Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
antares031

Isn't 20 minutes for a battle too short?

21 comments in this topic

17 posts
1,580 battles

I've counted numerous draws because the enemy aircraft carrier was keep crawling around the corner of blue line, making me harder to hit with my torpedo bombers. But, most of the times, I could win the battle if had 5 more minutes, then our team could capture the base or enemy carrier just sank thanks to the fire or flooding. The enemy carrier, when his teammates are all gone, will keep humping the blue line to make the game draw, nonetheless.

Getting draw while our team was obviously winning the game is definitely frustrating, especially because of that wall-humping carriers. It would be great if we have more time for a match, maybe 10 more minutes. It would be cool if they block the blue-line cheat, but it seems like the dev. team doesn't give a s*** about it. That's a tragedy. :(

Super Tester
2,314 posts
7,094 battles

IMO, 20 minutes is just nice. I don't want it to drag any longer more so if the last surviving ships are the slow ships. 

Yes draws are frustrating but sometimes it's satisfying knowing that you denied a win for the enemy.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

It's frustrating, sure. But if you can't end a game by 20 minutes, another 5 minutes won't make a difference.

Frankly speaking, players spend too much time being afraid to advance, hanging back, sticking near the corners of the map instead of cutting in through the central zones. I've had my New York/New Mexico manage to traverse the map faster than some cruisers, simply because they chose to take the long way around to avoid taking any fire whatsoever. So by the time one team decides to advance, maybe 7-10 minutes are gone. Whereas if the team chose to advance right from the start, they could be halfway across the map and fighting decisively in the same amount of time, and have battles resolved with a relatively clear victor by 15 minutes.

The other major time waster iswhen one side gains an advantage against each other, they tend to forget the map objectives and instead charge in looking for exp, getting hits and kills, and chasing after clearly fleeing enemy ships. I've had so many instances where I had to rein in teammates, or fruitlessly call them back in to capture bases and play objectives instead of going after kills. I just had a match in my NM end with 30 seconds left on a clock due to a lucky kill by me, because instead of staying on the cap zone, two of our cruisers decide to charge away and run after a fleeing enemy Pensacola, resulting in one of the other members of their team managing to reset the cap and prolonging the match. This was despite people in chat warning about the remaining time and calling them, by name, to get on the capture zone to help capture faster/prevent the enemy battleship from resetting. One thing I've suggested, and I hope is implemented, is for the map timer to be made much larger on the UI, but I suspect that people are still going to tunnelvision nonetheless.

Not to mention, apparently WG tried 25-30 minutes, but players complained it was boring and hence we're down to 20. Draws suck, sure. But honestly, there's sufficient time in 20 minutes to win or lose a match, and if there isn't, look very closely at the player decisions that result in a draw occurring.

Edited by Syanda

17 posts
1,580 battles

IMO, 20 minutes is just nice. I don't want it to drag any longer more so if the last surviving ships are the slow ships. 

Yes draws are frustrating but sometimes it's satisfying knowing that you denied a win for the enemy.

I hope it happens to me one day. Sadly, most of the times, they managed to deny a win for us :s

It's frustrating, sure. But if you can't end a game by 20 minutes, another 5 minutes won't make a difference.

Frankly speaking, players spend too much time being afraid to advance, hanging back, sticking near the corners of the map instead of cutting in through the central zones. I've had my New York/New Mexico manage to traverse the map faster than some cruisers, simply because they chose to take the long way around to avoid taking any fire whatsoever. So by the time one team decides to advance, maybe 7-10 minutes are gone. Whereas if the team chose to advance right from the start, they could be halfway across the map and fighting decisively in the same amount of time, and have battles resolved with a relatively clear victor by 15 minutes.

The other major time waster iswhen one side gains an advantage against each other, they tend to forget the map objectives and instead charge in looking for exp, getting hits and kills, and chasing after clearly fleeing enemy ships. I've had so many instances where I had to rein in teammates, or fruitlessly call them back in to capture bases and play objectives instead of going after kills. I just had a match in my NM end with 30 seconds left on a clock due to a lucky kill by me, because instead of staying on the cap zone, two of our cruisers decide to charge away and run after a fleeing enemy Pensacola, resulting in one of the other members of their team managing to reset the cap and prolonging the match. This was despite people in chat warning about the remaining time and calling them, by name, to get on the capture zone to help capture faster/prevent the enemy battleship from resetting. One thing I've suggested, and I hope is implemented, is for the map timer to be made much larger on the UI, but I suspect that people are still going to tunnelvision nonetheless.

Not to mention, apparently WG tried 25-30 minutes, but players complained it was boring and hence we're down to 20. Draws suck, sure. But honestly, there's sufficient time in 20 minutes to win or lose a match, and if there isn't, look very closely at the player decisions that result in a draw occurring.

In my experience, I was playing North with standard battle and both teams went defensive strategy. And our team finally scored first blood after ten and a half minutes are gone. More than a half of ships are survived until we draw the match. And speaking of UI, It would be good if there's sound effect of announcer, indicating how much time is left like "The battle ends in five minutes!". I'm tired of reminding our teammates that time is running out.

Since they tried 25~30 minutes before and players found that this is boring, there's no option for me I guess.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

I hope it happens to me one day. Sadly, most of the times, they managed to deny a win for us :s

In my experience, I was playing North with standard battle and both teams went defensive strategy. And our team finally scored first blood after ten and a half minutes are gone. More than a half of ships are survived until we draw the match. And speaking of UI, It would be good if there's sound effect of announcer, indicating how much time is left like "The battle ends in five minutes!". I'm tired of reminding our teammates that time is running out.

Since they tried 25~30 minutes before and players found that this is boring, there's no option for me I guess.

Unlike in NF, WoWS map in high tier is way bigger than that

and the Spotting mechanic and FCS  are different as well (Harder to hit, Except with torpedoes)

17 posts
1,580 battles

Unlike in NF, WoWS map in high tier is way bigger than that

and the Spotting mechanic and FCS  are different as well (Harder to hit, Except with torpedoes)

Right, NF and WoWS are totally different game. But, at least NF has a solution to side-crawling, which is called "No way out".

Plus, they determine the winning team based on the total attack points of team members, leaving no draw matches.

Edited by antares031

Beta Tester
140 posts
740 battles

and +10 more minutes means +50% more gameplay time to tier progression... which you wouldn't want either! :teethhappy:

Alpha Tester
982 posts

20 minutes is far from perfect but I don't see longer battles working. This is fresh off my most epic battle in my DD last night that was a draw because we couldn't chase down the last enemy CA before time ran out :angry:

Already in Alpha Testers
300 posts
938 battles

I had a draw recently which rates as one of the hardest fought battle I have ever had. Both teams were evenly matched and played well. The lead fluctuated many times, with each team at times having the momentum only for the other team to fight back hard. In the end it was two very beat up CA's versus what I think was an undamaged CV. We (i.e. the CA's) made it to the cap circle and only got it to about 75% capped when time ran out, which was a pretty disappointing final result. Maybe it could be argued that a draw was an appropriate result but in the end my team held the advantage and really did not deserve to essentially lose.

I thought occurred to me that capping should get easier as the match wears on so that capping in the last couple of minutes of a battle should be quite quick.

679 posts
3,488 battles

I thought occurred to me that capping should get easier as the match wears on so that capping in the last couple of minutes of a battle should be quite quick.

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

Was that during Alpha because i do not remember them ever attempting a longer game timer?

I still stand by my claims that draws only happen in standard battles and 90% of those draws would never happen if there was another 5 minutes on the clock.

Heck i have multiple examples of replays from games that would not have been draws if the game timer was just a couple minutes longer,

http://www.mediafire.com/download/jjd9hp9b1gss7c9/20150715_210408_PASC007-Cleveland-1945_17_NA_fault_line.wowsreplay

http://www.mediafire.com/download/psj5x567afjdvje/20150715_212705_PASC007-Cleveland-1945_17_NA_fault_line.wowsreplay

I have yet to be given one example of a game where it would have been a draw no matter what though, i can not find one in my draw folder either. 

Edited by Fear_the_Reaper

5 posts
30 battles

20 minutes per game is enough for lower tier match as many times both teams will rush up and the battle will end relatively quick. And actually the chances of getting draws are not that high, so I think 20 minutes per game is suitable for now.

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

20 minutes per game is enough for lower tier match as many times both teams will rush up and the battle will end relatively quick. And actually the chances of getting draws are not that high, so I think 20 minutes per game is suitable for now.

its 10% of games for me, and considering they only happen in standard battles that number is actually closer to 30% (this is in tier 6-8 ships) so in my opinion it is a huge problem at the moment. 

Alpha Tester
7 posts
294 battles

I agree with you guy that 20' is alright now, but apparently draw rate is a bit high for me(10%). I think the problem is that people take too much time to finish the battle, like in Wot you can have a match that end in 5' and most others will end in 10', but in WOWS 5-10 in and you may not even see the enemy ship. At the start of the game DD may sneaking around, but BB are just too slow and they not always go right for the flank, they just hanging around see what side other BB go, CAs may fast but they have to turn back and protect allies from incoming air strike. In the other hand, extent the time limit will slow down game progression and it is already ways too slow  in WOWS compare too WOT, I remember when WoT was OB, people were able to get to tier X in a week or two. Maybe I have to get used it and hope devs can somehow improve it overtime.

Edited by TheBlackYuri

1 post
423 battles

Too much draws. >10% and its not normal. 5-7% is ok but every 10th game is a draw. Its frustrating. 2/3 of my draws just because we run out of time before killing last cv. This looks stupid when 2-4s ships chasing 1 dd or cv who is in the farthest corner and even no time to capture the base. I bet 5 more min will decrease % of draws to 5% which is good.

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

Make it 30 minutes and the same gutless clowns who allow draws even when they have significant advantages in numbers/power will simply spend another 10 minutes doing nothing.

Beta Tester
43 posts
156 battles

I myself would no wish to be sitting infront of my monitor for more than 20 minutes prior to battle time looking at lush green hills and nice ocean views just to screw up my eye sight, and the fact i wouldn't want to spend my time going from this side of the map to the other playing Destroyer and U-Boat should be good enough..

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Now, feel pity to whoever get destroyed first that must wait 15 to 25 minutes to get their ship back to port (prematurely)

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

Right, NF and WoWS are totally different game. But, at least NF has a solution to side-crawling, which is called "No way out".

Plus, they determine the winning team based on the total attack points of team members, leaving no draw matches.

You are right but mate what your NF IGN? Also I argree to extend the time due to multiple draws went to chase enemy flattops if not too late to cap -.-.

Sign in to follow this