Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Lawiez

Japanese DDs tier 6 feels a little underpowered

18 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Member
37 posts
3,443 battles

I absolutely loved the tier 5 minekaze with the awesome 10km torpedoes, Even with the horrible gun traverse, the ship was super enjoyable to play at that tier. 

 

However, the tier 6 ship feels like a downgrade for some reason. The long reload time, and slightly lower top speed really doesn't make it feel a tier higher.

 

When i see an american DD in close range, i will pray that they can't shoot... which never happens. it is a 90% chance to lose the fight, and a 10% chance to double KO. It makes rushing for the cap a super risky strategy.

 

Perhaps the way to play this would be to stay a little further away from spotting range and launch torpedoes, but the long reload and low probability of a hit (usually only BBs in zoom mode travelling in a straight line at constant speed) really hurts the EXP gained in battle compared to its US counterpart. 

 

Does anyone else feel this? I feel that a slight buff to the torpedo reload time, or maybe a slight buff to the super slow gun traverse would make this ship much more playable and enjoyable. 

 

Edit: I realized i haven't unlocked the final gun yet, which does buff the traverse, let me try it out first, perhaps my opinion will change after lol

Edited by Lawiez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[POI]
Super Tester
350 posts
3,601 battles

Yea, 

 

Back in CBT when I had my Mutsuki, she was a challenge to use but still could perform.

 

In her stock form its hard to play the stealth DD that most IJN DD can. Her Torps max distance is same as Mutsuki's concealment distance forcing you to get the 10km torps that are slower

When she goes through the other 2 hulls, she becomes more AA based gaining more 25mm AA guns and losing one main gun.

 

Soo I use her more like a American DD, supporting bigger ships early and mid game with you AA you have 

then late game you do the normal IJN DD thing

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

When she goes through the other 2 hulls, she becomes more AA based gaining more 25mm AA guns and losing one main gun.

She actually loses 2 of her 4 guns in her last hull for more AA.

I think the recent patch buffed the RoF of the last gun (2 Gun) to match it with the 4 Gun setup.

 

But moving from the Minekaze to the Mutsuki takes some getting used to, now you can't just YOLO spam torp, you have to plan your attack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[POI]
Super Tester
350 posts
3,601 battles

She actually loses 2 of her 4 guns in her last hull for more AA.

 

Thank you for the correction I forgot if it was 1 or 2 thank you

 

 

But moving from the Minekaze to the Mutsuki takes some getting used to, now you can't just YOLO spam torp, you have to plan your attack.

 

Another thing I forgot.   Minekaze's torps are 53cm ones and reload pretty quickly 

but Mutsuki's torps move up to the famous 61cm torps the IJN are know for and they reload a lot slower. So you can't spam them like the previous tier (2-5). This trains you for higher tiers torps (7-10)

Edited by Juan_23

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[1NATN]
Beta Tester
192 posts
11,232 battles

Sounds like you've worked it out already, the play style of the Mutsuki is what you'll need for the higher tier Japanese DD's, no more torp spam.

Play it safe in the Mutsuki, run escort for your BB's and cruisers, conserve your smoke and boost because you'll need it to get away when spotted, use the islands to your advantage when closing the range for a torp attack and avoid any gun duels unless your victim is nearly finished or looking the other way and try not to fire all your torps in one go or....spend a whole lot of gold like I did to free xp past the damn thing.

The Japanese DD's do get better, I loved the Fubuki and Kagero in CBT but wasn't all that impressed with the Shimikaze although it'll do 40 knots without boost and it's guns are decent if you can eventually get them on target.

Good luck and happy hunting. :honoring:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
404 posts
1,148 battles

http://maplesyrup.sweet.coocan.jp/wows/ranking/20150719/statistics.html#class_exp

look at Mutsuki's stats and you'll know

It's crap

 

if you still want to grind, don't upgrade the hull to keep your guns

make good use of it to get some exp and money

don't trust your torpedo, treat them as secondary weapon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

 

 

No the Last Hull is decent enough to use now. Good AA, Great ROF.

 

As for Torpedoes - They are usable - You have to remember your USN Neighbor Farragut is a pile of rubbish.

Edited by Alvin1020

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
682 posts
4,757 battles

I think both tier 6 DD are kind of worst in it line (from my experince in CBT, bot reach there yet in OBT) ... but it not that bad that u can't play it ... just little harder too play compare to other DD in the line

 

for the hull of IJN DD , I prefer AA than Main gun, since i didn't really use main gun a lots and i want to take down the spotting plane quickly as possible to avoid being detected ...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
15 posts

 

<<<<<*Outgunned Faragut with with Mutsuki*

 

Farragut is just Plainly Terrible.

 

Meh Guns, Rubbish 4.5km Torpedoes (I use the stock one back in CBT), Large size.

 

Mutsuki is much better after the ROF Buff. It's AA are decent already, making it a great Escort/Support ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

 

Even worse I'd say..

 

 

so that it not bad just tier 6 ... but all tier up to 8 :izmena:

 

I dont know guys but after playing till i got the Shima-tan in CBT i really cant do much in it, Shima got the best trops in the game yea i agree with that, But other than that seem like Gearing beats it all.

 

And grinding through Tier 6-9 in USN DD is so much fun compare to IJN u dont have to hide or be sneaky, u can always go man mode with IJN DD (but careful da trops lol) you can also burn da BB alive :D:D:D

 

If you guys dont believe what im saying, Juz simply check my current status i bet its good enough to proof that i really enjoy playing USN DD ;)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
682 posts
4,757 battles

nah, I didn't say it not fun, I've play it up to tier 7 in CBT, it definitely more fun  , it like mini cruiser and fun hunting down other DD,

but I fell like IJN DD can carry the late game better, since they can do stealth kill

 

But looking from stat on high tier (8 up) when USN DD Torp goes beyond detection range ... Gearing are gonna feel better than Shimakaze since it had both good gun and torp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Tester
2,314 posts
7,094 battles

Now playing Nicholas and seeing how it chews up other careless IJN DDs, I have to agree. Though I'm still all up for IJN DDs since their torps have obscenely long range. The prospect of having stray hits on the enemy gets me all warm, tingly and fuzzy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×