Chawp

Carrier Positioning Guide.

4 comments in this topic

[BLUMR]
1,134 posts
1,377 battles

Here is a short guide I've done up about Carrier Positioning.

I'll start off by saying this: This guide isn't a "You must do x and y to achieve z" kind of guide, its more guidelines based on my experience to further improve your CV gameplay and how to further benefit your team. 

So here is Chawp's guide to where to position your CV.

Introduction:

The overall message of this guide is short and simple: As a CV player, move your carrier along with the bulk of your team. Now I don't mean you should be fighting on the main battleline brawling it out with the CAs and DDs but be close enough to your team where you won't be spotted but able to provide mutual support for each other.

Yes yes I can already here the cries of "BUT CHAWP I CAN DO THE SAME WHILE SITTING BEHIND AN ISLAND AT SPAWN". Not really, I'll explain this in a simple Pros and Cons format.

Pros:

1. An Increase in potential DPM.

No, your bombers don't just do 1000x extra damage just by staying near your team, what I mean by this is that it reduces the travel time for your bombers resulting in more sorties you can launch overall in a match. 

Think of it as a faster reload speed if you were in another ship.

2. Assistance from allies.

We've all been there, a DD has snuck past our allies and is suddenly launching torps at us or the horde of an enemy CV's aircraft have been spotted making a B line to you. You cry for help but no one is close enough to offer you assistance and you sink to the bottom.

Staying close to your allies alleviates this problem, friendly CLs/CAs are not only in range but are more incline to help you since they don't have to travel all the way back to spawn.

3. You become less of an ideal target for enemy CVs.

Pretty straightforward. A CV by itself is an ideal target to Alpha strike with, however a CV under the cover of various CAs and BBs AA layer is a much more risky target. This would buy you much more time to find and eliminate the enemy CV especially if he/she is all by their lonesome.

Cons.

1. Being close(er) to the enemy.

Obviously being close to your team means the enemy is gonna find you faster if your team happens to get decimated. Always be aware of whats happening to the fleet and gauge when its a time to bug out.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I know a picture is worth more than a thousand words so here is an example on the map "New Dawn".

Legend:

Star           = Your Carrier

Triangle    =  Battlegroup (CAs/BBs e.t.c)

Warning: Non-equally sized shapes and bad MSpaint skills.

u2Mcp5U.png

If the bulk of your team is heading towards the C point, you should position yourself around the star(either if your green, the closer one offers a more aggressive position). This should keep you close enough to target enemies that are attacking C whilst a far enough to not be spotted. If your team is winning C, start moving closer and eventually make your way up/down the right hand side of the map whilst maintaining the same-ish distance with your team. If your team has control of B feel free to get closer to the middle of the map so you can eventually send support to A if needed.

If your team is heading towards A at the start of the game, then proceed to around the star shown. Keep an eye on whats happening at B, if the enemy seems to be winning B, decide whether or not to either push up closer to your team or fall back behind the island to avoid being detected by the enemy ships coming out of B. Once your team captured A and are pushing towards either B or the enemy spawn, you can either move up to the North West of the A islands if you are unsure about B or continue moving along the inner sides of the A islands. 

Needless to say, same theory applies to standard battles.

Also, If people are interested I could do up some of these for other maps as well. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In conclusion, as mentioned at the start, this is more of a guideline based off my experiences, if you find yourself under fire from enemy ships, move back don't just stay in that area cause I told you so, be dynamic and react to the situation accordingly.

Good luck to all you CV captains and hopefully this guide helps improve with your CV game.

15 posts
9,821 battles

Dear Langley + Hosho captains ... (and also Bouge + Zuiho captains). A critical piece of advice if not already highlighted by the above is. DO NOT SPAWN CAMP JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN !

Just because your ship can project firepower over terrain, doesn't mean you stay at the back with bow to an island.

Just because you have your own AA, doesn't mean you can stay at the back of the island.

Just because you are in the rear of the fleet, doesn't mean you're last to be attacked. 

Simply because ...

By default as a carrier (CV), everybody wants to kill you first !

Hiding behind an island at the back of the map is where enemies will LOOK FIRST for you! (you have become that predictable)

Hiding at the back denies yourself help from teammates. 

I've played CA, CV, DD etc ... and the reasons for each are 

CA/CL can provide AA, but they can't babysit your ass as the main firepower is 155mm and above. Means you're denying teammates their full use in battle. 

CV ... although you risk being spotted by moving forward. Its better being spotted in the middle of your teammates than being spotted alone. 

DD ... AA too weak, and typically DDs are offensive ships. So again, it doesn't do so well babysitting a CV. 

Finally ... my simple advice to wrap this up. Please follow your teammates where they go as a fleet. You live longer and I (personally) am tired of trying to bail your ass out when the enemy fleet comes from another flank while you are stationary. 

(Angry rant, my apologies but dammit you people need to learn this game faster)

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

With certain CVs it's also possible to deliberately get spotted and dodge the incoming enemy fire.

It requires some knowledge about the opposing ships' reload speed and accuracy though.

Low tier CVs are also not good at dodging shells, a prime example of a CV capable of dodging shells is the Ranger.

Edited by Retia

Beta Tester
28 posts
2,380 battles

Dear Langley + Hosho captains ... (and also Bouge + Zuiho captains). A critical piece of advice if not already highlighted by the above is. DO NOT SPAWN CAMP JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN !

Just because your ship can project firepower over terrain, doesn't mean you stay at the back with bow to an island.

Just because you have your own AA, doesn't mean you can stay at the back of the island.

Just because you are in the rear of the fleet, doesn't mean you're last to be attacked. 

Simply because ...

By default as a carrier (CV), everybody wants to kill you first !

Hiding behind an island at the back of the map is where enemies will LOOK FIRST for you! (you have become that predictable)

Hiding at the back denies yourself help from teammates. 

I've played CA, CV, DD etc ... and the reasons for each are 

CA/CL can provide AA, but they can't babysit your ass as the main firepower is 155mm and above. Means you're denying teammates their full use in battle. 

CV ... although you risk being spotted by moving forward. Its better being spotted in the middle of your teammates than being spotted alone. 

DD ... AA too weak, and typically DDs are offensive ships. So again, it doesn't do so well babysitting a CV. 

Finally ... my simple advice to wrap this up. Please follow your teammates where they go as a fleet. You live longer and I (personally) am tired of trying to bail your ass out when the enemy fleet comes from another flank while you are stationary. 

(Angry rant, my apologies but dammit you people need to learn this game faster)

I agree with you on the positioning for carriers. Though, with my use of the Bogue and Langley carriers, I could only move so far before I got sunk. Those low tier carriers turn and run like TOG IIs.

With my newly acquired Independence-class carrier, I keep myself mobile so enemy planes have to travel a longer distance before I'm spotted.  

It also ensures that when I do get spotted, there are a couple of friendly ships nearby with the combined anti-aircraft fire of an Iowa-class battleship.

Edited by Tank_Killerz