Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ShiraYukira

Hosho Against Langley

13 comments in this topic

496 posts
4,169 battles

I'm Having trouble fighting against Langley in most of my games because the Langley have 6 fighters and Hosho only have 4 fighters in the squadron. any ideas how to win against that?

Also in a situation where there isn't any friendly ships around.

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

The Best Current Meta is to Kill the Langley First.

Get your two Torpedo Bomber squadron sneak around at the edge of the map and find the Langley while your fighters lure his fighter as far out as he can to buy time for your attack.

You only need 4-5 Hits to kill him (Fully upgraded) - which is easily do-able even with the Manual spread. Then you can fight completely un-opposed afterwards.

Beta Tester
682 posts
4,757 battles

Well, IJN fighter not suppose to fight 1 on 1 with USN fighter in the first place ...you should lure them to your fleet and get help from ally AA ... just don't engage directly

I think IJN fighter is there only to protect your bombers ..... if there enemy fighter chase your bombers then you can order your fighter to engage ... it will slow enemy fighter down and let your bomber escape or go to drop bomb/torp on your target .... your may lost your fighter but if the bomber hit then i think it a good trade ...

Alpha Tester
1,063 posts
509 battles

Do note that the sneaking your planes outside the border "abuse" will be gone sooner or later, so I suggest make use of your team mates.

2 posts
901 battles

There are a few tricks you can use:

Your fighters are faster, if he's actively trying to engage you with his fighters, lead him over your AA ships (Omaha, Kongo, Myogi, New York, Wyoming, other CV at this tier) and have the friendly AA shoot at them a while first.  Then engage them over the friendly ship.  It also helps if you can drag a scout plane from one of the ships into the fight.

Get him to engage your TB squadron first, then attack his fighters with yours.  The DPS of planes at this level is pretty low, so your TB can live for a while under attack.  As long as the langley doesn't refocus on your fighters, you can bring them down.

One of the worst situations to be in is by yourself, with the langley's fighters hanging around you.  You can't launch and recover planes since the fighters can kill everything you put up or try to recover.  They'll run out of ammo eventually, but you don't have a lot of airframes to spare.  This is one of the better plays the langley can make, so use your speed to stay closer to your friends, and hope their minor AA will help out.  If desperate, and you have the upgraded hull, you can engage his fighters right over your carrier.  select your carrier and click on his fighter group to focus fire on them, then fight in your AA bubble.

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

Get him to engage your TB squadron first, then attack his fighters with yours.  The DPS of planes at this level is pretty low, so your TB can live for a while under attack.  As long as the langley doesn't refocus on your fighters, you can bring them down.

I'd oppose this idea. Instead of using your precious TB, just sneak them around the map somewhere the enemy Carrier won't expect them to appear from.

Low-tier Carriers have small hangar capacity, you don't want to lose any of your plane especially those Bombers.

DPS is low but plane health is also low, only at tier6 would that low DPS problem became apparent. At tier4 they are still rather devastating.

Do note that the sneaking your planes outside the border "abuse" will be gone sooner or later, so I suggest make use of your team mates.

Maybe I should try that trick out sometimes, although it's too much effort doing so because normal sneaking around is already effective enough against those inexperienced captains :hiding:

Alpha Tester
372 posts
715 battles

Look IJN fighters is only Good at protecting your dive and torp squadron and also your own ship cuz the fighter squadron can't really do anything besides this 2 haha well this is a IJN CV you are talking about you can't really achieve air supremacy ya know the fighters are very good of buying USN fighters while you lead your torp and dive to engage your enemy haha sometimes I really dislike my hosho to encounter the enemy Langley well can't help it ^^

930 posts

A few tips

1) Lure Langley's fighters to an allied ship preferably somebody with a catapult fighter or really high AA like Myogi (If you can, lure Langley's fighters on your ship), then do the dogfight above them. 

2) Have a Kuma or somebody with catapult fighter for your attack planes to retreat on when your own fighter group is busy somewhere.

3) Japanese attack planes are faster. So when doing an attack run, choose a target that is nearer to you, or the farthest from the enemy fighter group.

4) If you really, absolutely, positively have to do it, use your bombers and have the enemy fighters engage them. Then engage them with your fighter group and pray that they are still alive by the time the enemy fighters melt.

5) Get Dog Fighting Expert perk :trollface:

Beta Tester
30 posts
3,419 battles

As Alvin1020 described it is currently the best way to deal with it but taking your ship near other cruisers may not be the best plan because getting spoted will be an issue and low teir cruisers don't excatly have a good AA capability.

Otherwise just time out your attacks on ships which are closest to you own ship and look at their fighters going for a reload.

By the way your IGN CV's need necessary nerfing lol.

Sign in to follow this