Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
OhNoesAFlyingKangaroo

Scuttled Japanese Submarine i-402 found

1 comment in this topic

Beta Tester
12 posts
19 battles

Not sure if it's been posted yet but apparently the remains of i-402 were found off the coast of the Goto island along with the shipwrecks of numerous other submarines.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2015/08/08/national/24-scuttled-imperial-japanese-navy-submarines-found-off-goto-islands/#.VcWibPmSx8F

"Twenty-four submarines that belonged to the former Imperial Japanese Navy have been found at the bottom of the sea near the Goto Islands in Nagasaki Prefecture, the Japan Coast Guard said Friday.

The submarines, including the I-402, the world’s largest submarine in World War II, were scuttled by U.S. forces after the end of the war.

The exact location where the submarines were scuttled has now been identified, the coast guard said.

The 122-meter-long I-402, which had a displacement of 6,600 tons, was built for attacking the U.S. mainland and the Panama Canal, carrying three bombers.

The submarine was completed in July 1945, just before Japan surrendered to the Allied forces the following month, and was scuttled in April 1946.

Two submarines of the same class, the I-400 and the I-401, were scuttled off Hawaii. Their locations were identified by a U.S. survey ship in 2005 and 2013.

According to the coast guard, the forms of the sunken submarines were confirmed by a survey vessel last month 35 kilometers southeast of Fukuejima, the largest of the Goto Islands."

- Japan times

Sign in to follow this