Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
TheLastMinotaurPC

Are CVs Really OP...........?

19 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
878 posts
151 battles

Firstly due to the fact of people whining that CVs are OP and such i decided to take their view into account. I came to the conclusion that overall CVs get a higher average damage per battle. This is in fact not due to the bombers themselves being broken but the in-game mechanics. I typically use my DBs on a target which lights them on fire. The nuffties then repair, then i send in my torp bombers. The result is i do 4k-8k per squad (which if you compare it to other ships is crap for the time it takes to re arm and travel). So your probably asking where is this damage coming from if not from the planes?

The answer to this is simple. It is coming from flooding. Many a time i have destroyed a BB on my second Torp run due to 1 min 30+ of flooding. So you must ask yourself is the flooding mechanic flawed (Too long?) or is it just that CVs are OP etc etc. My advice for now is until flooding and fire is adjusted do not panic and repair if you see Torp bombers and wait for them to drop.

Hope this helps!

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Damage control or Module repair

Has somekind of 'Duration' which will nulified any kind of Debuff (that's what we call in RPG)

Coming such as fire, Flood, Temporary Broken Turret, Engine off, Rudder stuck, etc etc in very short time (about 5 seconds)

But still can't prevent permanent turret break

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

No CV are not OP. They are Poorly Balanced.

What you mean? Poorly balance is meaning OP/UP right?

No. CV ARE supposed to be OP - Yet there should be Counters to it.

Fighters - Which gives Crap ATM and you don't have incentive to use it.

- Even if you use it there are simply Not enough of them.

AA - They only shoot down planes AFTER they drop their playload.

- Barrage only affect One Squadron Accuracy if you locked on to them (Which is the only way to down them quickly) - But the other two was left over untouched.

And if you don't locked on to them they don't do enough damage to shoot planes down.

Movements - Tier 5 or lower ships do not have enough AA or hell even Zero AA to minimize the damage taken no matter how long they delayed the attack.

Edited by Alvin1020

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

CV are "considered OP" because 2 things: 

- They get to dictate the engagement.

If you were in BB, you'll have trouble penning enemy ships if they are well-angled. If you are in a Carrier, your planes fly much faster and you can attack at whatever angle you want, ofcourse it takes some time and you may be under AA fire but it's just the planes that die, not your ship.

- Carriers are indirect attackers:

You are not under direct fire when attacking the enemy in your Carrier, that's the main thing. If you don't die, you can deal more damage, that's about it.

The best counter to a Carrier is another Carrier (any IJN CV, or tier9+ US CV), because 1 full wave from strike loadout of those Carrier can 1-shot another Carrier quickly, even if it doesn't kill the enemy Carrier it would bring the health down low enough for even Destroyers to finish off with guns.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Honestly i agree man, both fires and flooding do far too much damage currently. 

Not that, flood is deadly as it is, but it is far too long in term of duration

While fire.... is it makes sense you receive fire as big as 18.1 inch HE shells from destroyer?

Beta Tester
3,033 posts
1,487 battles

The torpedo damage and chance of flooding depends on the torpedo itself and the anti torpedo protection of the ship. It progresses with the tiers where tier 1 ships don’t have any (so 0% reduction) and tier 10  BBs (best anti torpedo protection) have 50% reduction of damage and chance of flooding, the rest is scaled inbetween. The flooding damage itself also depends on the tier and it’s between 0.5% and 0.125% hp/sec. That mean that tier 1 ships will lose 0.5%hp/sec, while tier 10 only 0.125% hp/sec. There can be only 1 flooding. Destroyers take increased torpedo damage in the middle section of their ship, that’s why sometimes 1 torpedo from TB can oneshot them even if the max damage is lower then their hp pool.

The bombs act as HE shells, but the chances of fire are very high – near 100% for the same tier ship if it’s a direct hit. The fire damage itself is constant and doesn’t depend on the tier. BBs, CAs and DDs burn for 0.3% hp/sec while CVs burn for 0.4% hp/sec. There can be multiple fires – 1 for each section (so up to 4 for BBs and CVs) and the damage stacks. You can’t be set on fire again (restart the cooldown) if the section is burning already and the fires won’t spread to other sections alone. The chance of fire however will decrease with the tier progression, where tier 1 has 100% chance to be set on fire (the stats for each shell), while tier 10 ship will have 50% less chance to be set on fire. There is also “Fire prevention” perk that will lower the chance of fire by 7%. If the shell has 10% chance to start fire it won’t be 3% with the perk, but 7% from those 10. So 0.07*10=0.7 or 9.3% chance for fire instead of 10. If the fire is not put out it will last 60 seconds, but with the captain’s perk and ship’s upgrades it can be reduced to 43 sec.

Flooding isn't even as bad as fire.

Sauce.

Edited by Umidoori

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

Not that, flood is deadly as it is, but it is far too long in term of duration

While fire.... is it makes sense you receive fire as big as 18.1 inch HE shells from destroyer?

Fires could stand to lose half of their effective damage, As it stands fires tend to equal a cleveland for an examples damage with penetrating shots, that is too much. i have done 70k dmg with 370 pens and just as much with the 20 fires that were started. 

Best way to half fire dmg half fire durations, same goes for flooding. 

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Fires could stand to lose half of their effective damage, As it stands fires tend to equal a cleveland for an examples damage with penetrating shots, that is too much. i have done 70k dmg with 370 pens and just as much with the 20 fires that were started. 

Best way to half fire dmg half fire durations, same goes for flooding. 

Or makes Fire equivalent with HE shells size and Flood equivalent with the location and Bulge etc etc. But nerf both fire and flood to half is kinda... nonsense

Beta Tester
14 posts
4,219 battles

CVs OP? maybe can take a look at this game's result

Still don't understand what went wrong in this battle actually, or just the match making not balance yet? 

shot-15.07.30_09.23.12-0491.jpg

Beta Tester
35 posts
1,224 battles

CVs OP? maybe can take a look at this game's result

Still don't understand what went wrong in this battle actually, or just the match making not balance yet? 

Your team obviously didn't use their repair ability at the right time.  And anyway, it's clear they are all terrible players who deserved to be smacked down to their proper position below the truly skilled 10apm CV master race (or so this forum would have me believe).

Also, matchmaking is working as intended - WG said so, therefore it must be true.

*anyway, it's obvious what the problem is.  AA only starts picking off plane numbers after they've dropped all their torpedoes due to high hp.  Your team loses precious ships, the enemy team loses expendable planes, and t10 cv has practically infinite number of planes to expend given the timelimits and pacing.  Very short range manual drop, combined with multiple squadrons is what is allowing this trade to occur very risk free.

Edited by elodea

Beta Tester
753 posts
657 battles

Are CV's OP? Only the tier 4 one. It'll see tier 3-4 with same unlucky tier 2's. the tier 5 ships will be annoyed since their stock AA is well quite lacking.

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

Are CV's OP? Only the tier 4 one. It'll see tier 3-4 with same unlucky tier 2's. the tier 5 ships will be annoyed since their stock AA is well quite lacking.

I have tier 4 IJN CV. Planes are super slow, torpedoes are super slow and drop from a long way  out. My planes are fully upgraded and my fighters get destroyed by USA fighters of the same tier every battle.

My tier 4 CV only sees tier 4-6 ships in battles, out of 7 CV battles today I was put vs an enemy tier 5 CV five times by MM.

My tier 5 BB has excellent AA defenses. 

My torpedoes at tier 4 do very weak damage, today I hit a tier 5 BB with 4 torpedoes in one bombing run, and it hardly felt them.

496 posts
4,171 battles

With the current players around tier 4-5, CV players can facepalm once in a while especially games where 2-3 ships are at the right side and the rest on the left side and CV start at right side  then enemy DD came and rekt the ___ out before CV could move to the east side of the map.

CV aren't OP especially getting rekt with HE shells CV can't retaliate back and just wait a slow and painful death

plus they are slow to dodge torps XD

another statement : planes get shot down easily  if the player(CV) can't get the attacks right and the planes end up flying around enemy AA more

Beta Tester
18 posts
2,520 battles

I would say my tier 4 IJN CV is a little UP. Close to balanced, but slightly UP.

LOL. The T4 IJN CV does comfortably more (~25%) average damage than the T9 American cruiser, let alone vs other ships at it's tier. 

Anyways, as for this thread, ofcourse they're OP. The T4 and T5 USN CVs are the only ones even remotely close to being balanced (though I believe they still do too much damage), at every other tier/nation combo they do huge damage compared to every other class, and they take no risks in doing it. 

We have access to the stats across all the ship classes, there is little room for debate I'm afraid.

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

I would say my tier 4 IJN CV is a little UP. Close to balanced, but slightly UP.

Still arguing how UP your Hosho is.

*Sigh*

I mean, Your fighters do their job adequately - Shoot down bombers. As a Alpha Tester I suppose you know IJN CV is not about Air superiority.

You have 2 Torpedo squadron, meaning you can Cross Torpedo a ship, Making it inevitable.

If thats not enough, you have Low Arming time and Torpedo arming distance. What more you want? Seriously mate? You see how OP the Hakuryu is?

Sign in to follow this