You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
3LIT3_5NIP3R

Furutaka

13 comments in this topic

14 posts
497 battles

How to play Furuktaka? It feels so different from Kuma, which is rather spray and pray. I took it in a training battle, but as the mod seems bugged with adding bots I had to settle for a Bogue as enemy. The AP seems to overpen the Bogue, but with HE I managed 3 citadels in one salvo. I took it out for a real match, and was facing problems fighting a Kuma at rather close range. AP was doing 1450 damage at best, if they could hit with my rather poor aiming.. The reload of 22s with main battery modification is still punishing if you miss, since every other non BB at your tier is pew pew.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Welcome to IJN heavy cruisers, and heavy cruiser gameplay in general.

No more spraying and praying. Your guns are bigger, but also start to hit a lot harder. 20.3cm guns can easily wreck other cruisers, and even cause major problems for battleships. However, your ship is equally fragile now - big citadel and a bit less maneuverable than a light cruiser. Though you do start getting better AA by next tier.

As you've noticed, the 20.3s have considerable penetration power - load AP against other cruisers and go for citadel hits. Against battleships, carriers and destroyers, switch to HE shells. If you can hit consistently at long (>12km) range, though, consider AP against battleships, since plunging fire can punch through the decks.

As for playing it, no more brawling. Your long turret turn time and vulnerable citadel, coupled with being slower on the turn means you'll do better staying out at ~7-10km ranges and hitting targets from there, although feel free to close in to <5km for close-range fire and to use your torpedoes. Find a friendly battleship to hide behind too (and hope he doesn't stay far away). There's no need to charge into battle, vary your speed and course according to how the map situation unfolds.

29 posts
850 battles

Rush for her second turrets, they have better reloading time.

Also, if you prefer sniping playstyle, increased accuracy is better than turret turn rate.

However, if you prefer adaptability, turret turn rate is the best choice for those sluggish turrets.

For citadel hit, it take time to practice, just aim for waterline at 10 KM or lower (for 203mm you can score citadel hit at 12km or lower)

Aiming for waterline works every time. :teethhappy:

From now on, every shot must count becuz there are no more fast reloading guns of Kuma anymore.

If you are good with dodging and landing citadel hits, brawling with another cruisers will be High Risk-High Reward situation.

Just don't try to brawl with Cheatland.

Edited by Menrva_Scarlet

14 posts
497 battles

Do I go broadside with other ships or maintain an angle towards them with my bow? In another training battle this time with Wyoming bot, I got citadeled when exposing broadside, but I was able to put more shots in. I wasn't doing enough damage however, my AP hit for 1.5k per shell at best. It was at 12km+, and plunging fire seemed to pen but not citadel the Wyoming.

Update: Fought an Omaha bot, decided to just keep broadside to him for max damage while staying at 9km range min. Took him down while only losing 10k or so health, got 3 nice citadels in as well. Seem to starting to get hang of it.

Edited by 3LIT3_5NIP3R

1,230 posts
2,354 battles

Do I go broadside with other ships or maintain an angle towards them with my bow? In another training battle this time with Wyoming bot, I got citadeled when exposing broadside, but I was able to put more shots in. I wasn't doing enough damage however, my AP hit for 1.5k per shell at best. It was at 12km+, and plunging fire seemed to pen but not citadel the Wyoming.

Update: Fought an Omaha bot, decided to just keep broadside to him for max damage while staying at 9km range min. Took him down while only losing 10k or so health, got 3 nice citadels in as well. Seem to starting to get hang of it.

Turn broadside when fire, then change course as fast as u can

29 posts
850 battles

AP will do maximum damage when hit the citadels.

For BBs, plunging fire only pen their deck armor while their citadel armor (their broadside) are too thick to be pen easily.

They can be pen by 203mm (at 5km or below) though, but rarely.

Try not to expose your broadside, they can easily one-shot you at this range.

Only show your broadside when going for a kill, trying to inflict serious damage or BBs just fired their guns.

IJN CAs are floating citadels.

Edited by Menrva_Scarlet

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

If you are firing at Carriers, use HE to set them on fire, taking their flight deck out of commision so that they can't launch or recover any plane.

Next, use AP and target their citadel. It doesn't matter how thinly armored the target is, as long as you can hit the citadel you'll do max damage. Ofcourse HE is still safer if you are shooting at long range or you aren't confident in your aim. Destroyers are the exception, because they don't have citadel so AP will always overpen; some Carriers do have really light armor but they still have citadel for you to hit, and you can't overpen citadel no matter what.

Beta Tester
317 posts
953 battles

Locking the turrets at the start of the match into the general direction where the enemies lay perhaps? I have unlocked Furutaka, but still haven't buy it......

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

I still consider her turret transverse speed as terribly slow

Agreed, RoF and range is ok for its tier, but the turret traverse equal to that of a minekaze, along with having short range torps makes her useless in a close quarters battle

[APS]
80 posts
6,412 battles

Locking the turrets at the start of the match into the general direction where the enemies lay perhaps? I have unlocked Furutaka, but still haven't buy it......

pre-locking the turrets makes a big difference, so much that I saved up enough gold stars to bypass her but now am having too much fun to do so.

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

The Furutaka is particularly disliked by players because of the sudden change from light cruiser to heavy cruiser. It is still extremely weak to armour-piercing shells, but you have much worse manoeuvreability to dodge them, making them quite tricky to play. It is made up for with a much bigger stick to hit people with; your 203mm guns are scary towards battleships, let alone other cruisers or destroyers.

Torpedoes are actually a useful weapon to have in close-range. It is amazing how many players forget that IJN cruisers can fire torpedoes, when they get into the rhythm of trading fire, and so may have...extremely funny reactions (for you) when they realise that torpedoes are speeding towards them from apparently nowhere.

Despite the lousy armour, and the apparent uselessness of the torpedoes, you can't go wrong with using IJN cruisers to fight delaying actions or to spearhead attacks, because of the power of the guns. Never expose your flanks to the enemy if possible; always keep your axial length pointed towards the enemy, and wriggle your ship to get salvoes off.

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

The Furutaka is particularly disliked by players because of the sudden change from light cruiser to heavy cruiser. It is still extremely weak to armour-piercing shells, but you have much worse manoeuvreability to dodge them, making them quite tricky to play. It is made up for with a much bigger stick to hit people with; your 203mm guns are scary towards battleships, let alone other cruisers or destroyers.

Torpedoes are actually a useful weapon to have in close-range. It is amazing how many players forget that IJN cruisers can fire torpedoes, when they get into the rhythm of trading fire, and so may have...extremely funny reactions (for you) when they realise that torpedoes are speeding towards them from apparently nowhere.

Despite the lousy armour, and the apparent uselessness of the torpedoes, you can't go wrong with using IJN cruisers to fight delaying actions or to spearhead attacks, because of the power of the guns. Never expose your flanks to the enemy if possible; always keep your axial length pointed towards the enemy, and wriggle your ship to get salvoes off.

The only real change I see is the gun turrets. Instead of fast aiming, fast firing guns you now have these sluggish, slow-firing but hard-hitting guns.

The tricky gun is what turns most people off, although I managed to get some decent result with it. 

Because the guns are slow, you need time for them to aim. Unfortunately, the Furutaka doesn't have much armor at all which means it's susceptible to damage while trying to aim the guns. Violent maneuvers might help you survive but you can't fire your guns doing that.

In short, this thing is a Light Cruiser with Heavy Cruiser gun, and it's a really bad combination. If only it was Heavy Cruiser with Light Cruiser gun like Mogami with 155mm Triples then the story would be completely different.