Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
WindCruiser

Match making tier range ?

18 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
682 posts
4,757 battles

How's Tier range for matchmaking to pick player into the match ? should it be +-2 like in wot ?
it feel like +-3 in this game since somany match i find myself in the match with 3 tier higher-lower 
like i'm in Myogi and I found myself in samematch with Hiryu, Isokaze with Pensacola, Cleveland with Iowa or Kawachi
without me or them being in platoon
.... I know it may happen when they got not enough player since it happen more with higher tier ... I just got cleveland, play for about 10 match and I find myself againts Iowa for 4 match and 2 with tier3 match ....

and what I notice that it almost no waiting time to get in the match, when Click Battle button, it bring me to the match instantly ... so if they got not enough player in that tier maybe just make us wait a bit for player with same tier to appear than bring me or some other tier into the match .... or just go with not full slot match like when sometime in WoT that it just make the 6v6 match. 
....  or it that the game MM in this game is +-3 different from  WoT ??

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

How's Tier range for matchmaking to pick player into the match ? should it be +-2 like in wot ?

it feel like +-3 in this game since somany match i find myself in the match with 3 tier higher-lower 

like i'm in Myogi and I found myself in samematch with Hiryu, Isokaze with Pensacola, Cleveland with Iowa or Kawachi

without me or them being in platoon

.... I know it may happen when they got not enough player since it happen more with higher tier ... I just got cleveland, play for about 10 match and I find myself againts Iowa for 4 match and 2 with tier3 match ....

and what I notice that it almost no waiting time to get in the match, when Click Battle button, it bring me to the match instantly ... so if they got not enough player in that tier maybe just make us wait a bit for player with same tier to appear than bring me or some other tier into the match .... or just go with not full slot match like when sometime in WoT that it just make the 6v6 match. 

....  or it that the game MM in this game is +-3 different from  WoT ??

You must be playing Battleship, or tier6+ Cruiser.

http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/18094-matchmaker/

Greetings Captains,

there are a lot of questions about the Matchmaker (MM) and many of the new captains are surprised when they get into high tier battle with their low tier ship. The battle's tier is characteristic that shows the minimal and maximal tier of the enemy ships if they are not in division. The MM is different for each class, but it's possible to set it for each individual ship and there are some with special MM.

For now it's random in which battle you will get (as top tier or as lowest tier) it simply depends which battle tier will be filled first. There are plans to limit the amount of battles where you can end up as the lowest tier and after few such battles in a row the MM will let you wait for battle where you will be top tier.

Battleships

Ship's tier \ Battle's tier I II III IV V VI VII VIII IX X
I                         
II                    
III            
IV            
V            
VI            
VII            
VIII              
IX                
X                  

Cruisers

I                
II                
III              
IV              
V              
VI            
VII            
VIII              
IX                
X                  

Destroyers

I                    
II                
III              
IV              
V              
VI            
VII            
VIII              
IX                
X                  

Aircraft carriers

I                    
II                    
III                    
IV                
V                
VI              
VII              
VIII              
IX                
X                  

Exceptions:

Iwaki Alpha(IV): 4-5

Yubari (IV): 4-5

Atlanta (VII): 7-9

Arkansas Beta (IV): 4-6

Ishizuchi (IV) - 4-5

Alpha Tester
523 posts
217 battles

You get the odd fail down as low as tier 4, the MM populations spread isnt as even as WoTs yet, thhere arent enough tier 6+ ships available currently for MM to work properly at those tiers. Give it a few months, and it wont be a problem, but for now its going to be a bit janky,

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

You get the odd fail down as low as tier 4, the MM populations spread isnt as even as WoTs yet, thhere arent enough tier 6+ ships available currently for MM to work properly at those tiers. Give it a few months, and it wont be a problem, but for now its going to be a bit janky,

Sigh. Never EVER excuse rotten MM with playing population.

Population is an INPUT an appropriate MM needs to work with. If the current one can't do that it's because the current one is poorly designed.

Simple as that. WG tried that same worthless argument to excuse their rotten MM in WoT for YEARS.

Hell, I wrote a piece based on all the things I'd observed and learned about over the years to sum up what an ideal MM would do.

It was 'archived' with everything else. 'Archived' is a quaint term that means 'threw out so we can't find it despite claiming we're looking' that applies to a whole lot of useful posts.

As for me? I can't remember the last time I was top tier while grinding up through tier 3. It's wall to wall tier 5 battles.

I'm already so sick of it I play a battle or two then quit.

I'm sure WG couldn't give a [redacted] but after seeing their behaviour over the last 5 years I'm not wasting my time or money on this title. The fact there are those who can't play due to a de-synch issue that started with 0.3.1.3, was raised with support (who said "there is no support: go write something in the bug thread") and then in the bug thread which was similarly 'archived' and thus has not been addressed, nor even acknowledged, tells me everything I need to know about how much WG has learned from the last 5 years and improved.

Which is to say they've learned gamers generally are idiots who'll pay for anything without complaining, and thus WG hasn't improved in their treatment of customers (some of whom are already paying customers) at all.

Alpha Tester
523 posts
217 battles

FFS Steel...

The population shape has been skewed by the reset, its not unsurprising that MM has struggled a bit when dealing with small numbers of tier 7+ online. Just means that BBs tend to wind up being pulled up tiers more frequently then theyd like. Its not like its delivering broken one sided matches, so it really isnt worth writing that many words on.

If you want to rant at someone about WGs MM policy then go find someone who actually wants to hear it, Im as sick to death of the topic as you claim to be, Im just willing to cut them some slack where unusual circumstances are concerned.

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

To be honest the tier splits in this game are not exactly huge, a cheatland can fight a baltiworst no worries it is a fairly even fight, it is only really the tier 10 ships that are noticeable upgrades unless you start comparing ships that are 3-4 tiers apart, so i really do not see a problem with ships seeing higher tiers, heck you get a lot more experience for shooting at high tier ships. 

Edited by Fear_the_Reaper

Super Tester
1,397 posts
13,408 battles

To be honest the tier splits in this game are not exactly huge, a cheatland can fight a baltiworst no worries it is a fairly even fight, it is only really the tier 10 ships that are noticeable upgrades unless you start comparing ships that are 3-4 tiers apart, so i really do not see a problem with ships seeing higher tiers, heck you get a lot more experience for shooting at high tier ships. 

Comparing two cheat cruiser is certainly fine.

how about BB and CV.

Definitely stronger planes on CV,

Atleast 1 km further they can shoot and with fairly stronger amour.

In some case they have better guns.

Edited by R3negade

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

FFS Steel...

The population shape has been skewed by the reset, its not unsurprising that MM has struggled a bit when dealing with small numbers of tier 7+ online. Just means that BBs tend to wind up being pulled up tiers more frequently then theyd like. Its not like its delivering broken one sided matches, so it really isnt worth writing that many words on.

If you want to rant at someone about WGs MM policy then go find someone who actually wants to hear it, Im as sick to death of the topic as you claim to be, Im just willing to cut them some slack where unusual circumstances are concerned.

Nice assumptions.

I'm playing tier 3. And only one of them a BB (I did try the Ark Beta; LOL, not for long). And almost  never top tier regardless; you should see my St Louis stats, even though it has a ton of guns.

What's more, shouldn't a reset skew the pop towards LOW tiers? Or are you saying everone's gone grinding past low tiers?

But none of this matters. Competent MM that met the requirements I put forward in the post they binned, sorry archived, would produce quality matches for every player regardless of pop shape (unless we're speaking of 100 people on line, and even then had they adopted the bits I added about bots it would STILL produce quality matches).

So, no, I'm not interested in 'cutting them slack' because god knows they've been slack for 5 years; they don't need any more, nor deserve it.

Edited by Steeltrap

Alpha Tester
523 posts
217 battles

I cant really be bothered being drawn on this Steel. Suffice to say the only class that is suffering under the boats MM is BBs, and only at low tier because WG didnt realise that they are all useless and gave them +3 MM anyway. Given that tier 5 and 6 are where the grinds take more than 10 battles to complete, those tiers are probably going to be more heavily loaded with players compared to the rest of the server, which is likely going to cause tier 3 and 4 ships to be bottom tier with unusual frequency and give BB players a massive headache.

To be honest, playing at tier 4 and 5 Ive scarcely noticed any MM problems. The matches are balanced, I have no real issues with where I fall on the tier distribution because unlike tanks, bottom tier does not mean useless in boats. The only time Im unhappy about being bottom tier is when I try play the Myogi, and Im unhappy in that ship even at top tier because its completely shit and needs a rebalance. 

When the threads regarding MM imbalance messing up matches surface, then I'll start waving the pitchforks again, but for now my pitchfork arm is tired, and the MM is working well enough that I dont rate it as a problem.

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

Well I'm glad you're doing better from it than I am, Karl. And no that's not sarcastic.

But I'm looking at it from "OK, WG, what have you learned from WoT?" perspective and the answer to that is nothing positive other than the cap on CVs.

[151ST]
In-Training Moderator
95 posts
4,643 battles

FFS Steel...

Agreed. Complaining about the same thing on almost every thread gets a bit tired, and I lose a little interest in the poster on other topics. :-)  Been playing WoT for many many years, and WoWS since alpha. MM annoys me sometimes. I've said stuff about it. And now I've moved on :-)
Edited by Noppers

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

Agreed. Complaining about the same thing on almost every thread gets a bit tired, and I lose a little interest in the poster on other topics. :-)  Been playing WoT for many many years, and WoWS since alpha. MM annoys me sometimes. I've said stuff about it. And now I've moved on :-)

Which is what they rely on.

Played 5 tier 3 battles yesterday. Every one of them was v tier 5 with only 1-3 tier 3s involved.

Moved to tier 4. Yup, 2 tier 6 battles.

Number on-line? Between 10-15k.

Having copied and pasted MM from WoT, this MM exhibits exactly the same flaws v potential excellence. Preventable? Yes. Will it be? No, because WG relies on people putting up with it.

But you're correct. They won't listen anyway. The only difference is this time I won't spend a dime, but they don't care about that, either.

Cheers

Alpha Tester
982 posts

I had the exact opposite thing happen last week. Was smashing everything in sight then joined a division and it all went to hell in a hand basket lol.

Beta Tester
682 posts
4,757 battles

for some ship ... but even I'm in Cheatland go against Iowa .... Fire HE shell at almost dead Iowa 20+ hit, lots of critical ... 0 fire, 0HP lost ... Whaaaattttttt

[151ST]
In-Training Moderator
95 posts
4,643 battles

Which is what they rely on.

Played 5 tier 3 battles yesterday. Every one of them was v tier 5 with only 1-3 tier 3s involved.

Moved to tier 4. Yup, 2 tier 6 battles.

Number on-line? Between 10-15k.

Having copied and pasted MM from WoT, this MM exhibits exactly the same flaws v potential excellence. Preventable? Yes. Will it be? No, because WG relies on people putting up with it.

But you're correct. They won't listen anyway. The only difference is this time I won't spend a dime, but they don't care about that, either.

Cheers

Sorry Steel, I think you missed a bit of my point. Your frustration with MM is understandable - it bugs me sometimes too, and I am not afraid to let folks know. But, like Karl0ssus1, hearing you rant about MM in the majority of your posts is just getting to be a bit old. I like to think that I give due credit to each person's opinion and each post, but I'm finding myself glossing over what you write because the repetitiveness about MM is becoming boring. If you want to get your message across, I just thought you should know that you may be losing your audience a bit? Just something to consider anyway. :-)

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

^

Fair enough, thanks for the elaboration.

Sadly I've learned certain habits from working in change management, and one of them is to 'play the stuck record'. It works in a professional environment, but I agree probably doesn't make for as much fun in the forum, lol.

Besides, not as though WG listens. Indeed I'm not sure why I even bothered doing a write up of MM principles back in Alpha. Oh, well, it was safely 'archived' like everything else.

I'll have to remember to use that at work. "Sorry, I'm sure I read your e-mail at some time but I think it's been archived".

Sign in to follow this