You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Conan

Notice on the Abbreviation of Japan/Japanese

10 comments in this topic

WG Staff
606 posts
447 battles

Hi Players,

Please be informed that shortening the words Japan or Japanese to their first three letters is not allowed in the forums. The said contraction of the words are considered derogatory and will not be tolerated.

However, the usage of IJN or JP as abbreviations is acceptable.

Please follow the rules accordingly. 

67 posts
2,760 battles

most of the new and old players do not understand when to call the Japanese abbreviation of insults :fishpalm:

as three letters of a better future to censor words or impolite insults:hmm:

Edited by mamnu_matsada12

[AE]
202 posts
9,508 battles

Yes fell foul of this very early with a totally innocuous forum post about the different behaviour of IJN vs US torpedoes. Used the three letter word for Japanese like I and most Australians have used forever, and got a nasty surprise. Apparently my country's habit of shortening foreign nationalities into shorter versions ie. Brit for British etc, is racist! The three letter descriptor is actually not racist, just normal. Still, when in Rome...

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Yes fell foul of this very early with a totally innocuous forum post about the different behaviour of IJN vs US torpedoes. Used the three letter word for Japanese like I and most Australians have used forever, and got a nasty surprise. Apparently my country's habit of shortening foreign nationalities into shorter versions ie. Brit for British etc, is racist! The three letter descriptor is actually not racist, just normal. Still, when in Rome...

and it is sometime also wrong

For example Indonesia share the same 3 front letters with India

therefore we should use INA (for Indonesia) instead of IND (for India)

590 posts
2,995 battles

As an Australian, the three letter term your referring to has been considered offensive for quite some time - So yes, whilst we do shorten some nations names, others we don't and some we stay clear of like the three letter word you mention :) 

So it's not 'when in rome' it's more of a welcome to the 21st century global world of the internet. 

679 posts
3,522 battles

and it is sometime also wrong

For example Indonesia share the same 3 front letters with India

therefore we should use INA (for Indonesia) instead of IND (for India)

Ha, never thought of that, good pickup!

96 posts
3,809 battles

Do the Japanese consider it to be derogatory ? as an Aussie i dont find Convicts or Diggers even Boguns lol,  British {Poms} ect American{Yanks} ect... to be racist as long as it is used in the right context.. So i do wonder what the Asian Gamers think of this?????, And it is easy to do it when ya not thinking, just typing in a comment or a question and meaning no offence to anyone..Cheers all... I fell fowl of this once

Edited by wookielord

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

Topic is not up for discussion.  Whether you agree with it or not, the decision has been made by WG for THEIR forums.

~dead_man_walking