Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Tewaka

Just Wondered.....

4 comments in this topic

26 posts
1,524 battles

How on Earth did someone come up with BB = Battleship and DD = Destroyer?  I only ask coz I would never associate something like BB to = Battleship in any game, it doesn't even make sense, BS would be more suitable...

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

How on Earth did someone come up with BB = Battleship and DD = Destroyer?  I only ask coz I would never associate something like BB to = Battleship in any game, it doesn't even make sense, BS would be more suitable...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hull_classification_symbol

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Ask the US Navy. This is how they've been referring to battleships since the 1920s...

Super Tester
1,177 posts
4,099 battles

The US Navy came up with those abbreviations. Originally battleships were "B", but when they needed a classification for post-Dreadnaught battleships, they decided to double up and use "BB".

I also read somewhere that top Navy brass were very insistent not to use "BS", given the snarky personnel that exist within the US Navy. If you weren't aware, "BS" is a common euphemism for "bulls**t".

Edited by benlisquare

Sign in to follow this