You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
scommy

Level 3 Japanese battleship problems

24 comments in this topic

71 posts
4,020 battles

Hi

I am really enjoying this game - destroyers and cruisers are a blast.

However I am having problems with the L3 Japan battleship Kawachi. This ship seems vulnerable to pretty much everything. Yet its damage output is mediocre. The slow rate of fire makes a miss really painful. It constantly catches fire and dies very easily. To top it all off I cant win a game with this ship.

Is there anything I can do?

Beta Tester
506 posts
1,386 battles

Hi

However I am having problems with the L3 Japan battleship Kawachi. This ship seems vulnerable to pretty much everything. Yet its damage output is mediocre. The slow rate of fire makes a miss really painful. It constantly catches fire and dies very easily. To top it all off I cant win a game with this ship.

Play with bots until you understand how to play in that particular battleship. Kawachi isn't exactly newbie friendly. :teethhappy:

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

Tier 3, if you really think it's bad, you can get through it very quickly anyway.

But so many people seems to talk _____ about the Kawachi. I Strongly disagree.

It's very good - Faster than the South Carolina, 6 gun turret placed oddly yet allowing the flexibility to engage enemies at another side, and it's armor is quite good for it's tier.

Also, My experience with the accuracy is not as bad as many thought. It's still very punchy once you land any hits on any cruisers - including the infamous St. Louis. You have 4 guns each side that can fire - Surely if you aimed well one of them will hit and thats all it take to do an instant 9000 damage.

As for fire, choose the Reduce fire chance skill - it helps a lot in my personal experience. Also, try to conserve the repair kit until necessary. Is it necessary to pop it instantly after a single fire when you are still engaging enemy?

Hope that helps :)

13 posts

I just unlocked this ship and don't like it one bit. The biggest problem is the range. In order to do damage have to get really close and then everything start shooting at me. It will be a real grind to get past it.

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,155 battles

Play with bots until you understand how to play in that particular battleship. Kawachi isn't exactly newbie friendly. :teethhappy:

Not just newbies... Many people say that Kawachi is the worst battleship in the game.

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,155 battles

I just unlocked this ship and don't like it one bit. The biggest problem is the range. In order to do damage have to get really close and then everything start shooting at me. It will be a real grind to get past it.

The best way to put Kawachi to good use is to... Find an island where you think the enemy must past through, get there and ambush them. Kawachi is a perfect short range brawler. But don't do that with ship that has torps. :D:D

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

If you hate it I bet you hate the Myogi even more mate.

Adopt to it. BBs are not the Invincible ships like what you think about them. Yamato, for example is nowhere near as effective as you think it might be IRL as well and also in this game.

Edited by Alvin1020

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

Not just newbies... Many people say that Kawachi is the worst battleship in the game.

I'd say the South Carolina is worse.

Adopt to it. BBs are not the Invincible ships like what you think about them. Yamato, for example is nowhere near as effective as you think it might be IRL as well and also in this game.

Actually, I get much better results with the Myogi than Kawachi. You just need to know how to aim your shots, because you have less guns. Ofcourse less guns, but those are Big guns (atleast for tier4), so you should be able to pen enemy BB Citadel more often than those 12-inch or 305mm. Last but not least, she's FAST, and she has AA, use those advantages.

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

Actually, I get much better results with the Myogi than Kawachi. You just need to know how to aim your shots, because you have less guns. Ofcourse less guns, but those are Big guns (atleast for tier4), so you should be able to pen enemy BB Citadel more often than those 12-inch or 305mm. Last but not least, she's FAST, and she has AA, use those advantages.

I didn't say Myogi is crap. I liked it's gun as well, but I don't like it's weak armor being a Battlecruiser in nature.

Super Tester
2,725 posts

Hi

Guess he needs tips.

For Kawachi & other Battleships:

- Use HE shells at your maximum range on any target.

- Use AP shells on Battleships & Cruisers at medium & short range target BUT use HE shells on Carriers & Destroyers at any range.

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

I didn't say Myogi is crap. I liked it's gun as well, but I don't like it's weak armor being a Battlecruiser in nature.

It works fine for me, because I always angle my armor towards the enemy, only expose my broadside at minimum to fire my shots.

That is, until something bigger than 14-inch caliber shoots at me, then the armor wouldn't really work.

Beta Tester
773 posts
796 battles

Hi

Play PvE to get through the grind.  The payoffs are lower but it's less painful.  Either way, the Kawachi is garbage.  Get past it and be thankful you didn't have to grind it more than once like some of us did.

He didn't say a word about invincibility.  He quite rightly complained about the Kawachi's appalling range.  It has to get up close to hit anything but just about every ship it will see is faster and will HE spam it.  It has no redeeming features whatsoever.

Edited by Potoroo

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

He didn't say a word about invincibility.  He quite rightly complained about the Kawachi's appalling range.  It has to get up close to hit anything but just about every ship it will see is faster and will HE spam it.  It has no redeeming features whatsoever.

The IRL odd but in game Fantastic Turret placement, Good armor, Faster than the SC, Good ROF.

Beta Tester
773 posts
796 battles

The IRL odd but in game Fantastic Turret placement, Good armor, Faster than the SC, Good ROF.

1.8rpm is not a good RoF, it's typical BB (in fact it's slower than the Sth Carolina; 2rpm), and after your salvo has straddled your target the enemy will shred you with HE.  Of course, that's assuming anything is silly enough to let you get within 9.8km in the first place at your miserable 20.4kts.  It might be 2 kts faster than the Sth Carolina but that has more range, better armour (not that that's saying much), better RoF and hits harder.
Edited by Potoroo

Alpha Tester
523 posts
217 battles

People try to defend the Kawachi? That thing is objectively worse than the tier 3 cruisers... The guns are so godawful that most people I know consider it to be an XP pinata, just sit out at 10km and rek them, while laughing at their badness.

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

People try to defend the Kawachi? That thing is objectively worse than the tier 3 cruisers... The guns are so godawful that most people I know consider it to be an XP pinata, just sit out at 10km and rek them, while laughing at their badness.

Is it THAT bad? Sure along with the SC both aren't that Great, but these two are not like AMX40 Bad.

1.8rpm is not a good RoF, it's typical BB (in fact it's slower than the Sth Carolina; 2rpm), and after your salvo has straddled your target the enemy will shred you with HE.  Of course, that's assuming anything is silly enough to let you get within 9.8km in the first place at your miserable 20.4kts.  It might be 2 kts faster than the Sth Carolina but that has more range, better armour (not that that's saying much), better RoF and hits harder.

It's 2 RPM with the upgraded Hull. Also, People always only consider 1v1 - Of course St Louis will burn you alive that way. You have teammates to cover you as well.

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

Atleast it is just as bad as the South Carolina :hiding:

Alpha Tester
523 posts
217 battles

Is it THAT bad? Sure along with the SC both aren't that Great, but these two are not like AMX40 Bad.

It's 2 RPM with the upgraded Hull. Also, People always only consider 1v1 - Of course St Louis will burn you alive that way. You have teammates to cover you as well.

Yes, yes it is. Cannot shoot back at St Louis, can barely hit Tenryu at any range, and that has torps. 

The point of course being that a BB should not lose a 1v1 to a cruiser. And remember, that cruiser can get into a fight with your team and win or lose that long before you get into gun range. If they win, then its a 1v1 again, if they lose, then you may as well not have been there. It would be fine if Kawachi only saw the little maps, and was mostly top tier, but the player population is skewed towards tier 4-5 right now, so it gets dumped in the big maps with the big boats pretty frequently. 

71 posts
4,020 battles

Thanks for the replies all.

I burned my free XP to get to the Myogi.  Then in the Myogi I had the situation where a lone destroyer chased me across the entire map. At ranges from 6km down to 3 km, my 2 rear turrets simply could not hit the DD. 10 rounds of shooting missed. The shots just went wild, even I was running straight not turning as firing. 

Is this normal? Because if it is I am done with this game. Frankly that is just retarded, a BB cant hit a DD at that range.

Beta Tester
773 posts
796 battles

Thanks for the replies all.

I burned my free XP to get to the Myogi.  Then in the Myogi I had the situation where a lone destroyer chased me across the entire map. At ranges from 6km down to 3 km, my 2 rear turrets simply could not hit the DD. 10 rounds of shooting missed. The shots just went wild, even I was running straight not turning as firing. 

Is this normal? Because if it is I am done with this game. Frankly that is just retarded, a BB cant hit a DD at that range.

Working as intended.

14 posts
517 battles

Kawachi is ok, only draw back on the firing range, u need to use island as cover to move close to your target. the ship have a lot of guns which make it a monster when move in firing range.

After move to Myogi, this ship have huge firing range improvement compare to kawachi, but the ship only have 6 guns, and the accuracy is........ :unsure: overall, i prefer Wyoming more compare to Myogi

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,921 battles

Kawachi is ok, only draw back on the firing range, u need to use island as cover to move close to your target. the ship have a lot of guns which make it a monster when move in firing range.

After move to Myogi, this ship have huge firing range improvement compare to kawachi, but the ship only have 6 guns, and the accuracy is........ :unsure: overall, i prefer Wyoming more compare to Myogi

Kawachi is better than South Carolina due to having more flexibility with its guns (having wing turrets and all), it also has better secondaries and a faster top speed, whats not to love about it?

Myogi and Wyoming are both surprisingly good in their own rights, both have decent AA for their tier, 

Wyoming as lots of guns, which makes her great for killing cruisers, and even destroyers as caliber size (12 vs 14 inch) isn't as important as the volume of large caliber fire you pour downrange on DD's and cruisers. Its also a close quarter brawler with other BB's and will always do a good amount of damage.

Myogi is more like a Heavily armored Cruiser in gameplay, essentially a battlecruiser to be exact. She has good top speed, powerful and long ranged guns and has fairly decent secondaries to deal with any chips that get too close (only a small compensation for the lack on main guns). She is more of a frontline support ship, pouring long range fire (practice makes perfect) on enemy BB's (they are slow and big targets) or Cruisers if you are confident. Use her to bully cruisers from outside their range and though some people don't think range is important, with practice you will land hits, even with the 6 guns you have, I have 1 shotted full health Kumas and Phoenixs  (Citadel ships lol) at long rang (15km+) down to practice (And yes luck and RNG)

Edited by Blitzkreig95

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

Myogi is very fast - As for accuracy, I don't see any problem on hitting a target >8km. Under that is a bit of RNG but still pack-a-punch. It's AA is decent enough to defend her from Tier 4 CV, as well.

Wyoming is just way too slow and the poor firing range makes it better suited as a "Defensive" weapon rather than leading the charge like the Myogi.

It's still a great ship, though.

Beta Tester
773 posts
796 battles

I'll take the Wyoming over Myogi any day of the week.  It's got better armour, is more maneuverable, has more AA and, most importantly, RNGesus ensures that 12 main guns beats 6 main guns every time.