You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Monolith_Preacher

Colorado - what's bad aside the range?

34 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,818 battles

Those AA guns look like the IJN 25mm. Allies only used 2 or 4 barrel mounts for 20mm or 40mm from what I can find.

For all we know they're 8" guns (they look larger, but it's hard to know given an 8" gun isn't exactly small from up close), or simply a made up scene with no particular ship in mind.

I hope it is not the latter, an easter egg like that before it is released would be cool. 

Beta Tester
2,410 posts
7,238 battles

Steeltrap this ship is the one you are talking about isnt it, Or is this ship something else? I am 90% sure its an American ship and its a bb. 

been waiting for them to add it to the game. 

WGLdhsS.jpg

i though that ship was the nagato.

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,492 battles

i though that ship was the nagato.

It IS the Nagato, just that the model used in this picture is slightly different from what we have in-game. (those extra AA gun mounts)

At the background I think it's the Kagero with the last hull modification.

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,818 battles

It IS the Nagato, just that the model used in this picture is slightly different from what we have in-game. (those extra AA gun mounts)

At the background I think it's the Kagero with the last hull modification.

Maybe we will be seeing Kagero as a premium in the future then? 

Izumo was shown on the loading screens before it became the tier 9 ship 

420 posts
20 battles

To answer the OP question, these are that help to make this ship a bit useful.

1. Upgrades

- Main gun modification 1. When your turret blasted with 16 inch gun from another BB which is common at tier 7 and up, you don't want it to be completely broken.

- Main gun modification ? That add more transverse speed in cost of Rate of Fire. Colorado has horrible turret training time, 60s for 180 degrees. So even a slight tick on your steer could veer off your gun reticle since it wont turn as fast as your ship. Colorado is one of the best BB at the term of turning, it has small circle. While the rate of fire cost is not too much. Think of this, you can't fire your gun if you know it is not on the bullseye mark even when your shell is ready, waiting the transverse will cost you more time. I want to point that 1.7 shells per minute minus 10% is not a big deal either.

2. Captain skill

- The skill that improve transverse speed is welcome, if you use the skill and the upgrade earlier, roughly now the turret would transverse about 35s for 180 degrees.

- Superintendent. This would add 1 repair consumable, helpful for the lack HP it has.

3. How do I play with this

- 3 points that Colorado have a slight advantage over higher tier BBs is the citadel armor, and turning speed. Also it does mount heavier shell that it should be on high tiered BBs if you compete with less tiered BBs.

- Colorado has horrible accuracy and lobbing its shell. So, you need to close your range, it is when your armor superiority and bad accuracy could be compensated. To do this, you need to island hugging, but beware of choke points. Being a good turning rate doesn't mean it is better at dodging torpedoes at very close quarter. While might not defeating it, you could use this and ambush a higher tiered BB such as Iowa, you might deal a reasonable damage that will net to your exp before you sunk. Also, some BB like Iowa or North Carolina has less gun than you at their back.

- Colorado also smaller than high tier BB, such as North Carolina, Iowa, Izumo.... It almost half size of Izumo. So it is good at hiding behind smaller rocks.

- Colorado hull is more bulbous rather a super slated hull like Iowa that gives a lot of angling advantage, it is said for the front part (bow) of both ships, but not the end part. Engaging enemy at your front has the same value as your back. But while enganging enemy at your back, you can sail towards the nearest friend. Atago can sail 36 knots, you have 21 knots. Atago's mind is i can kill this ship, that i have speed advantage, and i know that it is a bad ship, an easy prey isn't it ? Go on,  still i never had an occasion that Atago can tail chase and kill a BB, not Colorado within 3-5 minutes. At least not with shell fire. This is a battle of endurance to lure it to your friends. It is where the extra repair consummable comes in handy. The damage you took probably from HE or fires that easily repaired. If the Atago exposes its broadside, it is not hard to kill it even with Colorado. Firing torpedo from tail chase position also an utter fail, you can easily dodge it. Being tail chased, try to aim your chaser main gun area, it would give a good penetration or even better, blowing up the main weapon. Didn't i say that Colorado lobbing shells ? I had an occasion that i blowed up all of front main turrets of a New Mexico. It was hillarious, since he forced himself to use her rear guns while exposed broadside.

- 1/10 win rate is usual while driving Colorado. I nicknamed it Kolor, Javanese word for undergarment and elastic tape, cloth or rope. Don't be passive, exp is delivered from the exp you deal each battle. No matter how you might suck after this, just do some damage.

- You might need another ship for silver farming, negative income is usual when using Colorado.

- Hull C only improves AA, if you deem it is not necessary, you can skip it saving the money for buying North Carolina.

Edited by Zwelivelle

808 posts
1,400 battles

Steeltrap this ship is the one you are talking about isnt it, Or is this ship something else? I am 90% sure its an American ship and its a bb. 

been waiting for them to add it to the game. 

WGLdhsS.jpg

Its the Nagato

Nagato has been the poster BB ship for WoWs since forever, its used in almost anything BB related

also those useless 25mm guns I can spot them from miles away

[LBAS]
Super Tester_
1,815 posts

Nope, it has 3 guns per turret.

That loading screen is a bit off. I think it is in fact 2 x 2 gun turrets but the angle makes it appear to be 4. The groups of 2 guns seem to be trained at slightly different angles, too.

The 4 gun turrets available in the war are KG5 class, Dunkerque and Richelieu. Don't think there are any others.

I suppose it could be a view of the KG5's forward 4 gun turret viewed from atop the 2 gun turret behind it.

Of course WG could have done the South Dakota as tier 8 and the North Carolina as tier 7, the SD being a slightly shorter and slightly better armoured NC in most respects and built slightly later. That would give about a 2kt speed difference between NC and Nagato instead of the ~5kt difference between Nagato and Colorado.

The 4 gun turret was also used on the King George V class English Battleships. The most famous of these being the Prince of Wales, that was sunk off Singapore by the Japanese.

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

The 4 gun turret was also used on the King George V class English Battleships. The most famous of these being the Prince of Wales, that was sunk off Singapore by the Japanese.

Umm, what do you think "KG5" stands for?

Here's a hint: King.......

I've only been reading naval military history for about 36 years, lol, so I put that list up from memory.

:P

[LEAK]
Beta Tester
2,718 posts
2,030 battles

Those AA guns look like the IJN 25mm. Allies only used 2 or 4 barrel mounts for 20mm or 40mm from what I can find.

There's also Single Barreled Bofors available I believe...

Anyway, on topic - I thought it's a Nagato as it's the only possible ship with the 25mm up top...