You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
jpkiwi

Submarines may be coming

67 comments in this topic

26 posts
794 battles

Taken from Ritas http://ritastatusreport.blogspot.nl/ ...which she got from gamescon15   - earlier WG said that there will be no submarines in WoWs but now they are thinking about it

- it's possible the WoWs cruiser  class will be split into "light" and "heavy" cruisers

195 posts
356 battles

If they're implemented, would most ships be able drop mines in the water? And would torpedoes be able to depress into the water, and hit them (for balancing issues)?

26 posts
794 battles

who knows ... be a hell of a lot of fun trying to sink subs..but still trying to fight other ships as well..however if they think

they can make money from it ..there will be subs ;-)

Super Tester
2,314 posts
7,094 battles

If they're implemented, would most ships be able drop mines in the water? And would torpedoes be able to depress into the water, and hit them (for balancing issues)?

From what I know, the ONLY way to destroy submarines using surface ships was only using depth charges, Squids, Hedgehogs, bombs and gunning them down if they're surfaced. You don't torpedo a submarine unless it's at the surface. I don't think ship borne torpedoes of that time were meant for submarine hunting.

But really to include subs in the game... It'll make the whole lot unbalanced to the max

Alpha Tester
512 posts
308 battles

Subs are good for the game if AI controlled due to how iconic they are, and the variety they could bring (like as objectives), however, even if incredibly unhistorical they have no place as a player-controlled class owing to how impossibly hard they would be too balance.

Beta Tester
682 posts
4,757 battles

Prepare your depth charge :izmena:

... but before that I would like that they fix most of problem and balancing of the current game first 

or it will be like current WoT now that they rushing too many project to come out and got problem after problem and have patch come out to fix the problem and get anther problem and so on

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

Utterly stupid idea.

Decide what you're trying to approximate. Is it fleet combat? Gun combat? Anything that floats/sinks combat?

CVs barely fit within a mainly gun/torp combat game and have balance issues. The ranges involved make them silly within the context of combat of that (or any other CV) era.

Subs simply don't belong, period. Good luck balancing them. And consider on this server where BBs don't want to be shot at all; if it weren't for the CV cap you'd see 5+ per battle, just as you could get as many as 13 SPGs in WoT (don't laugh, I've seen it). Now imagine how many with that approach will play subs.

Unless it's simply WG trying to cater to as many LCD gamers as they can with game play quality taking a back seat (if not left out entirely).

Edited by Steeltrap

Super Tester
1,177 posts
4,099 battles

From what I know, the ONLY way to destroy submarines using surface ships was only using ... Squids...

Now I'm picturing in my head a bunch of muscular, burly sailors throwing squids and other cephalopods at an enemy submarine.

IMG_4072.JPG

Not to be confused with

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squid_%28weapon%29

Edited by benlisquare

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

From what I know, the ONLY way to destroy submarines using surface ships was only using depth charges, Squids, Hedgehogs, bombs and gunning them down if they're surfaced. You don't torpedo a submarine unless it's at the surface. I don't think ship borne torpedoes of that time were meant for submarine hunting.

But really to include subs in the game... It'll make the whole lot unbalanced to the max

Three reasons Axis subs failed ultimately:

- RADAR, surface and on aircraft.

- ASDIC/Sonar with the later versions giving both bearing AND DEPTH (the latter being crucial).

- anti-sub weapons tied into the ASDIC/sonar. Got to the point where they were almost automated, being launched (with correct depth in case of DCs) through the detection mechanism.

CVs in reality would render subs useless. But wtf am I doing mentioning 'reality', lol.

Incidentally, it's true most torps had nothing to do with ASW. The notable exception was the FIDO, an air-dropped acoustic homing torp.

Edited by Steeltrap

Super Tester
1,177 posts
4,099 battles

CVs in reality would render subs useless. But wtf am I doing mentioning 'reality', lol.

Yeah, you shouldn't be expecting realism from any of these games. After all, WG's games are supposed to be arcade games aimed at wider audiences, not sims for enthusiasts.

Remember what SerB used to say? "Want realism? Join the (Navy)." :^)

Beta Tester
60 posts
7,246 battles

honestly i don't think that subs will be to good in WOWS due to their slow under water speed and their weakness to air born attack, they still move pretty slow one the surface as well and their limited torpedo forward arcs would be challenging to use, their weak guns would be pretty useless as well as they have neither the number or strength to heavily alter game play. when i first started playing i thought that they would be cool but i think they would be useless in game based on what I've seen in the current game play methods. if there was a Sub tree added the only sub I'd want to see would be the I 400, but even that would be useless as it had only 3 planes.

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

It is my understanding that if they add subs they will be AI controlled, basically doom cannons that pop up randomly and throw some RNG at a ship.

I really hope it never happens, all subs will do is cause frustration and justified whining. 

Beta Tester
404 posts
1,148 battles

SS would be difficult to balance but it might not be bad

the DD in CBT has behaved similar to SS

hiding in smoke, launching torpedo and tear the BB

SS will just do the same thing by hiding under water

the only problem I see is how to retreat

423 posts
3,175 battles

Subs target Blu line huggers only :trollface:

touché, mon ami, touché!!!

Maybe the Wargamming should have a game mode called "Blue Huggah", where any blue huggah within the edge of the map would have a SS moppin up and 3 seconds later a 20-ish salvo of torp steaming towards them. Every team have to kill the SS within 20 seconds to being able to blue huggen again...

And in normal map the SS is outside the blue line and shooting any ships that dare ventured too long (30-40ish seconds along the blue line with deadly accuracy). Imagine in a Domination game with -90 point for Blue Huggah team and his name was destroyed by :Marko Ramius: and :Viktor Tupolev: respectively. The number of Blue huggah should be dwindled like candle vs hurricane...

Edited by jchen8792

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

The only information that we got from this is that they're still talking about the possibility of submarines in WoWS.

Which I translate into they're still brainstorming about it... which they've been doing for months now... so... yay for unimportant news that

told me nothing new aside from "All quiet on the western front."