Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Boom_King

Gun issues

4 comments in this topic

3 posts
1,204 battles

I have noticed some gunnery issues that are really annoying. Maybe it's internet lag/lost packet related?  It's most noticeable playing on a BB, due to the long reload time that makes misplaced shots more painful.  The last 10 games playing my Tier V BB (New York) I've experienced all of these:

1/ Despite the ship having the reticule icon showing it is the current target, the games gunnery system decides that you really do want to aim at the hill 4km closer... why can't I fire over the damn thing, when the arc should clearly take it over? Surely no one ever plans on aiming at the land masses - this isn't a feature!

2/ Missing shots - sometimes I'll fire a broadside and only see a couple of shots actually fly... and all guns have the reload timer going

3/ Discharging when it shouldn't - sometimes I'll fire the guns that are facing, while the others are still rotating... yet the reload counter resets for all guns

4/ Falling horribly short - once in a while I'll fire a salvo that just falls ridiculously short. As in a 1km or more shorter from where I'd aimed to hit. And no, it's not to do with my ability to deflection shoot.

Anyone else experience these?

Super Tester
2,725 posts

I have noticed some gunnery issues that are really annoying. Maybe it's internet lag/lost packet related?  It's most noticeable playing on a BB, due to the long reload time that makes misplaced shots more painful.  The last 10 games playing my Tier V BB (New York) I've experienced all of these:

1/ Despite the ship having the reticule icon showing it is the current target, the games gunnery system decides that you really do want to aim at the hill 4km closer... why can't I fire over the damn thing, when the arc should clearly take it over? Surely no one ever plans on aiming at the land masses - this isn't a feature!

2/ Missing shots - sometimes I'll fire a broadside and only see a couple of shots actually fly... and all guns have the reload timer going

3/ Discharging when it shouldn't - sometimes I'll fire the guns that are facing, while the others are still rotating... yet the reload counter resets for all guns

4/ Falling horribly short - once in a while I'll fire a salvo that just falls ridiculously short. As in a 1km or more shorter from where I'd aimed to hit. And no, it's not to do with my ability to deflection shoot.

1) unfortunately that's not how the game works. The controls are already simplistic & not too realistic, but letting the gunnery AI do aim work for you and hit the target over the obstacle is no no. Balance issue. But you can still hit the target with adjustment, and if not then no.

2) you probably hit an obstacle, don't get tunnel vision. You may happened to get out of cover & try shoot the target but hit an obstacle.

3) that happens when you select different round on your next shot. Assuming you will load AP round next shot & 2 of your main gun fired, the other main turrets which haven't fired HE will automatically load AP shells. Yes, this is on purpose.

4) Assuming you aim for the waterline of the enemy ship 2 km from you, not all shots will land perfectly. Since the RNG spread on battleship is wider than cruiser after all.

3 posts
1,204 battles

Thanks for the reply.

1) Understood, thanks

2) Oh I've certainly fired my fair share of shots into a nearby island. But I am talking about shots out in open sea

3) Ah probably exactly what happened.

4) There is still an intermittent bug here. It's not the RNG, let me explain. Assuming dispersion is symmetrical distribution (equally likely to fall short or long) then 12 shots all falling short due to random variation would be 0.5 x 10^12 = 0.02% chance...  or once in 5000 shots. And falling horribly short, as in km short? No. There's a bug.

Beta Tester
27 posts
2,554 battles

2. Definitely. Same thing happens to me, thought I'd see if anyone else had the same issue.

It always seems to happen on the first lot of shots I fire in battle and then is fine for the rest of the battle.

All turrets fire, yet only one set of shots will be visible and able to hit target. All guns that fired go into reload timer.

Sign in to follow this