You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ProvoBob

Torpedoes

26 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
197 posts
2,388 battles

It would seem that destroyers have an unlimited number of torpedoes.  As this is very unrealistic, as does the number of shells carried by the ships, is there some way of limiting this?

Some destroyers in the game simply do the invisible trick (another unrealistic part of the game)and fire salvo after salvo of torps.

Super Tester
802 posts

tl;dr: Realism takes a hit when it heavily impacts on game play in a negative way.

WG were originally considering implementing this idea, but very recently it got scrapped.

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

It would seem that destroyers have an unlimited number of torpedoes.  As this is very unrealistic, as does the number of shells carried by the ships, is there some way of limiting this?

Some destroyers in the game simply do the invisible trick (another unrealistic part of the game)and fire salvo after salvo of torps.

Ships carry more than enough ammo for a 20min match in real life.

If you nerf DD even more by giving them limited ammo (1-2 salvo worth), then make torpedo have NO warning or else no one will play DD cause you won't hit anything with them.

Alpha Tester
197 posts
2,388 battles

I'm pretty sure that it would take a destroyer crew more than 20 minutes in a battle to hoist up and reload torps IRL.  So maybe even limit them to only a couple of reloads.  Might make them use their brains for a change instead of just racing up and firing a salvo through the gaps between islands in the hope of hitting something or keeping others from using that gap.  That Japanese Premium ship that was all torps was probably removed for the same reason.

On the gun ammo, I'm not so sure some ships would have as much ammo as a Cleveland firing salvo after salvo for 15 minutes.  In one game, I hit enemy ships 162 times.  That doesn't take into account the ones that didn't hit!  Forgot to look bit I'm pretty sure the rounds fired could have been 3 or 4 times that amount.

Destroyers DO have guns as well people.  They may not do as much damage, but can change the game if used correctly against an enemy destroyer, cruiser or carrier.

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,175 battles

I'm pretty sure that it would take a destroyer crew more than 20 minutes in a battle to hoist up and reload torps IRL.  So maybe even limit them to only a couple of reloads.  Might make them use their brains for a change instead of just racing up and firing a salvo through the gaps between islands in the hope of hitting something or keeping others from using that gap.  That Japanese Premium ship that was all torps was probably removed for the same reason.

On the gun ammo, I'm not so sure some ships would have as much ammo as a Cleveland firing salvo after salvo for 15 minutes.  In one game, I hit enemy ships 162 times.  That doesn't take into account the ones that didn't hit!  Forgot to look bit I'm pretty sure the rounds fired could have been 3 or 4 times that amount.

Destroyers DO have guns as well people.  They may not do as much damage, but can change the game if used correctly against an enemy destroyer, cruiser or carrier.

Have you ever used a DD? If haven't then let me tell you this... The main weapon of DD are torpedoes. If you give them a limited number of torps then DD are mostly useless unless it get into a gunnery duel with another DD or a... Carrier. Even a tier X DD is hopelessly out gunned by a tier IV CA or CL. DD guns have small caliber, and they do not have as many gun as CA or CL. Cruisers can out DPM DD with ease in every way.

Only a friggin maniac would get into a gun fight with a cruiser using a DD. No matter what tier he is. DD has to rely on torpedoes. Without torps, they are mostly useless.

Alpha Tester
197 posts
2,388 battles

Have you ever used a DD? If haven't then let me tell you this... The main weapon of DD are torpedoes. If you give them a limited number of torps then DD are mostly useless unless it get into a gunnery duel with another DD or a... Carrier. Even a tier X DD is hopelessly out gunned by a tier IV CA or CL. DD guns have small caliber, and they do not have as many gun as CA or CL. Cruisers can out DPM DD with ease in every way.

Only a friggin maniac would get into a gun fight with a cruiser using a DD. No matter what tier he is. DD has to rely on torpedoes. Without torps, they are mostly useless.

I didn't say take away their torps altogether, I said, "So maybe even limit them to only a couple of reloads.  Might make them use their brains for a change instead of just racing up and firing a salvo through the gaps between islands in the hope of hitting something or keeping others from using that gap."

I'm not saying they should get in a one on one fight with a cruiser, but if they HELP team mates by attacking a cruiser from a different angle, they can do some damage like starting fires etc, while that cruiser's main attention is on the team mate.  FFS, don't people know how to play as a team!

The destroyers I see in games, that actually survive, are not the yolo ones whose only intent is to keep pouring torps down-range, but those who use a bit of common sense and help the team by placement and working with others.  You don't need unlimited torps or large calibre guns for that.

Alpha Tester
197 posts
2,388 battles

Limit torpedoes ammo? How bout you won't notice torpedoes until it touch you??

We already get that with invisible ships and torp bombers.

Alpha Tester
197 posts
2,388 battles

Ships carry more than enough ammo for a 20min match in real life.

If you nerf DD even more by giving them limited ammo (1-2 salvo worth), then make torpedo have NO warning or else no one will play DD cause you won't hit anything with them.

If you need 20 or more torpedoes to hit anything, then I suggest you give up using them.  Try positioning or teamwork to make fewer torps do more damage.

Alpha Tester
197 posts
2,388 battles

"Muh Realism" ticked again?

Where's that bingo card now? I lost muh copy :D

kidding aside,

Gameplay > Realism

If you want Fantasy, find a kiddie game.  I would like to see some amount of Realism, even if it erks some people to see it requested yet again.

Alpha Tester
266 posts
3,486 battles

Gameplay has been prioritized over realism to WG-based games. They may apply some real life aspects but to the point that it would be still enjoyable as an arcade game

yep, World of Warships is an Arcade game. Sorry to inform ya :child:

also, the Multi Quote function exists

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

You do know "Realism" means most torp (or shells for that matter) wont hit IRL?

Look at Battle of Surigao Strait the amount of torpedo they shot down a NARROW strait just to land a few hits.

As for shells fired:

Look at Bismarck  British combine fleet fired over 2 thousand rounds at the Bismarck over the course of 1hr+

Edited by Windforce

Alpha Tester
197 posts
2,388 battles

Look at Battle of Surigao Strait the amount of torpedo they shot down a NARROW strait just to land a few hits.

As for shells fired:

Look at Bismarck  British combine fleet fired over 2 thousand rounds at the Bismarck over the course of 1hr+

Yeah, and if not for a single string-bag Swordfish with a torp, they might STILL be chasing her!:teethhappy:

Alpha Tester
197 posts
2,388 battles

Gameplay has been prioritized over realism to WG-based games. They may apply some real life aspects but to the point that it would be still enjoyable as an arcade game

yep, World of Warships is an Arcade game. Sorry to inform ya :child:

also, the Multi Quote function exists

I prefer to deal with posts individually.  Makes people feel more important than they may actually be.

Super Tester
532 posts
1,052 battles

If you want Fantasy, find a kiddie game.  I would like to see some amount of Realism, even if it erks some people to see it requested yet again.

Since when was WoWS (or any WG game) a simulator game?

Realism is put out in favor of "balance". 

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

We already get that with invisible ships and torp bombers.

I'm talking about Long Lance able to be detected up to 2 km. while in real life, you won't notice it until it explode

Alpha Tester
197 posts
2,388 battles

Since when was WoWS (or any WG game) a simulator game?

Realism is put out in favor of "balance". 

I understand that it is not a simulator, but it's beyond an arcade shoot-em-up too.

50 posts
59 battles

Incorrect. It takes experience and mathematics.

Firing many torpedoes down a narrow strait was a classic case of water space denial with any scored tonnage a bonus.

But considering this isn't a simulator you brought up a completely irrelevant reference to a RL scenario.

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

But considering this isn't a simulator you brought up a completely irrelevant reference to a RL scenario.

Cause OP wanted to make it more "Realistic", so my point is valid. :popcorn:
Edited by Windforce

50 posts
59 battles

Cause OP wanted to make it more "Realistic", so my point is valid. :popcorn:

The only relevance your historical reference has to this game is how most players use torpedoes. By firing them through a choke point or open area to deny water space to the enemy.

55 posts
1,095 battles

Well I can tell you that IRL it take less than 3 minutes to reload a torp tube and if they took longer they have a PO's boot up there arse Ships carry thousands of rounds for each gun. Magizines are under the gun mounts for a reaason to get sheelss up quick as shit I have loaded a 4.5inch every thing apart from laying rounds in the gun was down by hoists and sliding tables Is very affeciant and very very fast IRL navys pratice like hell to get quicker and quicker I will add that IRL a DD would not spam of torps all over the shop They were used sparingly But hell this not a sim is it

45 posts
1,228 battles

Reload time for torps on a Mogami was apparently 16 seconds, range was more like 30 kilometres. Reloads even in the cruisers were generally 1.

I would like to see a lot more realism in this game because it has precious little of it at the moment. DDs can spam a lot of torps though I think you wont see a change, like a lot of people are saying the developers are more interested in making a buck than trying to simulate anything. At some point someone will make something more historically accurate hopefully.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Well I can tell you that IRL it take less than 3 minutes to reload a torp tube and if they took longer they have a PO's boot up there arse Ships carry thousands of rounds for each gun. Magizines are under the gun mounts for a reaason to get sheelss up quick as shit I have loaded a 4.5inch every thing apart from laying rounds in the gun was down by hoists and sliding tables Is very affeciant and very very fast IRL navys pratice like hell to get quicker and quicker I will add that IRL a DD would not spam of torps all over the shop They were used sparingly But hell this not a sim is it

That's for modern ships. Historically, reloading torpedoes on IJN DDs took about 3-5 minutes, assuming nothing went wrong with the winches, 30+ minutes if Murphy strikes. And that's just IJN DDs, because IJN DDs were pretty much the only surface warships at that time to incorporate combat reloads, given that having spare torpedoes lying about is a nightmare. For everyone else - once the torpedoes are fired, no reloads until they could rearm from an ammunition ship.

We've had this discussion about limiting torpedoes before. Sure, it'd cut down on the torpedo spam, but limiting reloads that takes away the primary armament of the destroyer class.

Edited by Syanda

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,563 posts

Would be interested to know just whose torpedo tubes you loaded in under 3 minutes, unless you are referring to a submarine.