Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
EvyL

the USS Lexington (CC-1)

8 comments in this topic

Super Tester
1,677 posts

I speak of her as a battlecruiser and not as a carrier. deal with it.

correct me if I derp somewhere plis.

a9o4yv.jpg

lookit dis! THIS was a nice looking bottlekrooza! it would have been the first battlecruiser the US ever made since they also wub their dreads and the Brits love their battlecruisers as much (but seriously, dafuq are they messing with their workhorse ships? their DD's IMHO look strange yet effective and there's the notion of the sketchy "borrowing" thing where they 'gave' the ANZ guys some sheeps but technically owned them. dafuq)

random babble aside, initially, I didn't think Lady Lex was a freakin battlecruiser intended to match and chase any fast vessel the Japanese had when they learned Kongo and her three sisters were to be retrofitted and reformatted to fast battleships as they were at the time battlecruisers because of the whole intentions of Japan at the time had the US glaring at them at APAC on the whole "bro, APAC is large. it would be a shame if you... lost your dominance here, now wouldn't it?". the solution? build moar bottlesheeps well as much as they could, a gigantic capital ship gimping was in effect in the form of the Washington Naval Treaty that virtually nerfed the signatories there to prevent a huge ass arms race. the whole bit on this freaky nerf for whose offensive armament are big guns? well:

• tonnage should be below and must not go over 40k
  • maximum dakka installed is 16 inch guns
  • anything not a capital ship will have the 10k tonne as its weight and dakka shouldn't go beyond 8 inches (I forgot the clauses for this but it was certain Mogami was an... anomaly for this because they tried to cram a lot of hax on her while still adhering to the nerf because "its okay so long as we don't breach the limits, amirite?" and the result was a very wonky but still seaworthy cruiser)

to be fair, this was pre-Second London Treaty where some 'tweaks' were added if anything went balls-to-the-wall since the first London Treaty was to nerf subs from turning into even more trolls of the sea. battlecruisers were quite acceptable to the capital ship nerf because it wasn't a full-on battleship. lolwat.

2e4g384.jpg

before she went full carrier though, she had an impressive plan for her bit although she was kinda 25% when she was still in the slipway before reformatting. had she continued to be a battlecruiser, she would have became the first technical treaty battleship when she gets her inevitable retrofit that reformats her to fast battleship. she had an initial plan of eight 14 inch guns but later wanted to upgun her with 16 inch guns because she needed to blast everything that looked at her funny, a secondary battery of fourteen 5 inch guns, a small AA suite of eight 76mm pop guns and several 21 inch tubes for her offense. her belt armor was at 7 inches which hopefully protected it against cruisers and enabled her to run at a projected 33 knots and her deck was nearly 3 inches which IMHO will not protect her that much against deck bombs. if you want the ultimate trolling of a ship using bombs, then I think the Tirpitz should know about that when she was under the whacking of Avro Lancasters packing Tallboy bombs (for those that don't know, a Tallboy was a quake bomb where it was dropped at such a height in which gravity did its thing, accelerated its fall, it doesn't make that much of a crater when it impacts but goes boom deep below which made it perfect for hardened targets like sub pens, bunkers or viaducts. it was so big that only the British Avro Lancaster could lug it around and drop it and they dropped those things on the Tirpitz. cue evil laugh. oh did I forget there's an even bigger variant of the Tallboy called the Grand Slam?)

2n0ljep.jpg

she looked very strange at her initial thought since as you look at the pic... she looks like an oversized Wickes destroyer. her 1919 plans looked better and as she was still building when the conference at Washington was nearly over, they decided to stop building her as a battlecruiser and start converting her to a huge ass carrier. she would have been quite an interesting sight since some of her designs were influenced by the Hood of the Admiral class and the very ships they were supposed to have a slugfest with when things go south, the Kongo.

23tfsi.jpg

I am not remotely sure if they did have design studies on the Lexington as a battlecruiser like other ships such as the Alaska cruiser having feasibility studies that one of them had the designation CA-2D which is informally known atm as "Super Alaska" which is rumored to trade her 12 inch guns with 15 inch and improved armor or the Montana for that matter which was also a planned project that had the BB-65-2 and no I don't mean the Iowa Illinois as its design study... but this pic can probably be a reasonable retrofit and reformat for the Lexington as a fast battleship had she not turned into a carrier.

in-game wise, I think she'll be alongside her CV colleague at tier 8 but having two Lexingtons in-game will be problematic so the Lexington CC will have a new name with one of her sisters because Lady Lex as a CV must still be a CV and Saratoga in her place wont do justice. stat wise, she'll be basically Amagi's counterpart for a second line without an additional turret since North Carolina is solid at their tier and most of the popular cap. to put her in there, the Super Alaska might be inserted at tier 7, it as tier 8 and at the moment, it merges back to the Iowa because SoDak, as much as I wish for it to be there, can never be alongside the Iowa even if she is the most solid treaty battleship there was. she'll probably unload faster like about 25 seconds at most to complement her being virtually killable by every capital ship speculation wise.

derp.exe has stopped functioning.

that is all.

HUEHUEHUEHUE

Edited by EvyL

Beta Tester
11 posts
576 battles

If Wargaming get around to introducing her, they could give her the name of one of the projected sister ships like Constellation or Constitution.  Would be great to see.

Super Tester
1,677 posts

Potential Premium Ship though (or another BB tree line) as Saratoga

that or use Constitution as the ship for the Lexington CC.

Super Tester
1,677 posts

These threads are so good that EvyL has made capitalization, punctuation and grammar completely obsolete.

Great stuff. 

I'm not sure if that's sarcasm because I am a derp XD

but thanks. I tend to deviate from normal while keeping the lulz and proper stuff in solid bits.

Sign in to follow this