You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Tom_Cruiser

Dead ships planes

9 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
18 posts
2,520 battles

When you kill a carrier, a cruiser, or a battleship that has a plane or squadron airborne they (the aircraft) should go right ahead and leave the map. I'd be happy with them just disappearing, but if they have to fly off into nothingness then fine.

There are already enough problems with trying to stay undetected as a DD when there are carriers with 4-5+ squadrons of planes flying around, let alone having to avoid patches of the map where someone died because there is now an aircraft (or 10) flying around in a circle. 

Also the catapult fighter and spotter aircraft need to have ranges below their icons...

Beta Tester
18 posts
2,520 battles

When a Carrier is dead, they can't control their planes anyway. 

If you want to stay unspotted, move away from the Carrier's dead zone.

What did you mean "range" of catapult fighter?

Often easier said than done. When you're being spotted by the aircraft of someone who died 3 minutes ago, then coming under fire because of it then it's just an unnecessary additional problem for DDs.

The icon for spotter and catapult fighters on your HUD doesn't have their range on it, so for example in my Minekaze I know my plane spotting distance is 3.1km, good luck guessing how far they are away (especially as they don't appear on the minimap).

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,155 battles

When a Carrier is dead, they can't control their planes anyway. 

If you want to stay unspotted, move away from the Carrier's dead zone.

What did you mean "range" of catapult fighter?

Then i would have to say that you haven't ever in a position when you are surrounded by the enemy ships, who is trying to save their carrier. And the only way to get outta there is to stay hidden but aircraft from the dead CV keep circling on top of your head. It is very frustrating.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Then i would have to say that you haven't ever in a position when you are surrounded by the enemy ships, who is trying to save their carrier. And the only way to get outta there is to stay hidden but aircraft from the dead CV keep circling on top of your head. It is very frustrating.

Then that's the risk you took when you assaulted the other team's CV. You should have planned an exit strategy (which may involve smoke, speed boosts, turning off your AA and fleeing), unless it was a suicide charge to take out a HVT.  

As for OP - aircraft belonging to a dead ship will circle in a standard pattern over where their parent ship was killed. You could call in allied assets to shoot them down, or simply remember your detectability range from the air (which is a lot lower than surface detectability), and then adjust your course accordingly. Having an exit strategy is part of DD gameplay when going in for torpedo runs. 

When a carrier dies, its planes will carry out its last given order (by default, they will circle around the CV's wreck). However, IIRC the planes will eventually disappear (if they are not shot down by opportunistic players looking for plane kills).

Beta Tester
18 posts
2,520 battles

As for OP - aircraft belonging to a dead ship will circle in a standard pattern over where their parent ship was killed. You could call in allied assets to shoot them down, or simply remember your detectability range from the air (which is a lot lower than surface detectability), and then adjust your course accordingly. Having an exit strategy is part of DD gameplay when going in for torpedo runs.

As much as I enjoy getting l2p advice from someone with 760 average experience in destroyers, and as valid as your points may be, surely this is ultimately a forum to discuss the validity of certain game mechanics as either good, bad, enjoyable, fun, irritating, adding to the game, etc, rather than talk about tactics to overcome that mechanic.

As an example, I, in my Minekaze, lure a somewhat isolated Furutaka around an island and nuke him with Torps, hurray it's happy times. Now though, his scout plane is just circling around and spotting me, I was only 1km or so away from him when he died yet I'm now taking fire from a couple of cruisers 10km away because of this. Sure I can smoke, or lol, call in allied air assets, but the question is should I have to do this? A player who is dead has a consumable that is still impacting my gameplay, and can continue to do so for some time. 

In my opinion that aircraft should now be out of the game, beyond the issues that I can't see it on the map nor determine accurately how far away it is on my HUD it's very existence is a problem. A rough like to like example would be the AA barrage ability still working on a wreck for 20 or 30 seconds after that players ship died, no I don't think that's good for the game.

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

Planes survive 3 minutes (fuel load) before disappearing, carrying out the last given order.

As you have been informed, the only way to remove them is to shoot them down.

edit - the lack of OTM on catapault planes has been raised as a bug.

Edited by dead_man_walking

423 posts
3,175 battles

Why don't we let them all crashing down onto sea like apple to Newton's head...

And could fighters taken out ships AA in real life? We could program all the dead CV planes strafe run the nearest ships from their motherbase in a die-trying assault. Should be awesome to watch, lol.