Sign in to follow this  
Fadhz

Furutaka, a basic guide

24 comments in this topic

Super Tester
293 posts
4,850 battles

Greetings fellow seaman, captains etc

Recently i noticed several captains who just got the Furutaka ( in the forums and in WoWs FB groups ) have been struggling with the Furutaka. I thought I personally can share my own tricks and tips when using the Furutaka during the OBT ( since during the CBT when it was released back in 3.1 I was like in the Zao/Senjo already so didnt quite spend much time playing with it , and also was focusing on trying out the USN BB's) so yeah I thought this could help you guys enjoy playing the Furutaka at its finest.

Part 1: The (Horrid) Stock grind

Its a bit painfull knowing that the stock Furutaka has 20 secs reload, and 16 secs of turret traverse . Compared to the kuma which has a faster ROF and turret traverse. not to mention only 2 sets of torpedo launchers per side and in the back of the ship. If you have free xp I suggest quickly unlocking the second hull which grants you access to the gun upgrades. But for those of you who dont hv such amounts of free XP, Play as a Support for your teammates. Those 8 Inch shells can do a heck lot of damage if you know where to hit the citadels of enemy cruisers ( use AP of course), and with HE can still do good dmg on DD's and BB's.And keep in mind always try to maneuver when you are under fire by enemies. Dont push yourselves too hard to engage enemies with good ROF for now ( except if you know the risks and you're capable of handling the 20 secs reload time + turret traverse). Now to counter the horrid turret traverse maneuver the ship to point your guns at the enemy as its faster than waiting for the turret to traverse fully ( make sure to maneuver again when under fire, as by doing so you're exposing your citadels but personally that's the best way to counter its horrid turret traverse)

Part 2: Upgrades

after collecting a decent amount of XP, Here's the Upgrade pattern that I personally recommend. Though you can try your own upgrade patterns which suits you best.

2nd Hull upgrade ( Unlocks the 2nd gun with 16 secs of reload )> Gun upgrade ( 203mm/50 type 3)> FCS> Final hull.

Now some of you might wonder why I pick the FCS first before the final hull upgrade, well its because that increase in range do help you engage more targets within 12/13 km. And your 8 Inchers are capable of dishing out good damage at such ranges. 

Part 3, Fully upgraded grind

With the furutaka fully upgraded , you can play a more of  an aggressive role . The faster reload at 16 secs really helps you out in engagements  and the added HP helps you sustain more damage. Keep in mind that like the stock furutaka, maneuvering is the key to counter the horrid turret traverse and to minimize damage. For the torpedoes use them only in close quarters situation as with a 6 km range you wont hit anything from far with your torpedoes, I do recomend you conserve the torpedoes for valuable targets like battleships or any target that you have a hard time penetrating with your guns or simply ships that just wander too close to you .Use your guns primarily and only use torpedoes if you managed to get close to an enemy. As for the AA, its there but wont do any much good against waves of planes , this is why try to go in wolfpacks if possible. as you can stack up your AA firepower, and if you are alone always maneuver to distract the enemy planes from like 4 kms  and reduce the chances of a torpedo hit.

Part 4, Conclusion 

In the end the Furutaka is a good ship to play, even though its stats are horrid but if played properly. It can decimate ships of its tier and bellow ( or even above in some cases). The key to playing it is  maneuvering and always have a good situational  awareness of whats going on around you. The Furutaka does prepare you for the rest of the IJN CA line ( Especially the myoko, which have the same turret traverse) even though some of which has better stats in turret traverse or reload and other areas  . But the general play style is the same. Maneuvering to get the best of your salvos and to minimize damage when under fire from the enemy, and conserving your torpedoes for valuable targets like battleships or ships that strayed too close at you and poses the biggest risk to your survival. 

GUIDE UPDATE: Captain skills

Its been a while since I updated this guide, but now I would like to share my recommended captain skill build for the furutaka for 

1> Basic firing training OR Basics of survivability

2> Expert marksman ( this ones a must, since it reduces your turret traverse speeds)

3> Superintendent ( for the added planes, a bit useful to detect those DD's) OR Advance survivability ( forgot the exact name of the skill, but its the third skill in the survivability tree)  

4> Advance firing training  OR last stand

5 (optional)> Jack of all trades

Thats all guys I hope this guide will help any of you guys which are struggling in the Furutaka, if you have any questions dont hesitate to put comments down bellow. Cheers!

Edited by Fadhz

Super Tester
293 posts
4,850 battles

Bots can do lol, but PVP can get you more XP i guess ( if the results goes well lol)

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,155 battles

Well... Better play against bots for exp. You can earn more exp in random but the Furutaka is not a particularly good ship, so having a good game with it is difficult. I rather choose the "less frustrating" way.

Still... I choose to skip that ship with free exp and go straight to the Aoba, which is decent...

Super Tester
293 posts
4,850 battles

You can free xp it if you're really that frustrated lol, but try to learn the ship more since I guess its like a teacher for the rest of the IJN CA line.

14 posts
497 battles

I would also like to add that it is rather important to know citadel locations in general, as well as AP/HE on various targets. AP is absolutely devastating towards things like Omahas and other CAs with citadel hits; HE is useful on DDs, BBs and CVs, and you deserve to die in a flaming wreck if you fire HE at other HE spamming CAs, etc.

Super Tester
293 posts
4,850 battles

I would also like to add that it is rather important to know citadel locations in general, as well as AP/HE on various targets. AP is absolutely devastating towards things like Omahas and other CAs with citadel hits; HE is useful on DDs, BBs and CVs, and you deserve to die in a flaming wreck if you fire HE at other HE spamming CAs, etc.

That's true (should hv mention it in my post lol) since the furutaka primarily plays with AP and due to the low ROF you technically cant spam HE too on other cruisers  (though I wont recomend spaming HE on other cruisers in the first place  )

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

Citadels are located right under the main gun turrets and the funnels. Usually right at the waterline behind the main armor belt.

Hitting Citadel is half luck, half skill. RNG can screw your accuracy over but you still need to point the aim reticle at where you should shoot to hit it. Then there comes effective armor thickness and shell penetration value, those are really hard to manually calculate so you have to gather data from experience. I think Syanda did a guide on that, let me look for it.

Generally, 203mm AP shells are effective against Cruisers and Carriers unless they are highly angled. Against Battleships it's usually better to just shoot HE instead, because most of them have armor thick enough to neutralize 203mm shells' penetration.

EDIT: 

http://forum.worldofwarships.asia/index.php?/topic/6821-citadels-and-you-your-guide-to-massive-damage/

Also,

That's true (should hv mention it in my post lol) since the furutaka primarily plays with AP and due to the low ROF you technically cant spam HE too on other cruisers  (though I wont recomend spaming HE on other cruisers in the first place  )

You can shoot Furutaka's 203mm HE at anything, that low RoF is compensated by high damage and chance of fire.

But like you said, if a Furutaka captain firing HE at Cruisers showing their broadside, they deserve the failure.

Edited by Gezeiten_Heimatwelt

Super Tester
293 posts
4,850 battles

Citadels are located right under the main gun turrets and the funnels. Usually right at the waterline behind the main armor belt.

Hitting Citadel is half luck, half skill. RNG can screw your accuracy over but you still need to point the aim reticle at where you should shoot to hit it. Then there comes effective armor thickness and shell penetration value, those are really hard to manually calculate so you have to gather data from experience. I think Syanda did a guide on that, let me look for it.

Generally, 203mm AP shells are effective against Cruisers and Carriers unless they are highly angled. Against Battleships it's usually better to just shoot HE instead, because most of them have armor thick enough to neutralize 203mm shells' penetration.

EDIT: 

http://forum.worldofwarships.asia/index.php?/topic/6821-citadels-and-you-your-guide-to-massive-damage/

Also,

You can shoot Furutaka's 203mm HE at anything, that low RoF is compensated by high damage and chance of fire.

But like you said, if a Furutaka captain firing HE at Cruisers showing their broadside, they deserve the failure.

Yeah against  DD's and BB's you can (mistake on that part by me lol) but cruisers, absolutely nope except if you're in a bad position or so
Edited by Fadhz

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

i soon will have enough point for this ship....

reading the comment in the forum before i found this post make me want to Grinding using Kuma until i have enough Free exp.

but now something pop in my head, is all the rest of the Cruiser in IJN line will be like this? slow turning and slow reload? the pain when i playing as BB is enough, i dont want to feel that in CL too....

up to this point, kuma is my fav ship. HE spamming..... can Kuma win against tier VII above ? if it can, i want to stay using it for ever...

thanks

Super Tester
293 posts
4,850 battles

i soon will have enough point for this ship....

reading the comment in the forum before i found this post make me want to Grinding using Kuma until i have enough Free exp.

but now something pop in my head, is all the rest of the Cruiser in IJN line will be like this? slow turning and slow reload? the pain when i playing as BB is enough, i dont want to feel that in CL too....

up to this point, kuma is my fav ship. HE spamming..... can Kuma win against tier VII above ? if it can, i want to stay using it for ever...

thanks

The rest of the IJN line varies, tier 6 and above will usually either have a combination of: Good RoF and Good Turret traverse (Aoba &  Zao/Senjo), Slow turret traverse but fast ROF(Myoko & Mogami with 15cm/6 Inch) , Slow ROF but fast turret traverse (Ibuki & Mogami with 20cm/8 Inch). Ohh and one piece of advice, try to start learning to use AP shells when dealing against other cruisers ( Especially their citadels, gives lots of dmg) . It might be difficult at first but this will rly help once you reach the Furutaka , since against cruisers the Furutaka;s strong points are those 8 Inchers and they pack a punch with AP.

What if I said, I ever citadeled Myogi with this ship...once..

Its still possible even in the latest patch but the chances are....rare lol

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

The rest of the IJN line varies, tier 6 and above will usually either have a combination of: Good RoF and Good Turret traverse (Aoba &  Zao/Senjo), Slow turret traverse but fast ROF(Myoko & Mogami with 15cm/6 Inch) , Slow ROF but fast turret traverse (Ibuki & Mogami with 20cm/8 Inch). Ohh and one piece of advice, try to start learning to use AP shells when dealing against other cruisers ( Especially their citadels, gives lots of dmg) . It might be difficult at first but this will rly help once you reach the Furutaka , since against cruisers the Furutaka;s strong points are those 8 Inchers and they pack a punch with AP.

thanks for the advice, i will try my best to learn it. changing HE and AP based on the situation right? 

... i prefer fast reload because i rarely manuvering. LOL just going straight....maybe that is why i almost always sunk... :'( 

Myoko and Mogami will be my Target then.

thanks again.

Super Tester
293 posts
4,850 battles

thanks for the advice, i will try my best to learn it. changing HE and AP based on the situation right? 

... i prefer fast reload because i rarely manuvering. LOL just going straight....maybe that is why i almost always sunk... :'( 

Myoko and Mogami will be my Target then.

thanks again.

Yep always change the shell types based on the situation, HE for DD's and BB's AP for Cruisers ( and sometimes battleships too lol ). For CV both shell types will do depending on your wants ( HE to disable its flight deck + dmg several modules, AP for good ole Citadel pens and raw dmg ).

And yeah maneuvering is important for IJN CA's lol, as there literally have large citadels lol

Note: the furutaka is getting buffed soon so might be easier to play, but the general play style remains

Edited by Fadhz

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

Yep always change the shell types based on the situation, HE for DD's and BB's AP for Cruisers ( and sometimes battleships too lol ). For CV both shell types will do depending on your wants ( HE to disable its flight deck + dmg several modules, AP for good ole Citadel pens and raw dmg ).

And yeah maneuvering is important for IJN CA's lol, as there literally have large citadels lol

Note: the furutaka is getting buffed soon so might be easier to play, but the general play style remains

:honoring: aye aye Captain!

1,054 posts
3,918 battles

Well done OP....good guide there.

One thing to add, if it's not already suggested. Always angle your hull towards enemy to minimize damage. That's one thing i learned while playing the furutaka.

I managed to grind out the Aoba with a 62% winrate in furutaka. It works if you play it as suggested.

Super Tester
293 posts
4,850 battles

Well done OP....good guide there.

One thing to add, if it's not already suggested. Always angle your hull towards enemy to minimize damage. That's one thing i learned while playing the furutaka.

I managed to grind out the Aoba with a 62% winrate in furutaka. It works if you play it as suggested.

Ohh yeah angling , forgot that part lol. Angling + Maneuvering is like the key aspect for the Furutaka anyways lol

32 posts
1,587 battles

Ive been putting furutaka off and on this couple of weeks, and i only need roughly 10k exp left to clear it, the gun traverse is indeed horrible, a slight adjustment to the rudder and you cant fire anymore, it got a lot harder to grind it when the German CA line went out,

Super Tester
293 posts
4,850 battles

You might want to consider expert marksman , helps with that turret traverse 

Edited by Fadhz

Sign in to follow this