You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Davidious

Missions - Why Torpedos ?

20 comments in this topic

75 posts
3,402 battles

Two of the three missions are about torpedo hits. Why is this ?

Many bloggers comment that they are tired of torpedos because they are so OP.

I may sink a ship after 30 direct hits from a ships cannon before it sinks, yet it only takes a few cowardly torpedos to sink me - This is way out of balance compared to the effort to reload, aim and fire a ships gun. And yet -your missions reward attack torp boats....

Where is the mission reward for multiple citadel hits or penetrations ????- these require more skill!!!.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Shells take several seconds to travel to a target and can usually only be evaded while at extreme ranges - up close, the flight time is too low for meaningful evasive action after the batteries are fired. Torpedoes? Torpedoes take much, much longer to hit their targets, and have an audible and visible notification when they hit a certain distance away from their target. Not to mention the spread.

Incidentally, the last statistics update revealed that destroyers, who rely on torpedoes as their primary armament, have a pretty low average damage per match in comparison to battleships and cruisers, who primarily fight with main batteries/shells. Not to that back in CBT, torpedo accuracy was abysmal compared to main gun accuracy (statistically speaking, most players would land around 20-30% of their main gun shots, compared to something like 10% of torpedoes fired).

So no, the effort of firing torpedoes and landing hits with them is MUCH, MUCH higher than aiming and firing main guns - and the damage values are adjusted accordingly.

Beta Tester
120 posts
4,246 battles

AS a DD player, I don't agree that Torpedoes are a cowards weapon, try having a successful strike in any American DD lower than tier 8 and you'll find that most of the time you 'll miss. Japanese DD's have a somewhat easier time with their longer ranged torps but they are still fairly easy to dodge unless your not paying attention or the DD has surprised you with a close range launch..  even then most cruisers and most BB's can turn fast enough to avoid most of your shots.. My Torp hit ratio is 6% whilst my guns is 35% and I am a decidedly average player.. 

Super Tester
802 posts

I may sink a ship after 30 direct hits from a ships cannon before it sinks, yet it only takes a few cowardly torpedos to sink me - This is way out of balance compared to the effort to reload, aim and fire a ships gun. And yet -your missions reward attack torp boats....

Where is the mission reward for multiple citadel hits or penetrations ????- these require more skill!!!.

Strange, I wouldn't consider CVs or IJN cruisers to be "just torpedo boats"

Also, thanks for the new bingo card slot idea. I'll be sure to add this one to the list for next week's card.

Super Tester
532 posts
1,052 battles

OP if they hit you. IF they HIT you.

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,163 battles

Do you even watch the Mighty Jingles?... If don't then... STOP SAILING IN STRAIGHT LINE, [Redacted]!!!
I'm so pissed with [Redacted] who keep sailing in straight line, get sunk by me then spend time cursing "You coward!... Damn those DD [Redacted]!... Torpedoes are OP!" 
http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/24345-stop-sailing-in-straight-line/

Torpedoes are not OP, what is OP here is your [Redacted] way of thinking. I've played against so many players who are good enough not to get hit by torps and some are [Redacted] enough to sail straight into my torps and take them all. Sunk... Then start cursing.

Profanity. Content removed, user warned.

~Syanda

Edited by Syanda

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

IJN torpedoes are for cowards *cough cough Minekaze* (Noobnekaze) US DD captains are the only good torpedo user here. All the IJN captain have to do is to spam torpedo every 40 seconds. This is why I give IJN DD captains no respect at all. In fact I never give any IJN DD captains any respect when they are driving a ship below tier 8. Their DD are just overpowered spam bots.

WG Staff
606 posts
447 battles

There comes a time in a BB Captain's career when he knows he's going to lose the ship to torpedoes before they are even launched just by the position of enemy ships or planes.

Sometimes, all we can do is fire the guns as fast as you can and go down fighting. Go down with the ship, but go down fighting.

125 posts
913 battles

heh once you learn to use them and learn how to avoid them ( most of the time) then youll love to torp fire. i too used to not like torp users but end up picking up dd fron the ijn. rest was history :)

either deal with it or pick one up and learn how to play it. want those missions cleared then do something about it

Beta Tester
63 posts
15,448 battles

heh once you learn to use them and learn how to avoid them ( most of the time) then youll love to torp fire. i too used to not like torp users but end up picking up dd fron the ijn. rest was history :)

either deal with it or pick one up and learn how to play it. want those missions cleared then do something about it

+1 Well said.

Beta Tester
28 posts
2,399 battles

I clear the torpedo missions with one Farrgaut class destroyer. There was a player who I had sunk calling it a Maggoty class destroyer. (I'd say the real thing, but I just don't want to get forum banned so early in my Warships career)

Serves him right for getting really close for a torpedo strike.

The tears of IJN and anime fanboiz will make the oceans even saltier.  

Is it not the Dead Sea?