You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
KinomotoSakura_chan

US destroyers are "scrap" !

21 comments in this topic

[LN]
Super Tester
549 posts

US Destroyer I see very few people play, even argue that it is "scrap" :izmena:
In my opinion its gameplay does not conform to the newbie :child:, it should have a higher experience Japanese Destroyer lot, really a lot :medal:
According to you, why let's share ideas and how to effectively play the US Destroyer
P / s: I love myself more American Destroyer Japanese Destroyer :honoring:

11796424_696726013804519_130257850015156

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

Keep your distance >8km and keep harassing. At such range shells are very easy to dodge as long as you move around.

Torpedoes are just there for you to look at below Tier 7.

However, after Tier 8 it's just heaven. Fantastic and very balance ships. Great Torpedo Range and Still keeping the Decent Guns.

Edited by Alvin1020

Beta Tester
682 posts
4,757 battles

Well, for low tier now just play as spotter ,

Spotting ship for your team, stay away from detection range , most aggressive on this role can be sneak into behind enemy line and take down thier Carrier

or just play it like cruiser with torp ,

Stay with the gruop, use your gun to annoy enemyship, smoke screen in front of your fleet to hide it from enemy and you can be the spotter so your team will see enemy but enemy can't see your fleet

or if you want to use torp, stay near island, and use surprise attack for enemyship that comming out behind the islands

it will be like this until you get tier 8 and that when you can play like Jap DD, or even better cas you now got good gun too that Jap DD don't have

Edited by WindCruiser

Alpha Tester
105 posts
428 battles

As far as low tier US DDs go: The crazier you are, the better the grind will be. Charging everything with bullheaded aggression can get you places, especially when you temper it with the timing of revealing yourself in the opposite direction of the enemy's guns.

One ship? You can kill it. Two ships? Just get yourself in between them and fire torpedoes everywhere while blasting the easier to kill. Three ships? Wreak havoc and don't be happy if you die with just taking one of them down. :izmena:

Orrrrr you could be boring and play it safe spotting for battleships and taking on a more passive role.  :trollface:

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

USN DD = original name of a destroy - Torpedo Boat Destroyer 

I.E. designed to take out enemy torpedo boats (IJN DD)

IJN DD = first part of the original name - Torpedo Boat

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

I use guns, only guns. US DD's torps are useless

Early tier USN DD's have broadside torpedo tubes, and can therefore afford to spam lots of torps at short range :P

Mid to high tier DD's boast excellent gunnery and RoF ( I got up to the Benson in CBT) and start having torps with somewhat respectable range and damage

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Their guns are as deadly as Kuma firepower
With smaller size and better maneuverability until you reach higher tier

Edited by Harpoon01

Super Tester
802 posts

No matter if you're playing IJN or USN DDs (Or the based RU Gremmy) you need to ask yourself; What is my surface detectability range and what is my firing range of guns (USN) or torps (IJN) Playing a destroyer is all about exploiting these statistics. Equally important is disabling your secondary/AAA armament by pressing P, so you aren't shooting at aircraft that can't see you. This increases your detectability range. Naturally if you are already seen by enemy aircraft you can enable your AAA again.

US DDs are all about converting your enemies to worship the Lord of Light ie HE spam them (Death by fire is the purest death) as well as protecting your team from enemy DDs and when the terrain suits you, setting up an ambush on passing ships. (EG the valley on Two Brothers or the western area of Big Race)

I could go on, but I'd only be paraphrasing from the Destroyer guide on http://www.worldofwarshipsguides.com/

Super Tester
2,314 posts
7,096 battles

Scrap? Seriously?

Managed to charge up against BBs and sink them with torpedoes.

Killed DDs with HE, punished IJN DD players foolish enough to get into a gin fight with me and totally messed up enemy team's game... I don't think USN DDs are scrap

Alpha Tester
372 posts
715 battles

Just be remind that USN DDs have a very fast rate if fire and it also have a better penetration the AA is also kind of good though while the IJN DDs focus on torpedoes you might need to go a bit closer to launch your Torps as wadanohara said it is easy to be dodge the gun have lower turning rate than the USN gun and lower penetration also it depends on play style on each player they all have their pros and cons.

[1NATN]
Beta Tester
192 posts
11,287 battles

During CBT I had both tier ten DD's and the US ones at the higher tiers 8,9 and 10 are beautiful to play, I was much less impressed with the IJN DD's at the same tiers (Except the Kagero, loved that thing) but my forte is guns so the US DD's suited me to the ground.

I was a bit surprised to see the example pic of a Fletcher as that beasty is one of the best ships in the game. the perfect mix of guns and torpedoes that can take down anything you come up against if driven well.

All DD's in the current game are good to play except the Mutsuki and the Farragut, tier 6 DD's are a total nightmare.

If asked to give one all important tip for driving DD's it would be "keep your eyes open" situational awareness or a lack of kills me more often than anything else.

Good thread.

Beta Tester
36 posts
1,887 battles

US Destroyers are great at anti DD roll and for harassing fire at cruisers and such. I played a battle yesterday in my nicholas and was the only ship on my team capping B point and 2 enemy Japanese DD,s tried to take it from me. One was tier 5 and other tier 6. I destroyed them both and took the cap. I ended up getting 5 kills and the team won. Was an awsome match.

Super Tester
2,314 posts
7,096 battles

Speaking of which, despite being AFK earlier for half the match and enemy capped 50% of our base, my Nick pretty much trashed 4 ships ranging from full HP to dying HP in quick succession. Pretty much bought much needed time for the team to regroup