You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AALG

Gamescom travel-log, Cologne, Germany Aug 6'th to Aug 9'th

20 comments in this topic

[PANZA]
Senior Moderator
820 posts
932 battles

I will be going to Gamescom and will report from Gamescom and especially the WG area with pics and possible video. Will be going to this as well : 

ano32b.jpg

Although won't be reporting from that - To busy dancing, drinking and meeting old friends from the WG staff across 3 regional servers.

[PANZA]
Senior Moderator
820 posts
932 battles

Thursday 06 August 2015
07:00 AM CEST - Damn alarmclock beeping like hell.. Wife nagging me to get up. Why oh why do I know my self so well that I place the alarmclock on the commode across the room instead of my bedtable....

Ah well, at least I am getting up this early to get going to Gamescom, and finally meeting up with friends I've made across 3 servers.

And so it begins, AALG's travellog to Gamescom 2015. Will keep you updated during the day, pics and videos included.

09:06 AM CEST Catching the train to the airport from our summerresidence in the north, on a clear sunny 28 C forecasted morning. Thank god I remembered the best damn baseballcap I have ever owned. Only fitting that I brought that along on a trip where I get to meet Chris Keeling, since it was sent to me by H_87A_2CU, while he was serving in Afghanistan with the Australian Air Component. Been my cover during 2 bouts of hairlosses, and hardly ever left my head when I ventured outdoors in those days.

2dlu0xl.jpg

"Selfie" waiting for the train to pull in and bring me to the airport.

10:40 AM CEST Waiting at the gate in Copenhagen airport for my Air Berlin flight to Berlin Tegel flughafen, and onwards from there to Köln/Bonn flughafen. Must admit I really look forward to this trip, not so much for Gamescom, but mainly to finally get to meet some of the people from Wargaming I have communicated with the last 5 years, in Minsk, Paris, the USA, Tokyo, and Cyprus.

2a9pe1e.jpg

View to the Air Berlin B737-700 plane at Gate A 32 in Copenhagen Airport.

12:10 PM CEST Arrived in Berlin, walking 1 km from the international terminal to the domestic terminal in 32 C temps, had me sweating like a Pz 1 C player suddenly realizing he cant pen a Pz II ausf J even from the rear... Security check again (and guys, be smart when you travel in the EU.. Make sure you havent buried your laptop at the bottom of the suitcase... Since all electronics equipment needs to be xrayed seperately), then arrival at Köln/Bonn airport and catching the train into the centralstation.

2r7my3q.jpg

Security check entering the domestic departure area.

2lkd7xw.jpg

Airport trainstation with glassroof and no airconditioning - 32 C high sunshine.. I lost about 1 liter fluids just wating the 10 minutes on the train to the central station. 

03:10 PM CEST Arrived at the Köln Hauptbahnhof, passing the Kölnmesse area where Gamescom is held on the way. Impressive sight as soon as you step out of the central station - The Köln Dom church..... Since my hotel was located just 5 minutes walk away, it was nice to know I could use that impressive building with its two imposing towers as a fixpoint for navigation where ever I might be in town ;)

Check in, a quick shower and change of shirt, then off to Gamescom.

20ro1o6.jpg

Impressive sight just when coming out of the Centralstation.

04:20 PM CEST Arrived at Gamescom, big crowds at the different entrances, although mid week and normal working day and hours here in Germany.
Heading in to see the WG booth in the Entertaintment area, and hook up with Vadim from Minsk, the person responsible for integration between the Asia WoWS server and the staff in Minsk + the developers in St. Petersburg. He was also the temporary Producer for WoWS Asia, while the hunt for a permanent producer in the Tokyo office was underway. The official WG Asia Skype chat for Alpha and Closed beta, was named in his honor, when Open Beta began, to "Cult of Vadim ;)

104n4au.jpg

Entrance to the Gamescom halls, for those needing to buy day tickets at arrival.

04:30 PM to 05:30 PM CEST Trekking through the halls from Hall 1, to Hall 8 where the WG booth is, takes some time.. Lots of stuff to look at, but no time. A couple of pictures along the route follows...

259wys4.jpg

Ticket in hand, Yeahaaa...

2hfrqtv.jpg

Allready at Hall 1, you get to see that WG is at Gamescom - And there is a long way to walk to get to Hall 8....

5168i8.jpg

Edited by AALG

[PANZA]
Senior Moderator
820 posts
932 battles

05:20 PM CEST  Arriving at Hall 8 and the WG section, where lots of people are queuing up to try the different games on display : World of Tanks, World of Warships, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks Generals. I think there are Blitz and Xbox versions as well, that people can try, but alas, the WG area is very crowded and its not possible to get in and see it, without standing in line for longer time, than I have before my appointment in the B2B area. 

But I got the chance to say hi to an old mate from the EU server, whom I actually trained as a moderator, and who later was employed by WG EU - Tuccy, was great to finally see you in person, even though you were busier than a onelegged man in a buttkicking contest. 

Some pics and a small video follows, from the WG stand and the giveaways they did there :

iwqhq0.jpg

despp0.jpgauv891.jpg

Queuing up for hands on playing - And you guys complain about the queue times on the server LMAO....

Short videos of the Giveaways done at the WG booth with regular intervals. Crowds were wild... Tom Jones concert style wild..... Heck, would not have been surprised if there were panties and bras thrown up on the scene ;)

05:25 AM CEST Having gotten hold of Vadim, we managed to meet up at the WG entertaintment booth, but with all the noise and people there, it was almost impossible to have any kind of conversation - Heading outside to the courtyard between Hall 8 and 9, and getting something to drink, a selfie had to be taken offcourse :
Spoiler

157j7s3.jpg

Vadim (IGN KaZanova) and AALG with their usual facial expressions - Vadim smiling because he loves the community, and AALG frowning, because he has been a moderator for 5+ years and still loves the community....

05:40 PM CEST - Time to trek back to Hall 2 and the WG B2B lounge, for my appointment at 06:30 PM CEST with the most awesome (IMHO) guy in Wargaming employment - a former soldier, current cool dude and Director of Product Vision Chris Keeling. A person I am proud to call a friend, and a person who have been there for me and my family with his empathy, friendship and amazing heart, during some pretty rough times when things looked the bleakest with my cancer.

You bet ya, I ain't going to be late to that appointment, even with 6 halls of crazed gamers to move through.

ajw0n4.jpg

Heading back.. and there are 6 more halls with the same amount of crowds to move through.... *sigh*

06:15 PM CEST  Finally arriving at Hall 2.2, and the WG B2B area... Little less crowded in that hall, since the normal Gamescom tickets dont allow you in to that section - You need a trade ticket, or an invitation from an exhibitor with a stand in the B2B area. None of which I have. But I am a WoT/WoWS gamer - So I am important enough (in my own mind), to be able to bypass those criteria and head into the unknown B2B territory, for the greater good of the community... And if that fails, I have Chris's telephone number, and Vadim on skype... ;)

23kfbiw.jpg

As you can see there are different counters, for different kind of appointments, alas none for "Shaking hands of old friends"... 

It turned out that Chris and Viktor was still giving interviews, so after entering the B2B lounge, I could take a well deserved rest (At least I felt I deserved it), and dump my tired body in the soft leather sofas filling the lounge. Much to my surprise, I discovered that I had sat my self down next to Vadim, who also had gotten back, and even held one meeting, during the time it had taken me to trek back. 
And I must admit, chilling with him in the sofa was quite relaxing :

2cp87d5.jpg

Now tell me again... How was it you enabled the selftimer on an iPad ??

fax93m.jpg
Switching facial expressions, and chilling.... Life is good.  Yes we still love the community... :honoring:

06:45 PM CEST Chris and Viktors interview is finally over, and its time to use the WG Challenge coin that Chris sent me way back. Challenge coins are a military tradition, which Chris also have introduced to WG. (read about Challenge coins on wikipedia, they explain the concept pretty well there). Alas, the first thing he said to me was, "Hey, the bar is free of charge, so I didnt bring my coin..." 

I had brought some gifts which I then proceeded to give to Chris, and to Viktor. I also had a special gift for Viktor, which I gave him on behalf of myself, and the rest of the Asia server community - Now you may wonder what do you give a guy, who have enough money to get whatever he might want, when he wants it ?
Well, the answer is simple - More money - with a twist.. His face when I said "I have 1 Million in german currency for you", was worth the whole trip...
I gave Viktor a mint condition german Reichsbank note for 1 Million Mark, issued in
1923, to ensure "that he would allways be a millionaire when in Germany." as I so nicely (if I may say so myself) phrased it.
This brought a great smile to his face, and it was immediately handed over to his P.A. with strict orders of getting it framed.

a3tad.jpg

Yep.. 1.000.000 in german currency... Worth about 30 € in todays money - IF in mint condition.

2ngsqaf.jpg

"Rubbing shoulders with the brass" ;)

Edited by AALG

[PANZA]
Senior Moderator
820 posts
932 battles

Will you treat us drinks?

Free bar at that afterparty... I'll need an extra kidney and an extra liver, if I have to drink just one beer with all those who want to say hi to me there... 
Edited by AALG

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

Free bar at that afterparty... I'll need an extra kidney and an extra liver, if I have to drink just one beer with all those who want to say hi to me there... 

(see's lineup of previously banned players outside bar waiting....)

[CLAY]
Alpha Tester
943 posts
5,630 battles

You can have my right kidney.....that bloody thing makes kidney stone on a regular basis, you love peeing out sharp bits of crystals  :great:

[PANZA]
Senior Moderator
820 posts
932 battles

And so it begins. Updated 08:18 CEST 06 August.

(I wonder if Big Boss Victor/ SerB is there....

Viktor Kisliy is there, have an appointment with him and Chris Keeling and some liquid distilled potatoes around 9-10 PM at the afterparty ;)

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

Google is love, Google is life

So I googled "Liquid Distilled Potatoes" as I don't drink:

uPZJmcT.png

Oh. No wonder :D

Edited by Alvin1020

[PANZA]
Senior Moderator
820 posts
932 battles

Updated, enroute. Currently boarding, next update upon arrival Berlin.

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

Brilliant - I love it!

So if Storm is the Angel and SerB is the Devil - KZ must be the Angel and AALG is the Devil :D

(The faces makes it suit even more :P)

Edited by Alvin1020

1 post

AALG is (for a change) way too modest - HE was the rockstar at our meetings! Victor even asked for an email from him! GamesCom is too busy of a place to meet - I could have spent the whole time with AALG with pleasure - but unfortunately I had to work.

...and even Victor does not have his own medal named after him!   :trollface: