You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Potoroo

"Barrage" skill gone?

17 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
773 posts
796 battles

Just got Advanced Firing Training on my fully upgraded Cleveland but no AA burst button.  Is it just the Cleveland or has that skill gone for good?

Edited by Potoroo

Beta Tester
773 posts
796 battles

It's a consumable, not a skill.

Go to consumables, switch your Hydroacoustic Search for Defensive Fire.

Thank you!  Of course, it would be nice if WG bothered to tell us these things.

Beta Tester
773 posts
796 battles

From a purely pragmatic point of view, as more and more people over time acquire AFT, how many will even know to go back to the 0.4 patch notes?  IOW, WG should be making things clearer in the game, not outside it.

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

Had they not done it in the first place, most wouldn't even know that Hydroacoustic Search exists.

At least wanting to change it back to what you were comfortable with (Defensive Fire) allows you to learn a little bit more of the game's interface.

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

From a purely pragmatic point of view, as more and more people over time acquire AFT, how many will even know to go back to the 0.4 patch notes?  IOW, WG should be making things clearer in the game, not outside it.

AFT never granted Defensive Fire. Even before 0.4.0 you get it on tier VI and above cruisers FOC.

Beta Tester
773 posts
796 battles

AFT never granted Defensive Fire. Even before 0.4.0 you get it on tier VI and above cruisers FOC.

I admit, I have AFT on the brain.  Ever since the wipe, getting it back has been my new obsession - WoT has Sixth Sense, WoWS has AFT.

But I was right that "Barrage/Defensive Fire" used to be a skill:

r47Ntf0.jpg

Beta Tester
773 posts
796 battles

Even before 0.4.0 you don't need to get that specific captain skill to use "barrage" on high tier cruisers.

Wrong as usual. 

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

Read the skill.

"-30% to skill preparation time"

This means this skill is affecting something. What? The actual "Barrage" skills CA tier 6+ had.

So Defensive fire boost the power of Barrage on those cruisers with the "Barrage" skill.

[LLBC]
Super Tester
750 posts
3,314 battles

Barrage has always been an innate ability available on T6+ Cruisers (like smoke on DDs). The Defensive Fire skill worked in tandem with the ability to increase it's damage while it was active

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

Wrong as usual. 

Nope, he is correct. You didn't need that skill to have Barrage. That skill only improved it.

It used to be called Barrage Fire (according to patch notes, but not mentioned in-game), and the skill that improved it was called Defensive fire. Then 0.4.0 came along and the consumable was renamed to Defensive Fire and the commander skill was removed.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

In 0.3.0, all ships came with their skills by default - Smoke for destroyers, Repair Work for battleships, and Defensive Fire for cruisers (only available for cruisers with 2 DP batteries and up, which meant Aoba/Cleveland and above). What the skills in the tree did was to improve on them, not unlock the skills for them.