Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Pseudoscope

Fire!

9 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
45 posts
6,581 battles

Hi All, 

Hoping you can help me out. Just had a game where I was up against a montana in my mahan, he was engaged with the rest of the fleet so I dropped smoke, parked up and ordered the boys to start loading HE. During this engagement I had 84 hits... and not a single fire. The montana had 1 small fire on it at one point but other than that she was ready to burn. 

Now the Mahan's %fire is 5% or 1 in 20. Thus giving me around 4 fires. Now I realise he could have taken the fire surpression (decreases fires by 7%) which would lower the Mahan's fire to 4.65% which isn't that different to 5%. The question to you all is, how does the fire mechanic work and why might I not have lit any? 

Also I've noticed you can have upto 4 fires, are there fire 'hit boxes', ie if I lit the bow of the ship on fire and kept landing my shells there I wouldn't light another fire until that one was out? 

Cheers in advance

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

The Hit Boxes for this game is kinda different

You hit certain part of the ship that probably immune to fire chance or Montana armor are way too fortified to be burn or he use module as well

And AFAIK it reduce the fire chance to be ignited on the ship, not your shells fire chance

So you get about less than ZERO percent to ignite something

But since WG didn't say anything about Fire mechanic detail, so....

Alpha Tester
523 posts
217 battles

Depends where you hit for starters, you wont start a fire if your rounds are hitting the hull, you need to get them onto the superstructure. Additionally, as you noted, you cant start a fire in a zone thats already on fire, from your OP I cant tell if you didnt observe any fires break out whatsoever, or simply had no fire damage in your after action report, so I dont know if this was the case. 

Finally, the thing about RNG is that its well, random <insert dilbert comic here>. Its entirely possible, albeit pretty unlikely, that you could have just been screwed over by the RNG.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Fire chance is related to the shell size, AFAIK. Destroyer 5" shells have the smallest chance to ignite fires.

Each ship has four portions - bow, forward superstructure, aft superstructure, stern. Each of these can be lit on fire.

For more information about fire mechanics, check out this thread on the RU forums. Google translate renders it mostly intelligible.

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

Chance to set fire = ship's base rate x (1-(Damage Control Mod 1+Fire Prevention skill)) x (shell's base chance to set fire+Demolition Expert)

Damage Control Mod 1 = 0.05
Fire Prevention skill = 0.07
Demolition Expert = 0.03

Assuming no upgrades/skills, and assuming Montana's base rate is 0.5:

Chance to set fire = 0.5 x (1-(0+0)) x (0.05+0) = 0.025 = 2.5%

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

When aiming at a battleship with a destroyer you should be aiming for the superstructure on the ship, this is the easiest part to catch fire and the most vulnerable to HE damage, you will take out his AA defenses, his secondary guns and so on, Hitting the side of the ship however all you will do is bugger all of anything.

Good rule to follow, if you can penetrate it with AP load AP and aim for the water line, If you can not pen it with AP aim just above the nose of the ship, this should ensure hits to the super structure. 

Also remember the plunging fire mechanic, at extreme ranges your shells will dip down and land on the deck of a target, for a DD it is always safest to just spam HE if all you are hitting is the deck, this will cause fires left right and centre. 

Hope this helps

Edited by Fear_the_Reaper

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

When aiming at a battleship with a destroyer you should be aiming for the superstructure on the ship, this is the easiest part to catch fire and the most vulnerable to HE damage, you will take out his AA defenses, his secondary guns and so on, Hitting the side of the ship however all you will do is bugger all of anything.

Good rule to follow, if you can penetrate it with AP load AP and aim for the water line, If you can not pen it with AP aim just above the nose of the ship you are shooting at on the water line, this should ensure hits to the super structure. 

Also remember the plunging fire mechanic, at extreme ranges your shells will dip down and land on the deck of a target, for a DD it is always safest to just spam HE if all you are hitting is the deck, this will cause fires left right and centre. 

Hope this helps

This is good advice - and remember, once you see a fire pop up on a ship, try to shift the aim so your shells start landing on another section of the ship to set more fires.

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

Doesn't matter whether you hit the deck or hull, you just need to hit the section that isn't on fire yet. Fire chance isn't dependent on penetration or hit location. You can bounce HE shells on Yamato's main belt and it will still catch fire. However, you'll do more damage hitting the superstructure since at least your shells will do damage as well instead of relying on fire DoT alone.

Beta Tester
45 posts
6,581 battles

Thanks all. With that reduction down to 2.5 that reduces my chances to 1-2 fires and then I dare say RNGesus screwed me. Special thanks to Syanda, for the Crazy Russian and Amade, for the correct maths and vid. 

Sign in to follow this