drop over an island - this should rip the wings off them but somehow, "for balance", they continue on their merry way......

I was between two islands and that happened to me with all the torps hitting the water probably less than 100m from my poor Warspite, all hit and I went to the bottom!

I think a little nerfing and rebalancing are required ...

Edited by Grunthos

Super Tester
2,314 posts
7,094 battles

Apologies for side tracking but this has got me thinking. Imperial CAG is undeniably HUGE compared to Freedom CAG. But when it comes to RN, their CAG is smaller. Even smaller than Freedom CAG. Any estimations how it would be balanced out against USN and IJN CV? For sure, with a high possibility, RN CV may have more HP or less prone to bombs than IJN and USN owning to their armoured flight deck. 

Beta Tester
35 posts
1,224 battles

Torpedo bombers are not as easy to dodge as some in this thread make them out to be.  Those instances where you only got hit by 1 or 2 torps in a BB are because the opposing CV was a noob.

Torp bombers can out turn anything, even CA's, especially so in high tier.  You just have to not be braindead and follow some obvious rules.  Most competent CV players i see in the wild have no problems.  Unfortunately, i also see alot of incompetent CV players.

1) Your planes attack vector should be opposite to the targets vector.  That is, you should always be flying towards the target from the front, not from behind, so that either direction he decides to lock in a turn (or not) you can much more quickly out turn him and drop a nice birthday present.  Always stay in front, it's ezpz.

2) You should be keeping aware of when people are using defensive fire on your planes.  If the angle becomes very large, pull the planes away asap and come back in 20 seconds or so when it's over. That said, you shouldn't be targeting the USN CA's even if they dont have defensive fire up because they really don't pose much of a threat to your team on the water, as much as a BB or IJN CA does.

3) If they are all stacking hardcore and you don't have the imba hangar capacity of a t10 to send endless wave upon wave, then target the IJN CA's on the outskirts, wait for their team to engage yours and break up, try to spot dd's, or follow your teammates planes around and present an even nicer birthday present for some poor chap.  Nothing says i love you like 4-6 torp squads.

4) If he is slowing down, you should be watching for this and adjust the drop accordingly.  No Ship can drastically slow down enough to avoid torps in about 300m.  The only reason this works is because CV players in the wild are bad.

As for the effectiveness of stacking together making CV's useless, thats ridiculous in the context of half the game modes having multiple capture points.

Edited by elodea

Beta Tester
317 posts
953 battles

The Title should be "Observations from an experienced Imperial Carrier CAPTAIN"

this would remind me to the title of this book: 28klhrr.jpg

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

Torp bombers can out turn anything, even CA's, especially so in high tier.  You just have to not be braindead and follow some obvious rules.  Most competent CV players i see in the wild have no problems.  Unfortunately, i also see alot of incompetent CV players.

On low tier and mid tier torpedo bombers can't out turn everything, and as usually I only comment on low/mid tiers since high tiers is a completely imbalanced mess.

And high tiers prolly won't be coming close to being balanced in the near future anyway.

1) Your planes attack vector should be opposite to the targets vector.  That is, you should always be flying towards the target from the front, not from behind, so that either direction he decides to lock in a turn (or not) you can much more quickly out turn him and drop a nice birthday present.  Always stay in front, it's ezpz.

It's not that easy to keep up with targets on lower tiers.

Targets that actually utilise evasive maneuvers will result in the CV having to recall his bombers and set up the attack run from the start.

Which will in turn cost quite a lot of valuable time and the window for hitting a good angle on the next approach is fairly small if the target

is experienced.

2) You should be keeping aware of when people are using defensive fire on your planes. 

Defensive fire is usually not a thing on low tiers, however certain targets should be avoided.

(I.e. ships with a Yuubari or Iwaki nearby, Miyogis have can shoot down 1-2 bombers if they maneuver correctly, and more...)

3) If they are all stacking hardcore and you don't have the imba hangar capacity of a t10 to send endless wave upon wave, then target the IJN CA's on the outskirts, wait for their team to engage yours and break up, try to spot dd's, or follow your teammates planes around and present an even nicer birthday present for some poor chap.  Nothing says i love you like 4-6 torp squads.

Which is again, a high tier thing that nobody should even care about.

4) If he is slowing down, you should be watching for this and adjust the drop accordingly.  No Ship can drastically slow down enough to avoid torps in about 300m.  The only reason this works is because CV players in the wild are bad.

That's why, just like I wrote, one slows down during switching the rudder position to minimise the time the ship still turns to the current direction.

Which works great on low/mid tiers.

Disclaimer:

I totally agree that CVs on high tier are incredibly imbalanced... ... just like any other ship beyond tier VI.

Welcome to open beta, going by what I've seen in WoT the higher tiers will be balanced at release +X months.

(X standing for an undefined variable that won't go above 1 year.)

This is usually the point where I call back to the WoT beta and point out that until the release SPGs had perfect accuracy.

I.e.:

German SPGs had to aim the circle slightly behind targets to achieve 100% hit rate (Not counting for targets moving)

US SPGs had to aim the circle slightly in front of targets to get the same results

and RU SPGs had to aim the circle directly on top of targets to do so.

Add to that the HE damage of old being spherical and looking for the smallest amount of armor inside that sphere to calculate damage.

And add to that tanks having 0 armor coded at their bottom.

And you get the true meaning of satellite cannons of doom.

Edited by Retia

Beta Tester
35 posts
1,224 battles

On low tier and mid tier torpedo bombers can't out turn everything, and as usually I only comment on low/mid tiers since high tiers is a completely imbalanced mess.

And high tiers prolly won't be coming close to being balanced in the near future anyway.

It's not that easy to keep up with targets on lower tiers.

Targets that actually utilise evasive maneuvers will result in the CV having to recall his bombers and set up the attack run from the start.

Which will in turn cost quite a lot of valuable time and the window for hitting a good angle on the next approach is fairly small if the target

is experienced.

Defensive fire is usually not a thing on low tiers, however certain targets should be avoided.

(I.e. ships with a Yuubari or Iwaki nearby, Miyogis have can shoot down 1-2 bombers if they maneuver correctly, and more...)

Which is again, a high tier thing that nobody should even care about.

That's why, just like I wrote, one slows down during switching the rudder position to minimise the time the ship still turns to the current direction.

Which works great on low/mid tiers.

Disclaimer:

I totally agree that CVs on high tier are incredibly imbalanced... ... just like any other ship beyond tier VI.

Welcome to open beta, going by what I've seen in WoT the higher tiers will be balanced at release +X months.

(X standing for an undefined variable that won't go above 1 year.)

This is usually the point where I call back to the WoT beta and point out that until the release SPGs had perfect accuracy.

I.e.:

German SPGs had to aim the circle slightly behind targets to achieve 100% hit rate (Not counting for targets moving)

US SPGs had to aim the circle slightly in front of targets to get the same results

and RU SPGs had to aim the circle directly on top of targets to do so.

Add to that the HE damage of old being spherical and looking for the smallest amount of armor inside that sphere to calculate damage.

And add to that tanks having 0 armor coded at their bottom.

And you get the true meaning of satellite cannons of doom.

I agree with most of your stuff, though i never played WoT so i just skimmed that.  And yea you have a valid point to say that low and mid tier matters just as much.

However i would say that because ships have no aa in low tier, you can afford to be overly patient and wait for the perfect angle and opportunity to torp someone.  Low tier BB's arn't exactly known for being very maneuverable either :p.  Wait for it to get to full turn, then simply switch 180 to the other facing.  Again pretty easy to do quickly if you are coming towards the ship, not chasing it - due to both lower potential turn angle required and higher relative speed.  This tactic has worked great for me in mid tiers too in ryu and hiryu.

Also, iirc torp damage stays constant throughout the tiers whereas ship hp does not.  One torp on a low tier surface ship does relatively more damage than one torp against for example a yamato :p.

Edited by elodea

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

However i would say that because ships have no aa in low tier, you can afford to be overly patient and wait for the perfect angle and opportunity to torp someone. 

Yeah, but then you lose out on a caketon of potential damage.

Effectively you'd want to strike a target with the first attempt, hence why back in Alpha/CBT I used to take "meh deals" where

I knew only few torpedoes would hit since as long as I can save enough time I can get more damage throughout a battle rather than one massive alpha strike.

Plus the AA on certain ships at low tier shouldn't be underestimated, Iwaki Alpha and Yuubari aside, the Miyogi's and Wyoming's AA isn't non-existant either.

A japanese bomber squad staying inside the range of the large calibre guns will eventually lose a plane or two resulting in more potential damage wasted.

Low tier BB's arn't exactly known for being very maneuverable either :p.  Wait for it to get to full turn, then simply switch 180 to the other facing.

They actually are fairly maneuverable and the long rudder shift time can be negated by keeping the marker between 1 and ½ (For JP BBs) or at ½ (For US BBs).

Using the A&D keys to maneuver manually is always more favourable than relying on the "gear" selection.

It's easier to respond to situations by fine tuning the rudder position. (Which is also very helpful for dodging incoming shells.)

Again pretty easy to do quickly if you are coming towards the ship, not chasing it - due to both lower potential turn angle required and higher relative speed. 

That's the reason why I immediately switch course as soon as bombers are spotted.

They usually get spotted outside of my viewrange by other ships or aircrafts and that gives me more than enough time to prepare,

which includes making sure they won't have an easy time getting in front of my ship.

This tactic has worked great for me in mid tiers too in ryu and hiryu.

I count tier VII towards the high tiers, in WoT I consider it to be at the top of the mid tier, but in WoWS it's just as imbalanced as the tiers above it.

Heck, I could argue that tier VI isn't properly balanced either, but I find it to be balanced enough to be playable.

Also, iirc torp damage stays constant throughout the tiers whereas ship hp does not.  One torp on a low tier surface ship does relatively more damage than one torp against for example a yamato :p.

Same for dive bombers, it didn't used to be like this, but along with making aerial superiority loadouts utterly useless even against 08/15 CV players WG decided that things

make sense when looking at them through the bottom of an empty bottle. (A bottle of soda of course)

Like I wrote before, sometimes WG hits the mark and sometimes they bounce of the upper front plate and teamkill a friendly.

One of WoT's examples of this was when WG tried to make HE shells useful again.

Previously HE shells were effecient to deal atleast some damage to targets that couldn't be penetrated in other ways.

(The thing about them having a spherical hit box that would search for a target's weakest armor)

That was changed some time after the game's final release and after the tier spread in WoT was changed from +-3 to +-2.

WG realised a year or two later that HE shells had become utterly pointless.

Aside from sometimes destroying more parts of an obstacle than AP shells they didn't do much. (Houses in WoT have several parts that can be destroyed)

Thus they decided to buff crew and module damage on HE shells to ridiculous levels.

The result was huge.

Any HE shell, even those missing the target and only dealing splash damage usually destroyed/damaged a module or hurt/took out a crewman.

This was made even worse by the fact that players only have 3 consumable slots in WoT.

So even if one is using Large First Aid Kit (Heals all crewman) + Small Repair Box (Repairs 1 module) + Large Repair Box (Repairs all modules)

the chances are that it won't be enough at all.

Plus consumables in WoT are 1-time use only.

Furthermore tanks can be taken out if the whole crew dies.

This is something I had seen twice up until that patch. (Having played for more than 2 years already)

During the period that patch was active I saw it more than ten times. (I didn't play much because I went "Cake this, I'll be back once this is fixed")

The last CV patch that made a lot of things worse is another one of those failed choices in my opinion.

Oh well, 0.4.1 is bringing some changes that should fix a couple of issues related to CVs... not even close to all of them, but it's not like we lack time...