You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
EvyL

Germany to kick off?

195 comments in this topic

Super Tester
1,677 posts

Well this is lulzy to say the least. And right when Gamescom kicks off as well.

I still dig their OBT trailer and the usage of Gothic Storm's Fire Alarm for that matter.

a bit of a wonder though... what on earth is Michigan? lolarticle.

if this were true and its the whole nation instead of only the gold painted sheeps they PV'd, its likely those that wanted Germany to be in the game for too long will have a mild case of squeeing, the beginnings of the incessant national herpaderp (to be honest, I'm still amused by a certain someone I know that claims the Japanese ships are the most bestest in APAC without any solid proof, spewing out BS about how superior they are to any fleet in the world without any proof and that anything you say to disprove him will automatically rebut "history is written by the victor") and hopefully the beginning of strange and wonky fights that never happened.

I thought RU was the first to be slotted...

dream fight of a threeway slugfest between the Bismarck, Iowa and Yamato? enjoy blasting each other as the CV's treat you as another floating hull in the water. CV players might wub Graf Zeppelin and Scharnhorst may have unique gameplay that can be akin to a battleship style Mogami.

discuss the herpaderp.

that is all.

Edited by EvyL

Super Tester
1,177 posts
4,099 battles

psst... your /vg/ is leaking. You might wanna edit out a few words before the red crayon arrives.

Edited by benlisquare

Super Tester
1,677 posts

psst... your /vg/ is leaking. You might wanna edit out a few words before the red crayon arrives.

I think I edited myself now benli... probably.

Super Tester
1,177 posts
4,099 battles

WG go back on their word? No way. I wonder if they ran into issues trying to fill the Russian tech tree up? In the words of Serb himself, how terrible...

Now I wonder whether the Royal Navy will indeed come after the Soviets as promised by the devs, or if this is set to change as well?

Super Tester
1,677 posts

my guess is the reason why this is is because the European information raiders got a LOT of data in regards to the Kaiserliche Marine/Kriegsmarine, both archive raiding National Archives and have what you aside from the location of Gamescom being somewhere in Germany yet again... although I find it a bit hard to believe that the Russian info raiders did not get sufficient crap to make Mother Russia proud in-game.

Super Tester
1,177 posts
4,099 battles

my guess is the reason why this is is because the European information raiders got a LOT of data in regards to the Kaiserliche Marine/Kriegsmarine

Putting together a German tech tree is probably easier and requires less effort, since there were plenty of ship designs for the eras that span most of the ship tiers within the game. This means that the devs probably won't need to spend so much time looking through super sekrit documents, or worse, invent made-up ships. Regardless of whether they're historical ships or blueprints, the information is widely available and out there. It's a completely different story with the Soviet tree, on the other hand.

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

CV players might wub Graf Zeppelin and Scharnhorst may have unique gameplay that can be akin to a battleship style Mogami.

Yeah, let's hope they give manual control to the Graf Zeppelin's guns, after all those are her only real weapons...

Unless of course they give her the late war prototype aircraft BF109s/Stukas, which lacked payload, weaponry and maneuverability... ...

I guess they could also buff their stats since it's an arcade game... ...

Oh well, manual control for her sixteen 15cm guns and I'm good, launch the crappy planes as a distraction and sail forward with "Voller Kraft!" :B

Super Tester
1,677 posts

Putting together a German tech tree is probably easier and requires less effort, since there were plenty of ship designs for the eras that span most of the ship tiers within the game. This means that the devs probably won't need to spend so much time looking through super sekrit documents, or worse, invent made-up ships. Regardless of whether they're historical ships or blueprints, the information is widely available and out there. It's a completely different story with the Soviet tree, on the other hand.

the WoT RUdevs had to roll with made up tanks since I think their reason was none fitted at said tiers. for the moment though I thought the Design A-140-J2 "Izumo" was a made up ship and Amagi's reformat was also a made up thing to make her more potent in-game.

speaking of SOOPUH SEKRET STUFF, I thought Soviet Russia has craptons of that?

@Retia well you do know the RUdevs love their 'what if's' tho.

that aside, here's hoping for the Deutschland to be very interesting as well as for Scharnhorst, Admiral Scheer and whatever the hell the RUdevs decide to put top tiers.

Edited by EvyL

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

whatever the hell the RUdevs decide to put top tiers.

Many paper ships that never existed.

We'll see a couple interesting ships that actually existed, but for the most part Germany's navy has never been great,

be it in numbers or in quality.

Beta Tester
773 posts
796 battles

Now I wonder whether the Royal Navy will indeed come after the Soviets as promised by the devs, or if this is set to change as well?

Russia

Great naval tradition: no

WG: let's do it!

Germany

Britain

Great naval tradition: Ruled the oceans for 400+ years

WG: meh

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

Russia

Funnily enough Russia has a considerably great naval tradition compared to Germany.

Ever since the Russian Empire days the navy was a rather large part of Russia's military.

It only broke down after the Russo-Japanese war and never regained it's former strength due to

major events like the revolution and purges which hit the admirality hard.

Compared to that the Prussian/German navy was never much to talk about until ww2 and even then it wasn't as great as people

generally like to believe, assuming it's the same reason why people go "Omfg Tiger tank so 1337!"

Beta Tester
773 posts
796 battles

Funnily enough Russia has a considerably great naval tradition compared to Germany.

Ever since the Russian Empire days the navy was a rather large part of Russia's military.

It only broke down after the Russo-Japanese war and never regained it's former strength due to

major events like the revolution and purges which hit the admirality hard.

Compared to that the Prussian/German navy was never much to talk about until ww2 and even then it wasn't as great as people

generally like to believe, assuming it's the same reason why people go "Omfg Tiger tank so 1337!"

Russia might have a stronger naval tradition than Germany but that doesn't make it an historical naval power because it wasn't.  I understand WG's desire to push out the nearly non-existent Russian navy of this period but the fact remains they are, yet again, treating the British with contempt.  It's one thing to sell a premium called Bismark, it's another thing entirely to ignore the greatest naval power the world had ever seen (until the USN surpassed it after WWII). It's insulting and WG clearly do not give a rat's arse.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

As an aside - Russia was a historical naval power, only behind Great Britain and France up until the 19th Century. But that pretty much only covers up to tier II, maybe III, in World of Warships' time period. I still find it extremely odd that we've heard so little about the Royal Navy, for the exact same reasons Potoroo has outlined. 

Super Tester
1,677 posts

Russia might have a stronger naval tradition than Germany but that doesn't make it an historical naval power because it wasn't.  I understand WG's desire to push out the nearly non-existent Russian navy of this period but the fact remains they are, yet again, treating the British with contempt.  It's one thing to sell a premium called Bismark, it's another thing entirely to ignore the greatest naval power the world had ever seen (until the USN surpassed it after WWII). It's insulting and WG clearly do not give a rat's arse.

That or they put the Brits in the slate after the Russians or Germans assuming that Russia still doesnt want them to see SOOPUH SEKRET FIELZ. There's the Marine Nationale with some of the more interesting paper ships and Regia Marina to boot.

my guess is that the RN have a crapton of ships that's a bit too good if we assume Warspite's the tip of it and balancing the crap out of that might take time. their end ships are going to be paper as well and this is adding to the fact that the RN is likely going to encompass the ANZ guys as well since some of their ships were used by them.

so we have two bits that's troubling the RUdevs, eh? their own Russian tree and the UK tree. its likely the Russian Archives still has a couple of secrets buried deep and its not yet kinda clear for declassification and the UK problem is probably how to balance the things as well as cram them into the tree if they plan to branch just like in tonks. its likely problematic seeing as the torrent of reviews about how they messed around with Warspite and all.

Edited by EvyL

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

it's another thing entirely to ignore the greatest naval power the world had ever seen (until the USN surpassed it after WWII).

Pretty sure vikings pre-date the united kingdoms by a few years.

Also pretty sure that by their era's standarts they can be considered the greatest naval power the world had ever seen for a very... very long time.

Russia might have a stronger naval tradition than Germany but that doesn't make it an historical naval power because it wasn't.

Actually some time after Napoleon's demise Russia was one of the three largest naval powers in the world and remained to this position

for a long time. (I.e. until they got their cakes kicked by the japanese and a couple other problems like the government losing trust in the admirality and other political stuff)

I understand WG's desire to push out the nearly non-existent Russian navy of this period but the fact remains they are, yet again, treating the British with contempt.

Decently modernised destroyers and cruisers, old/sluggish dreadnoughts and plenty of state of the art submarines that never got to do anything

due to blockades and, again, the admirality either being dead (puuuuuurge) or too scared to act.

For example a soviet captain sailing out and not getting any good results had a good chance of meeting the bad end of a rifle after returning to port.

A soviet captain that never let his ship leave the port because "enemy blockade, so sad" was not likely to be shot, because he had a somewhat valid reason.

It's insulting and WG clearly do not give a rat's cake.

Was it also insulting when WoT added french tanks before adding british ones?

Beta Tester
773 posts
796 battles

As an aside - Russia was a historical naval power, only behind Great Britain and France up until the 19th Century. But that pretty much only covers up to tier II, maybe III, in World of Warships' time period. I still find it extremely odd that we've heard so little about the Royal Navy, for the exact same reasons Potoroo has outlined. 

To be a great naval power you have to be able to project that power and Russia couldn't (hint to the bemused, Google 'Russia', 'navy' and 'warm water port').  The one time they tried they sailed halfway around the world and got their arses kicked.

my guess is that the RN have a crapton of ships that's a bit too good if we assume Warspite's the tip of it and balancing the crap out of that might take time. their end ships are going to be paper as well and this is adding to the fact that the RN is likely going to encompass the ANZ guys as well since some of their ships were used by them.

I'm stretching my weary memory cells here but I remember a thread back in CBT (I think) suggesting an Australian ship being suitable as a premium and the response was that Australian ships weren't actually British and so were highly unlikely to be included.  Apparently the base requirement is that the ship be built in the country whose tech tree it is.  Of course, in WoWS's time period Britain was an empire and therefore a special case because the naval forces of countries like Australia, Canada, New Zealand and South Africa were on the Admiralty List but I sincerely doubt that inconvenient fact will trouble the RU devs in the slightest.

Edited by Potoroo

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

Regardless, this whole game is Pokemon to me... Gotta get'em all... Though I'm not sure if I want to get the Russian Navy.

Only missing Atlanta and Atago ATM (waiting for next pay day :) )

(edit - got paid ;) )

Edited by dead_man_walking

Super Tester
808 posts
1,399 battles

Commercial website so take it with a grain of salt, but its nevertheless an interesting turn of events.

The german navy being possibly one of the first to be released might be because over in the RU forums, even they do not care about the glorious soviet paper mache fleet, they want ships that were actually iconic.

In this case, demand for the germans has been strong so the devs have probably changed all development power to the Germans. Looks like even the russians do not care at all about their make believe fleet :trollface:

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if RU ends up being the last tech tree introduced, purely because of its largely paper and blueprint designed ships. None of which participated in any historical battles apart from some WW1 Husks at Tsushima.

What was initially a marketing decision has backfired in their face. Quite literally. So they have now moved to ships that actually did something in the war, and actually existed in some shape and form.

A decision I don't mind one bit.