Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Pseudoscope

Anti-Air

9 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
45 posts
6,579 battles

Hi Dev's, 

Not sure on how the AA is implemented but as far as I can tell each gun only works on 1 squadron at a time. It think it'd be cool to see an area of effect stance taken on with AA with the preferential AA selection being used to prioritize. This would punish CV's that stack their aircraft one on-top of the other, and would be more realistic. The more planes in a region of sky, the more likely a shell or round will hit them. 

Cheers

Pseudo 

1,230 posts
2,367 battles

It works to the squad that's in-range. When Using a Barrage ability ( on CAs ) it will extend the DPS and Range.

It'll focus on a single squad if you manually order it to.

If the situation in-game at that time isn't like what I said. Show the Replay file to the mods

Super Tester
2,725 posts

The player has to manually prioritized on enemy air squadron, to order your AA to focus one squadron: Hold & Press Ctrl + Point & Click on Enemy air squadron.

The AA gun's hit accuracy is depends on RNG and not always at correct aim. So don't expect your AA guns to hit enemy squadron like a pro. ;)

Edited by Mingfang47

Beta Tester
45 posts
6,579 battles

I know that it focuses on 1 squadron, I just think it's been coded such that each type of gun will only damage one squadron at a time. 

Ie, if a carrier stacks all it's planes on one location and AA was to engage, only one squadron will be hit with the 'AA damage'

It would be cool to see AA work as a firing cone. In other words, anything in the cone of fire has the chance to be hit. If a carrier brings all squadrons in on a single strafe the the 'target' the AA has to fire at is much bigger, decreasing 'misses' and damaging all as it would in real life

Beta Tester
823 posts
4,971 battles

That's not how it works.  Your AA will target 1 squad and 1 squad only if you manually tell them to.  Otherwise their DPS will be split amongst whatever air squad is in your AA envelope.

E.G  2 torp bombers in your area, your AA will be 50% on each squad.  If you manually select 1 of the 2 torp squads, then 100% AA will be directed at that.

Don't trust what you see in terms of tracers etc, as that is purely cosmetic.

Beta Tester
45 posts
6,579 battles

Thanks for that Fox, I figured the AA was a simple damage over time mechanic, although no one can know without the devs saying so. I still think however there should be a multiplier for stacking aircraft. Say you have 3 tb in close formation, when aa engages, lets say that rather than 100% damage spread over the 3, it's more like 150% over the 3

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

Thanks for that Fox, I figured the AA was a simple damage over time mechanic, although no one can know without the devs saying so. I still think however there should be a multiplier for stacking aircraft. Say you have 3 tb in close formation, when aa engages, lets say that rather than 100% damage spread over the 3, it's more like 150% over the 3

I'll comment on this, from the perspective of Carrier player:

Now if this function is going to be implemented:

- Ships with weak AA capability would hardly notice any difference. Firstly because their AA is so weak, and against weak AA targets the Carrier would attack in a constant stream anyway. If they go in 1 big wave of stacked planes then he's handicapping himself, and thus should be punished for his own incompetence.

- Ships with high AA would be further protected against aerial attack, because constant stream attack would place high casualty on the Carrier planes, but stacking planes (which previously help reduce casualty) would nolonger work because of that "area effect AA". Thus the Carrier player would suffer losses the same either he attack in wave or stream. 

One thing to note though: The aerial effect, if to be implemented, would have limited "radius" at which it would only have effect if planes are close enough to together. If the Carrier captain can take note of that "radius", he can plan his attack from multiple sides, effectively achieving the result he previously could by stacking planes, but at the high cost of micromanagement, or skill in other word. Now comes the other thing: Attacking from "multiple angles" here means only 2 angles: either left or right side of target (or front and back if it is Dive Bomber). If played right, the amount of damage inflicted on target and the number of planes loss is the same as stacking planes without AA effect radius change.

What does this do in terms of Carrier gameplay?

- It places more work on the Carrier player if he decides to attack a target with high anti-air defense capability. The amount of results that can be achieved is the same, it just take more micromanagement to do. From the perspective of receiving target it's mostly the same, the Carrier player could position his planes outside the target's AA and make the attack run.

- HOWEVER, if the target is moving with a fleet, then the situation becomes complicated.

+ If they are sailing in a Line formation: the Carrier player can position his planes from both sides, and achieve the same effect, although he'd be under AA fire from multiple ships. Depending on what kind of line formation you do, you can defend yourself (your fleet to be exact) from certain type of attack.

- If you go line ahead, then you defend yourself from Dive Bombers who can only attack from the front or the back. Going Line ahead allow your fleet to maximize broadside firepower, but makes you vulnerable to Torpedo Bomber. 

- If you go line Abreast, you can defend yourself from Torpedo Bombers who can only attack from the Left or Right side. Going line abreast would reduce your firepower as you can't turn all your guns to bear, but you'll be protected from Torpedo Bombers. Dive Bombers aren't that dangerous unless you are in a big ship.

- Echelon formation (diagonal line): This formation is weird, you can maximize broadside firepower but the outermost end ships of the formation are vulnerable from any attack. Only ships in the middle of the formation are protected, although the protection includes both from Torpedo and Dive Bombers.

+ If they are sailing in a DIAMOND formation, or Double Line(s), or any that's not a line: The Carrier can only attack from 1 direction with his Bomber, and taking that AA radius effect AND AA fire from other ships (which also do AA radius effect too). Practically, it's a foolish move to do from the Carrier perspective. As for the surface ships (receiving end of those Bomber), it's a very effective tactic against enemy Bombers. The problem is that it's hard to maintain this formation, more so than the single line ones above. Things become more complicated when your fleet tries to engage the enemy with your entire broadside (you don't want to shoot if there's an ally in the way, if you get what I mean). If your formation is loose enough, you can fire over your ally, but then the AA defense would be weaken. Going in a tight formation creates impenetrable AA defense but it severely limits firepower.

Result:

- It doesn't change the fate of ships with low AA capabilities much.

- It would further benefit ships with good AA capabilities, not sure do they actually need even more.

- It makes going in formation even more important, although this doesn't matter much in random battles mode where everyone are doing their own thing.

- Lower tier Carriers have small hangar and are susceptible to plane loss, although at low tiers there aren't that many ships with good AA anyway. Higher tier Carriers will suffer more losses to AA fire, but they have plenty of planes in hangar already.

In short, it's something that would promote team play and formation, but I'm not sure how much of an impact would it have in random battles mode. However, it does make Carrier learning curve a bit steeper, and I'm fine with that.

I'd not reject your idea, but if we are going to implement this it would need quite a bit of work to get it right.

EDIT: Holy wall of text. Wait a bit I'm going to re-format my post :hiding:

Edited by Gezeiten_Heimatwelt

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

^

Most maps have such limited navigation that sailing in any formation for any length of time is difficult. That's before one considers the near total absence of comms.

Alpha Tester
523 posts
217 battles

The info on AA mechanics has been available since closed alpha, its just a simple DOT with varying maximum ranges assigned to the different calibers of AA.

Sign in to follow this