You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
benlisquare

[0.4.0] Bug Report: Port screen uses excessive GPU resources to the point of overheating, may potentially cause housefires

13 comments in this topic

Super Tester
1,177 posts
4,099 battles

1. Description

The game client uses an excessive amount of GPU resources while displaying the home port screen, to the point where the GPU overheats and reaches extremely high temperatures. In fact, the port screen uses more GPU resources than actual in-game battles; the GPU fan speed and temperatures happen to be markedly lower whilst in-battle compared to at the port screen.

Currently it is winter in Australia, however during the summertime this may potentially cause housefires if players leave the game running for long time durations, idle at the home port screen. In addition, I'd presume that players with high-end nVidia cards would have a much more severe circumstance compared to mine, and this is also likely to be the case for people who have much more poorly ventilated machines compared to mine.

2. Reproduction steps

Run the game, leave the game sitting idle within the home port screen for long durations of time, record GPU temperatures.

3. Result

The following temperature chart shows the changes in GPU temperature whilst in-battle, for comparison purposes. Units are in degrees Celsius. The battle begins immediately after the sharp dip from 60 degrees Celsius (at the time when the game was minimised and the Windows desktop was displayed), and reaches an average temperature of 81 degrees Celsius during the battle.

Cq6HTG6.png

The following temperature chart shows the changes in GPU temperature whilst left idle in the home port screen. Units are in degrees Celsius. The time period spent within the port screen is immediately after the second dip; for comparison purposes, the period directly preceding the dip is the in-battle temperature shown earlier. Whilst at the port screen, the temperature reached a maximum value of 86 degrees Celsius before I ALT+TAB-ed to desktop to take a screenshot of the temperature reading. Had I not done so, the temperature would have continued to rise, given that the upward parabolic curve has yet to fully plateau.

H1RU9D9.png

4. Expected result

The port screen should not overutilise GPU resources, to the point where the GPU generates more heat at the port screen compared to actual battles. Given that players are often likely to leave the game running idle whilst at the port screen (e.g. looking for food/drinks), the GPU utilisation should be at least the same as a battle, if not less.

5. Technical details

While testing the temperatures as described above, the following graphics settings were used:

Cy1RPTD.jpg

Dxdiag: http://pastebin.com/P2qnR9S0

Addendum: My computer has removable dust filters attached to the fans, and I clean them every two months.

Edited by benlisquare

20 posts
939 battles

I have on "Ultra" settings and my Graphics card doesn't even get warm, the max the fan speed get's up to is 30% even leaving it idle on the "Garage" / "Port" screen for long periods.

The PC fan sit's on 20% when just doing random non-gaming things.

Mind you i don't have a budget Spec'd PC. :trollface:

Change from Medium to Lowest as you do have a weak Graphics Card. :teethhappy:

Super Tester
1,177 posts
4,099 battles

Change from Medium to Lowest as you do have a weak Graphics Card. :teethhappy:

Nope, I average around 72 frames per second in battle. It has nothing to do with system requirements, there is no excuse for defending poor optimisation. "Upgrade your specs" is a cheap cop-out that doesn't solve the issue, it ignores the existence of a very real and apparent problem. Furthermore, you didn't even post your temperature readings, which makes your post completely worthless and of zero merit, a complete and utter waste of time and energy.

I am not the only person who has reported irregular GPU activity while at the home port only (please read the OP, there is no reason for there to be such discrepancies between in-battle and in-port GPU usage), this is a common complaint on the NA WoWS forums, and on other third-party internet forums. Please double-check on your reading comprehension, this post isn't a "why does this game use so much resources" complaint, it's a "why does the port screen have excessive GPU usage compared to the rest of the game" optimisation request.

Keep in mind that while in World of Tanks, with the graphics set to maximum (albeit averaging between 20 and 30 frames per second), my temperatures never exceed 78 degrees Celsius.

Edited by benlisquare

Beta Tester
301 posts
113 battles

That's a pretty high temp for a vidya card I think, especially an NVidia one.

I play with an ATI Radeon 5570 with a broken GPU fan, and my average is around 62-64 degrees. Reaching 70 means GPU failure for me.

I tried replicating your settings, including playing at 1080 even though I normally go ay 1366x768 since that's what my monitor natively supports and got this:
MjBHxx1.jpg

The 62 degree peak is from my earlier test with my own settings, while the 64 degrees is testing with your settings. These tests are from home port, non premium, while having an upgraded Kuma on the port.

I live in the Philippines, where my room temperature is around 36-38 normally, so I guess it'll be lower if I had an A/C unit in my room as well. Dunno how cold/warm Australian winters are though.

Should be noted that I removed the OCing from my card after I broke the fan while cleaning, and my computer just recently underwent a complete cleaning, including replacing the heatsink paste on both CPU and GPU.

I clean her twice a year, every six months or so, so maybe cleaning/heat sink paste is the problem?

EDIT: I'll try posting a comparison with battles later, after my errands yea.

Edited by skittleslol

Super Tester
1,177 posts
4,099 battles

That's a pretty high temp for a vidya card I think, especially an NVidia one.

I play with an ATI Radeon 5570 with a broken GPU fan, and my average is around 62-64 degrees. Reaching 70 means GPU failure for me.

Snooping around a few forums, it seems like it's a common occurrence for systems with GTX 600, GTX 700, and GTX 900 series nVidia cards. Perhaps it would be a good idea to collect GPU temps for different card models, and see if there's a correlation between different GPU series (or even nVidia itself) and the heat fluctuations.

On your ATI card, it would be good to know how much the difference is between in-port and in-battle temperatures. Eagerly awaiting your test results.

Also quite interesting to see that your card's model is two years older than mine, yet it can maintain a healthy temperature at the same game settings as mine (I'd assume your FPS would be around 30 to 60?); if there are other people with ATI cards out there, please post your results as well. I wonder if there's a statistical trend here. In regards to maintenance, I use compressed air to clean my internals, however I haven't performed a thermal paste check/replacement yet, this might also be a significant factor.

Edited by benlisquare

Beta Tester
301 posts
113 battles

Huh, got some time before errand, decided to do a test with your settings.

So I played a battle in St. Louis, got into the thick of it, burned and saw tons of torps from planes. All while running 20FPS because the 5570 isn't built for 1080p gaming.

Still, my temp stayed at around 62-63 degrees

uzAaWQN.jpg

What's interesting is when I exited to port and decided to idle around to see the comparison

G1hFmOr.jpg

The one on the right is the temp while idling at port. You can kinda see how my cooldown isn't as sharp as yours since the card doesn't have a working fan anymore. It isn't much different with the battle one for me. There's a discrepancy of around 0.5-1 degrees from the 64 degrees a while ago, but it's gotten rainy here all of a sudden so my room cooled down a bit, so I guess that could be expected.

I got a friend who runs a dual SLI of 770's, so I'll try ask him if he can do the tests on an NVidia card to see if it's a card problem, if it can help. I'll also run a test with my own settings later, since it's my more stable settings at 30-60FPS.

Super Tester
1,177 posts
4,099 battles

Nice work, thanks for that. Good to see some different results there, hopefully we can see more results from ATI and nVidia cards as well.

Based on what I've gathered, your card reaches a certain temperature threshold, and once it reaches that point it no longer seeks additional graphical resources (or perhaps it's reached its upper limit, unless you OC). Whereas with my card, it continues to use up graphical processing power, potentially up until the point where the silicon begins to melt. Interesting.

Oh, by the way, I'm not OCing my card, so theoretically it should stop at its maximum processing limit based on factory settings.

Edited by benlisquare

Alpha Tester
57 posts
2,138 battles

Before any gets too worried.

The OP is using an Asus Notebook with GTX660M graphics.

81C may seems quite hot, but it shouldn't be hot enough to damage the GPU.

Considering the GPU is at full load and Notebooks generally has weaker cooling.

Edited by Zubasa

Super Tester
1,177 posts
4,099 battles

Before any gets too worried.

The OP is using an Asus Notebook with GTX660M graphics.

81C may seems quite hot, but it shouldn't be hot enough to damage the GPU.

Considering the GPU is at full load and Notebooks generally has weaker cooling.

If I recall correctly, the instruction manual suggests that I should get worried beyond 80 degrees. :^)

As for cooling, the G75 series has better dedicated heat sinks compared to most notebooks on the market which means that the airflow shouldn't be any problem, so my primary suspicion is that the thermal paste needs a replacement.

I've read some tutorials online for replacing the thermal paste on the Asus G75VW for the graphics card and CPU, and it seems quite easy. According to one guy at the Notebookreview.com forums, he got a ~5 degree decrease in GPU temp and ~12 degree decrease in CPU temp after disassembling his G75 and applying Arctic Silver 5 High-Density thermal paste, which seems really worth it.

I might actually look into doing this.

Edited by benlisquare

Beta Tester
301 posts
113 battles

Did tests using my configurations which basically maxes out ship textures (to make ships look good) and effects (to help me see fall of shot better) at the expense of basically everything else. So no post processing and shadows for me. Also runs at 1366x768 which is monitor's native resolution. The only reason I was able to run it at 1080 the first test was because AMD Catalyst Control allows me to "force" the card to set max resolutions for the desktop.

I got this during battle:

R1UHL8F.jpg

And this during Port:

ZHBw6M7.jpg

You can kinda see the tail end of the in-game temp right at the left side there. It's uh... a very chill 0030 when I did the test here, so I guess my room temp to be around 30 degrees or so, which might account for the drop from 63-64 to 60 degrees max temp, but you can see there isn't much difference regarding in-port and in-battle temps for me.

With laptop being a problem, I've noticed that playing on my friend's G750 (with a GTX 765M) makes it spew real warm air from the heatsink. Also he's told me that at times his computer would warn of CPU/GPU reaching critical temp while idling at port. So this may be an NVidia card problem? Still, this is just one comparison from a very old ATI card. More recent R-series AMD cards with higher "thinking capacity" might have the same trend as yours.