Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
CarbonMonoxide

How to encounter US CV with 2 fighters?

20 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
404 posts
1,148 battles

recently I climbed the IJN CV line again

I'm now at Zuiho

yesterday I found that I can lure the US fighter to attack my bomber first

then immediately attack him with my fighter

he won't be able to hurt my fighter even if he change the target

and today I found that this bug is gonna be fixed tomorrow T.T

Now I wonder how should I encounter US CV with 2 figters

if I don't follow the team, he can put 2 fighters above me, I'll have to let half of my planes die

if I follow the team closely, I'll risk myself being spotted, or he may spot me with his plane, I'll then get burnt down

if I follow the team at the back, he can spot me and keep his fighters nearby, both me and my planes are still in danger

yes I can hide my TB somewhere, but they have to land after each attack

if he put his fighters above me or nearby, I'll have to lose half of my planes after the first strike

and the remaining half when I launch my planes the third time

so I only have 2 striking chance if I'm doing everything properly, any mistake during the strike can ruin me

how can I encounter this?

Beta Tester
506 posts
1,386 battles

Lesson learned never abuse bugs.

OH THAT'S A BUG!?

Does that mean now we can disengage our fighters from that pesky somehow tanky scout fighters!?

Alpha Tester
1,063 posts
509 battles

OH THAT'S A BUG!?

Does that mean now we can disengage our fighters from that pesky somehow tanky scout fighters!?

That is a different mechanic with what the OP is referring to.

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

Muhahaha USN CV might be just worth it again.

But still, Ranger is still horrendously outclassed by Hiryu. Zuiho vs Inde is a close fight, though.

As for how-to-play, I'll leave it to the Maestro Halken.

[BLUMR]
1,134 posts
1,377 battles

They either die within 5 seconds or outlast the entirety of my fighter's ammo capacity (granted this is from an IJN viewpoint)

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

You can't counter them, USN CV's Air superiority loadout is there to deny any enemy CV attempting to bomb their fleet.

Ofcourse the USN CV captain took his risk for this, as he has very little ability at attacking your team's ships.

The only way to beat him is to somehow sneak your bombers through and kill him in 1 strike, although that depends on the competence of the enemy USN CV more than your own skill.

Muhahaha USN CV might be just worth it again.

But still, Ranger is still horrendously outclassed by Hiryu. Zuiho vs Inde is a close fight, though.

As for how-to-play, I'll leave it to the Maestro Halken.

They are still not worth it, the air superiority loadout on USN CV I mean.

You might be able to kill lots of planes, but good luck earning enough credits and exp to progress, it gonna take quite a lot of time.

40 plane kills equal to 1 ship kill. Lower tier CV don't have enough planes for that 1 kill.

Honestly, air superiority loadout is only viable in an organized battle only, where the main goal is winning rather than farming damage. In random battles I only see Balanced and Strike loadouts to be viable.

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

Honestly, air superiority loadout is only viable in an organized battle only, where the main goal is winning rather than farming damage. In random battles I only see Balanced and Strike loadouts to be viable.

I Strongly Disagree. Balance loadout means you Sacrifice the Advantage USN get - Air Superiority.

Indeed if you got lucky you will get like a bit more XP and Credits for the damage - Yet does it make the team Stronger than say shooting down 20 more bombers? I don't think so. Yet shooting down more bombers can help out the Crucial force of your team - BBs - A Lot.

Also, if the IJN CV go all-in for you, your lonely fighter squadron is simply Impossible to stop the attack and you're a dead meat at Tier 6 or Tier 7 when people get better at Torpedo Drops and Tactics.

Always Maximize your advantage (Air Superiority) and Minimize your disadvantage (Lack of Striking power). Thats my theory.

Edited by Alvin1020

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Always Maximize your advantage (Air Superiority) and Minimize your disadvantage (Lack of Striking power). Thats my theory.

...And be patience with the reward...

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

I Strongly Disagree. Balance loadout means you Sacrifice the Advantage USN get - Air Superiority.

Indeed if you got lucky you will get like 200 more XP - Yet does it make the team Stronger than say shooting down 20 more bombers? I don't think so. Yet shooting down more bombers can help out the Crucial force of your team - BBs - A Lot.

Also, if the IJN CV go all-in for you, your lonely fighter squadron is simply Impossible to stop the attack and you're a dead meat at Tier 6 or Tier 7 when people get better at Torpedo Drops and Tactics.

Always Maximize your advantage and Minimize your disadvantage. Thats my theory.

Yes, Air Superiority is USN CV's main advantage, and it does help BB on your team alot.

But don't forget, CV is one of the hardest-hitting class in WoWS right now, even 1 wave of US TB can cripple an enemy BB if well-aimed. I'm sure I can deal more damage using balanced loadout on USN CV than many BB captains on my team I met.

Well, that was before 0.4.0 anyway, since everything got wiped and I'm still at the crappy Langley, that thing is too slow for my taste :hiding:

The thing here is that, going Air superiority means you sacrifice your own power to deny enemy CV from affecting your fleet, but do you have enough confidence in your team being able to win the battle without your help? Random teams?

It's fine if it is 1v2 situation, but what about 1v1, 2v2 or 2v1? You are just removing yourself from the non-random factor that can decide the battle's outcome doing so. 

Ofcourse it's fine if you aren't good with bombing, but if you can reliably do good Torpedo and Bomb drops you better off be the one who can decide the battle instead. Fighters from balanced loadout is there to deny enemy CV from 1-shotting you before you can join up with your fleet who can protect you, also denying some enemy Bombers from attempting to make an attack on the fleet you are protecting.

There are exceptions to this rule though, such as the Lexington in which her Balanced loadout actually has the same number of Fighters but much more Bomber hitting power.

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

Indeed, But my focuses is on Tier 6 and Tier 7 (OP's issue).

That is the same thing, only Lexington is the exception to this rule.

But talk about that, if enemy tier6/7 US CV go air superiority, then practically he is not a threat to your own fleet. 1-2 group of US Dive Bomber can't really do anything substantial to anything that's not BB or CV. 

Independence only has 1 group of DB, it really can't do much damage with that.

Ranger does have 2 groups of DB, but it requires planning to make use of fire damage from Bombs. I don't think all CV captains at that tier know "that trick" :hiding:

The only real thing enemy Indy/Ranger does is annoying you if you are a CV, although I still think I can affect the battle's outcome if I split my bombers on multiple flanks, as well as doing division tactics.

But talk about that division tactics, it's actually possible to "lure" enemy Fighters away, using 1-2 groups of your bomber, let enemy Fighter chase them while you send the rest on another flank, either attack enemy ships or sneak up on enemy Carrier. It doesn't always work but better than not doing anything.

4 posts
1,355 battles

Hello, 

To OP,  IJN CV always have more active squadrons compare to US fighter at the same tier. Until Essex, US CV can only have max 2 squadrons of fighter, they cannot handle 4 or more squadrons of bomber and torp bomber at the same time. you can distract them with multiple squadrons flight multiple direction and make him chose which one to engage. Even then at Essex, Taiho can with 7 squadrons can overrun Essex 3 squadrons  of fighter and sink Essex if you plane your attack well. 

Hope it help

Beta Tester
404 posts
1,148 battles

You can't counter them, USN CV's Air superiority loadout is there to deny any enemy CV attempting to bomb their fleet.

Ofcourse the USN CV captain took his risk for this, as he has very little ability at attacking your team's ships.

The only way to beat him is to somehow sneak your bombers through and kill him in 1 strike, although that depends on the competence of the enemy USN CV more than your own skill.

They are still not worth it, the air superiority loadout on USN CV I mean.

You might be able to kill lots of planes, but good luck earning enough credits and exp to progress, it gonna take quite a lot of time.

40 plane kills equal to 1 ship kill. Lower tier CV don't have enough planes for that 1 kill.

I can't keep their fighters focusing on my luring squads

as my TB will have to go deep into their base, they'll definitely be spotted before I spot the CV

regardless how fast my TB is, their fighter is faster than my TB

I may have enough time to catch the CV

but if he keeps turning, I'll need some time to launch at different angle

their fighter will be likely to come back in time and I can only hit 2-3 times

I can't kill him with 2-3 hits

Hello, 

To OP,  IJN CV always have more active squadrons compare to US fighter at the same tier. Until Essex, US CV can only have max 2 squadrons of fighter, they cannot handle 4 or more squadrons of bomber and torp bomber at the same time. you can distract them with multiple squadrons flight multiple direction and make him chose which one to engage. Even then at Essex, Taiho can with 7 squadrons can overrun Essex 3 squadrons  of fighter and sink Essex if you plane your attack well. 

Hope it help

2 US fighter can take down 4 IJN squad in my experience

although they can't handle 4 at the same time

they can take down a whole squad within a few seconds

they're even faster than IJN TB

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

ah, Rubbish Loadout

Lexington's 2/0/2

Need to be removed or adjusted

Ranger need 3/0/0 - Rewards Sucks that is... QAQ