You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

34 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
878 posts
151 battles

Here are some ideas to add more content to CV gameplay as well as add new mechanics:

1. Allow fighters to do strafing runs on ships

This idea has been mentioned before but i would like to add to it. Have you ever had fighters hanging around doing nothing? With this option i suggest that by holding alt you can select a strafing run in a straight line (Like the USN torp bomber indicator). For balance i propose that it does no damage to the HP pool of a ship but has a chance to damage and disable modules such as AA. Strafing runs would use alot of ammo up also. Also during a run the fighters might be more vulnerable to AA. The straight line means if a ship turns it will receive much less to no damage.

2. Make Dive-bombers multi-rolled

In real life dive bombers were generally fighters with bombs attached. I propose that dive bombers are able to attack enemy squads. This would fix the complaints of not enough fighters. For balance DBs would have less ammo, HP, and damaged compared to normal fighters. They would also not cause the locking and slowing affect of normal fighters.

3. Create a Buff/Debuff system

I would love fighter battles to be more than slinging yourself at the enemy squads and praying to the RNG gods that you win. Maybe create if you are under attack from enemy AA you receive less DPS. Another buff/debuff could be if your near a friendly carrier your fighters receive a buff of some kind (This would help prevent Carrier KO at the start of the game.) 

4. Create a fighter formation system

My idea for this would be to create options for fighters in different gameplay styles and roles. These formations would be toggled via a short cut key. Some ideas are; Arrow head formation (PROS: Increased DPS for a short time while engaging an enemy squadron, then divert to attack formation. CONS: Use more ammo during duration and receive a health debuff for the duration.), Attack formation: (PROS: 40% more damage and 20% speed buff CONS: receive 30% more damage from fighters and AA), Defence formation: (PROS: 40% more resistance from fighter and AA damage CONS: 30% less damage and 20% Slow debuff), Balance formation: (No PROS or CONS), Travel formation: (PROS 50% more speed CONS: receive 80% more damage from all sources). For balance formations can only be changed every 30 secs.

5. Create clouds for hiding and cover

I would love to have clouds act like bushes in wot. This could add a surprise element to air battles. Cloud could be slow moving requiring moving from place to place. Fighters in cloud could not only be cloaked but receive a buff of some sorts.

6. Add a fuel system for planes

Im sick of people being able to camp their planes so adding a fuel system would be cool. It would not only limit camping and time up of planes but require more skill in deciding wether to scramble your fighters or not. Maybe allow refuelling from ally carriers or captured airbases. (Read on)

7. Add capturable Airports and bases

Having the ability for CVs to capture Airports could work well with the fuel system noted above. Airports would have excellent AA providing cover for friendly ships and aircraft. It can act as a refuelling station for CVs. By only allowing CVs to capture Airports it can encourage CVs not to camp as capturing these places can give you an advantage of AA cover as well as increasing your range by refuelling your planes. In addition to this maybe for ships Forts could be added for AA and ship defence.

8. Lastly maybe add new plane types?

I am thinking it would be great if new aircraft could be added EG. Attack aircraft with rockets (HE damage like DB but not much HP damage), Heavy fighters (Slower and have more HP but cant be locked during dogfight like normal fighters), Refuelling planes (To refuel planes but have little to no defence).

Thanks for reading,

Thoughts and further suggestions would be appreciated. If you liked my suggestions feel free to give me a +1

505 posts
4,176 battles

Here are some ideas to add more content to CV gameplay as well as add new mechanics:

1. Allow fighters to do strafing runs on ships

This idea has been mentioned before but i would like to add to it. Have you ever had fighters hanging around doing nothing? With this option i suggest that by holding alt you can select a strafing run in a straight line (Like the USN torp bomber indicator). For balance i propose that it does no damage to the HP pool of a ship but has a chance to damage and disable modules such as AA. Strafing runs would use alot of ammo up also. Also during a run the fighters might be more vulnerable to AA. The straight line means if a ship turns it will receive much less to no damage.

2. Make Dive-bombers multi-rolled

In real life dive bombers were generally fighters with bombs attached. I propose that dive bombers are able to attack enemy squads. This would fix the complaints of not enough fighters. For balance DBs would have less ammo, HP, and damaged compared to normal fighters. They would also not cause the locking and slowing affect of normal fighters.

3. Create a Buff/Debuff system

I would love fighter battles to be more than slinging yourself at the enemy squads and praying to the RNG gods that you win. Maybe create if you are under attack from enemy AA you receive less DPS. Another buff/debuff could be if your near a friendly carrier your fighters receive a buff of some kind (This would help prevent Carrier KO at the start of the game.) 

4. Create a fighter formation system

My idea for this would be to create options for fighters in different gameplay styles and roles. These formations would be toggled via a short cut key. Some ideas are; Arrow head formation (PROS: Increased DPS for a short time while engaging an enemy squadron, then divert to attack formation. CONS: Use more ammo during duration and receive a health debuff for the duration.), Attack formation: (PROS: 40% more damage and 20% speed buff CONS: receive 30% more damage from fighters and AA), Defence formation: (PROS: 40% more resistance from fighter and AA damage CONS: 30% less damage and 20% Slow debuff), Balance formation: (No PROS or CONS), Travel formation: (PROS 50% more speed CONS: receive 80% more damage from all sources). For balance formations can only be changed every 30 secs.

5. Create clouds for hiding and cover

I would love to have clouds act like bushes in wot. This could add a surprise element to air battles. Cloud could be slow moving requiring moving from place to place. Fighters in cloud could not only be cloaked but receive a buff of some sorts.

6. Add a fuel system for planes

Im sick of people being able to camp their planes so adding a fuel system would be cool. It would not only limit camping and time up of planes but require more skill in deciding wether to scramble your fighters or not. Maybe allow refuelling from ally carriers or captured airbases. (Read on)

7. Add capturable Airports and bases

Having the ability for CVs to capture Airports could work well with the fuel system noted above. Airports would have excellent AA providing cover for friendly ships and aircraft. It can act as a refuelling station for CVs. By only allowing CVs to capture Airports it can encourage CVs not to camp as capturing these places can give you an advantage of AA cover as well as increasing your range by refuelling your planes. In addition to this maybe for ships Forts could be added for AA and ship defence.

8. Lastly maybe add new plane types?

I am thinking it would be great if new aircraft could be added EG. Attack aircraft with rockets (HE damage like DB but not much HP damage), Heavy fighters (Slower and have more HP but cant be locked during dogfight like normal fighters), Refuelling planes (To refuel planes but have little to no defence).

Thanks for reading,

Thoughts and further suggestions would be appreciated. If you liked my suggestions feel free to give me a +1

1 : okay strafe runs.... but nope i wouldn't like that feature XD

2:  i'm okay with the current roles for each plane types

3 : AA is like spamming bullets in the air isn't it more like debuff for both sides's planes, planes are small to see and i have doubts the people shooting down planes can see which plane is on which side

4 : agreeable idea :) but people be toggling to counter enemy fighter's formation right before engagement haha

5 :seems logical

6 : refueling is true but usualy planes are able to fly for hours in battle so i highly doubt we need that especially planes usualy could fly maybe 3-5 hours i'm not very sure(didnt google or research it) but planes should be able to fly for quite a while.

7 : Haha you want them to have air bases? or you got this idea from suggestion : 6 ? if they implement this system you must know the fact that planes should be able to last for hours, developers need to revamp every single map to support an airbase, and the game is focus on ships not structures.

8 : okay half decent suggestion i guess,  rocket  aircraft, why not just have a toggle armament for dive bombers/torpedo bombers?

then again i highly doubt they have the technology of on air refueling -_-

heavy fighters ... no comment

sorry if i offended you on the fuel, i just disagree alot on it 

Edited by ShiraYukira

Alpha Tester
878 posts
151 battles

I did mention a 30 sec cooldown between toggling formations :P. I don't think WG cares much for realism. For example its not that other tank company and realistically you cant rearm 6 planes in 20 secs like in game. So scaling fuel to minutes wouldn't be that hard.

Edited by Black_Pantheras

505 posts
4,176 battles

I did mention a 30 sec cooldown between toggling formations :P. I don't think WG cares much for realism. For example its not that other tank company and realistically you cant rearm 6 planes in 20 secs like in game. So scaling fuel to minutes wouldn't be that hard.

my apologies on the part for not reading the entire paragraph (lol),

Well still "fuel"~~~~

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

1: I think it is better to create separate plane class, the so-called Fighter-Bomber such as F6F Hellcat that can equip 2x 1000 pounds bombs and 6x 127MM HVAR (High-velocity aerial rockets). They are basically Fighter who can also do Bombing run, although the downside is that they aren't as good as dedicated Bomber and they have much less ammo for the guns, balance reasons. Strafing is only effective for taking out AA guns and stuff, although I don't think that's a good idea because it would nullify ship-borne AA defense a bit too much. Rockets are fine though, because they are basically mini dive bombs, and each plane can launch only 1 volley before having to rearm.

2: I don't think we should make all DB multi-roled, as only some of them are actually Fighter-Bomber. Things like IJN D3A, USN SDB Dauntless are ill-suited for Fighter role. Heck, even thing like RN FireBrand with its 4x 20mm Hispano cannons are not good for Fighter duty, because they are too slow and unmaneuverable to engage enemy Fighters. Sure you have those forward-firing guns, but can you point it at enemy dedicated Fighters?

There are exceptions though, such as IJN B7A Ryusei, in which it practically an advanced Zero that can carry bomb or torpedo.

3: I don't know, it doesn't seem very realistic I suppose?

4: Again, not sure on this. I don't think formation affects cruising speed of planes, just that it affects how do planse of that group react to incoming attacks.

5: I'm up for this :medal: 

6: Maybe, maybe not. It can be a good or bad thing, but one thing for sure that it'll put even more work on higher tier Carrier captains.

7: That would work but requires some tweaking. Personally I think it's better to just make it as a place where you can replace aircraft losses (basically plane storage). For special battle, we could have certain player in charge of the base, just like an immobilized Carrier. This could come with a special "Assault/Defence" mode of its own with this airfield as the main base. Kind of like Battlestations Pacific maybe.

8: Ofcourse we'll get more aircrafts, although they would come with alternate CV branch instead, to create more diversity.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

1. Allow fighters to do strafing runs on ships

USN Fighter can do this better with 15% more ammo than IJN counterpart. But it quite costly as USN fighter have long rearming time in the hangar

2. Make Dive-bombers multi-rolled

Agree, but by having limited firepower, Health, and ammo

3. Create a Buff/Debuff system

That's good, and So AA crew must be careful at shooting when Allied Fighter is engaging enemy planes

4. Create a fighter formation system

How bout Idea to increase DB Accuracy (in the cost of something else)

5. Create clouds for hiding and cover

Great Idea, it should works like Fog and smoke but only affect planes and their Vision (Unable to detect enemy ship in the cloud)

6. Add a fuel system for planes

Refueling at allied carrier is a bit confusing to use

and since the game run for 20 minutes, i suggest fuel only for 3-6 minutes (and probably Perk and module for that as well)

7. Add capturable Airports and bases

Airports should give you something else other than Refueling place, such Vision, Aircraft Buff, Radar for enemy Planes in certain Radius, etc etc

While Bases provide Longer Vision, shorter Radar, etc etc

8. Lastly maybe add new plane types?

Heavy fighter such as Beaufighter could use Torpedoes as well

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

From a surface combatant perspective I don't mind all bar 7.

I can't restock smoke, repair etc from a base why should you be able to refuel etc from an allied CV/airfield?

I do like the idea of time (fuel) limiting AC.  None of the planes in game are dedicated long range scouts like the Catalina or Condor.

Already in Alpha Testers
300 posts
938 battles

I think all of the OP's ideas are very sound if you were designing a game called World of Aircraft Carriers.

As it is the skill difference between a beginner in CV's versus an expert is too great. Adding more complexity to CV game play will see the gap widen even more.

[BLUMR]
1,134 posts
1,377 battles

1. Strafing runs: Yes! but I can see DDs getting annoyed that, not only are they being lit up by fighters but  now they're getting strafed by them 

:P

2. Multi-role DBs: I would like to see this happening but as Gezeiten_Heimatwelt mentioned, some DBs weren't actually good or even average at dog fighting.

3. YES!

4.YES! anything to spice up fighter gameplay.

5.YES!

6&7: This is what happens when an aircraft from one carrier lands on another. 

rrqpzbs.jpg

[BLUMR]
1,134 posts
1,377 battles

Fighters Strafeing on DD dont much DMG Strafeing are only effective against the Transport ships and small light armour vessels.

Pretty sure 20mm and 30mm cannons on most mid-late war aircraft would wreck havoc on the deck/superstructure of a DD.

[BLUMR]
1,134 posts
1,377 battles

HmmMMM maybe effective against some Post WW1 and 2 DD but I dont think they does DMG on WW2 DD already saw Hellcat strafe DD but no DMG from the docementary video. 

The Hellcat was most likely using .50cals not cannons.

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

Yeah that what you said 20mm and 30mm and Hellcat carry 50mm Caliber. But still dont do DMG on DD unless you referring the unguided rocket which carrying 6000 pounds of warhead range is 1000nm and speed up to 1000km+. But I dont think WG will add it LOL.

Alpha Tester
982 posts

2. Multi-role DBs: I would like to see this happening but as Gezeiten_Heimatwelt mentioned, some DBs weren't actually good or even average at dog fighting.

They were if you had this guy on your team :popcorn:

[BLUMR]
1,134 posts
1,377 battles

Yeah that what you said 20mm and 30mm and Hellcat carry 50mm Caliber. But still dont do DMG on DD unless you referring the unguided rocket which carrying 6000 pounds of warhead range is 1000nm and speed up to 1000km+. But I dont think WG will add it LOL.

.50cals are 12.7mm not 50mm. 50mms is where you start treading into Anti Tank territory such as the BK-5 cannon used on the Me410.

They were if you had this guy on your team :popcorn:

If he was on my team there be no need to run an AS setup :P

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

The 127mm HVAR that US Navy/Airforce use on their Fighter/Bomber is viable against naval targets. Destroyers are thinly armored, even with 7.5 pounds of warhead from that 134 pounds rocket is still capable of doing considerable damage. Against bigger targets like Battleships, they are still able to take out AA gun mounts and so on.

.50 cal HMG can penetrate DD armor, but such weapon doesn't pack any explosive in it to do any real damage like you said. 20 and 30mm autocannons however, do pack some punch and it is perfectly capable of causing considerable damage, just not much because of the multiple layers of "stuffs" behind the main armor which can stop the shell before the reach critical machinery spaces. But considering the number of shots you can put into a DD with an aircraft, the crews gonna get wrecked and most of the ship would be unoperational, aside from the propulsion.

If we are going to implement aircraft strafing into the game, it would function as a way to disable ship's AA gun mounts mainly. I don't see much else that planes can do with their main guns anyway, unless it is something like the Hs129B3 with its 75mm AT gun or PBJ1H with 75mm howitzer, but they aren't Fighter anyway. :hiding:

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

The 127mm HVAR that US Navy/Airforce use on their Fighter/Bomber is viable against naval targets. Destroyers are thinly armored, even with 7.5 pounds of warhead from that 134 pounds rocket is still capable of doing considerable damage. Against bigger targets like Battleships, they are still able to take out AA gun mounts and so on.

.50 cal HMG can penetrate DD armor, but such weapon doesn't pack any explosive in it to do any real damage like you said. 20 and 30mm autocannons however, do pack some punch and it is perfectly capable of causing considerable damage, just not much because of the multiple layers of "stuffs" behind the main armor which can stop the shell before the reach critical machinery spaces. But considering the number of shots you can put into a DD with an aircraft, the crews gonna get wrecked and most of the ship would be unoperational, aside from the propulsion.

If we are going to implement aircraft strafing into the game, it would function as a way to disable ship's AA gun mounts mainly. I don't see much else that planes can do with their main guns anyway, unless it is something like the Hs129B3 with its 75mm AT gun or PBJ1H with 75mm howitzer, but they aren't Fighter anyway. :hiding:

I do argree with you that strageing could disable AA guns but since you want 30mm guns I would recommend A-10 warhog :trollface:

Beta Tester
823 posts
4,972 battles

I think all of the OP's ideas are very sound if you were designing a game called World of Aircraft Carriers.

As it is the skill difference between a beginner in CV's versus an expert is too great. Adding more complexity to CV game play will see the gap widen even more.

My thoughts really.  The game would revolve around CV's far too much, and every other surface ship suddenly becomes a support ship.

I guess it might be acceptable if the game had more for other vessels, such as surface convoys to protect/capture or something. 

112 posts
1,613 battles

They need to fix fighters first. A Carrier with 1 flight of Fighters can smash my 30 bombers in 1 go. I cant out run them so all he has to do is sit out of range of my Carrier, an if I launch them,...dead no planes left an I have to  leave the game. So no, we dont need more things for them to do.