Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Muds_Revenge

BB shots falling short

14 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

It's happened a few times now, you fire at a target showing their port or starboard side, only to watch your salvo fall painfully short, by quite a distance, compared to where you aimed. This is rather frustrating for BB's who have a rof of 1.5-2.

Also, when I am aiming at a target behind an island, you aim for over the island, only for your shots to hit the island, (and I knew my shots could make it over the island). It's as if the server recticle is "grabbing" or "latching onto" the island, while the player recticle is not.

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

It's happened a few times now, you fire at a target showing their port or starboard side, only to watch your salvo fall painfully short, by quite a distance, compared to where you aimed. This is rather frustrating for BB's who have a rof of 1.5-2.

Also, when I am aiming at a target behind an island, you aim for over the island, only for your shots to hit the island, (and I knew my shots could make it over the island). It's as if the server recticle is "grabbing" or "latching onto" the island, while the player recticle is not.

If they hit dead where you aim - Cruisers can literally just be removed from the game - They Stand NO chance. One hit can deal like 10000 Damage - What more you want?

Devs already said this is intended - Don't like it? How Terrible. Play Cruisers.

As for Lobbing the shell - My personal experience is that you need to Lock on to the target and press Alt while you shooting. I manage some success with it - especially USN DDs.

Edited by Alvin1020

Super Tester
1,177 posts
4,099 battles

Also Alvin... your profile picture :hiding: [sERB INTENSIFIES]

It's quite a shame that SerB doesn't have a role in the WoWS development team. I liked how passionate he was on his mantras and viewpoints on WoT.

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

It's quite a shame that SerB doesn't have a role in the WoWS development team. I liked how passionate he was on his mantras and viewpoints on WoT.

SerB is in fact a Very clever man - I hate yet I respect SerB a lot.

He knows what he's doing despite the trolls - shame he's not very invovled in WoT anymore as well.

Edited by Alvin1020

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

If your shots are falling short, check to see if your target is travelling slightly away from you instead of parallel to you. At longer distances, it can be difficult to tell and placing the aim point at the waterline will simply result in shots hitting the water in front of your target.

With regards to the island, make sure you're locked onto the ship behind the island (that actually has a function and a visible difference), and then hope that the shell trajectory is high enough to fly over the island. If your target is close to an island, it will be harder to hit them.

Edited by Syanda

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

If they hit dead where you aim - Cruisers can literally just be removed from the game - They Stand NO chance. One hit can deal like 10000 Damage - What more you want?

Devs already said this is intended - Don't like it? How Terrible. Play Cruisers.

As for Lobbing the shell - My personal experience is that you need to Lock on to the target and press Alt while you shooting. I manage some success with it - especially USN DDs.

It's not a question of absolute accuracy, it's like the shot only had half the load of powder it was supposed to. If we apply your logic, I WOULD LIKE SOME DUMMY TORPEDOES PLEASE. IRL, THERE WERE MANY FAIL TORPEDOES.

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

If your shots are falling short, check to see if your target is travelling slightly away from you instead of parallel to you. At longer distances, it can be difficult to tell and placing the aim point at the waterline will simply result in shots hitting the water in front of your target.

With regards to the island, make sure you're locked onto the ship behind the island (that actually has a function and a visible difference), and then hope that the shell trajectory is high enough to fly over the island. If your target is close to an island, it will be harder to hit them.

I stated when they are port or starboard showing, not at an angle. The problem is I fire the salvo, and the salvo falls some 300-500 meters short. If this is intended as part of the regular game, please add torpedoes that fail to detonate.

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

I stated when they are port or starboard showing, not at an angle. The problem is I fire the salvo, and the salvo falls some 300-500 meters short. If this is intended as part of the regular game, please add torpedoes that fail to detonate.

Some Battleships (particularly US ones) have really bad dispersion. It's possible that you got trolled by RNG.

And regarding torpedo dud, just no. It's much harder to land a torpedo hit on an enemy ship than a shell, we don't need more RNG to the game than right now.

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

so far i only experience it with kawachi. at max range, most of its shell just fall short.

8 posts
626 battles

I get what you're saying, and have had this happen to me in cruisers as well, you aim, have the cursor over them, fire, and it's like the guns have still been mid-traverse to the correct elevation, because your rounds fall short by a few kilometres.

70 posts
890 battles

I have also occasionally seen this recently. Firing a long range full broadside from my New York. Four of the shells hit the water together many kilometers short, a huge spray of water long before the other six shells arrived dispersed normally around the target. It's not frequent but it does stick in your mind as it's quite unexpected. It is worth fixing, if possible, as it represents a failure of 'suspension of dis-belief', spoiling the fantasy of the game experience. IMHO

3 posts
1,204 battles

I also commented in the forums about this issue. It is not about gun dispersion or RNG - I fully understand why this needs to be part of the game dynamics. 

It's not a common issue, but a handful of times I've fired a BB broadside and had the entire group fall painfully short. And please, don't tell me about RNG and dispersion again; assuming there is a 50% chance shots will fall closer or further than intended when RNG is working correctly, the chances of all 12 shots falling short are 0.5^12 = 0.002% chance.

Beta Tester
35 posts
1,224 battles

Some Battleships (particularly US ones) have really bad dispersion. It's possible that you got trolled by RNG.

And regarding torpedo dud, just no. It's much harder to land a torpedo hit on an enemy ship than a shell, we don't need more RNG to the game than right now.

No, it's a rare bug that probably has something to do with client desync.  If it was bad rng, you would not expect to see a normal dispersion spread several km short as if you had your cursor was pointed there.

Sign in to follow this