You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

12 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
98 posts
67 battles

Chinese Protected Cruiser

肇和 Chao Ho

10h3p92.jpg

Specifications:

Class/Type: Chao Ho Class Protected Cruiser

Displacement: 2750 tons
Length: 105.5 meters

Breadth: 13 meters

No of shafts: 3

Engine: 4 Cylindrical and 4 Yarrow Boilers

Power: 6000 h.p.

Top speed: 20 knots (37 km/h)

Armament:

2 - 152 mm/6 inch Guns
4 - 102 mm/4 inch Guns
4 - 76 mm/3 inch Guns
6 - 47 mm/2 inch Guns
2 - 37 mm/1 inch AA Guns
2 - 450 mm/18 inch Torpedo Tubes

Armour:

Deck:19 - 25 mm

Conning tower: 76 mm

Info:

Protected Cruiser Chao Ho was built at Armstrong Whitworth where she was laid down on 7th October 1910, launched on 23rd October 1911 and finally completed on 21st February 1912. The name Chao Ho, 肇和, means 'Harmonious Beginnings'. She's part of the Seven Year Modernization program where the Qing Dynasty built battleships, cruisers and destroyers to boaster the naval power.

Chao Ho was quickly captured by the rebels in December 1915 and mostly used to bombard the positions of the other rebel groups during the Warlord Era. In December 1923, Zhili Clique Warlord Wu Peifu representing the Beiyang Government bribed half of the Chinese Navy into his service including the Chao Ho where they were used guard the naval base of Qingdao. After the Zhili Clique's defeat during the Second Zhili–Fengtian War, control of Qingdao and its fleet passed to the Manchurian warlord Zhang Zuolin of the Fengtian clique. The collection of ships have become known as had gone into disrepair, many unable to exceed 10 knots. Zhang, who had always been close politically to the Empire of Japan had the Chao Ho and the rest of his fleet refitted by Japanese engineers in 1927.

In 1927, the Kuomintang Government of the Republic of China, led by Generalissimo Chiang Kai-Shek launched his decisiveNorthern Expedition to finally bring the Northern Chinese warlords under his heel. While commanding his newly formed and trained National Revolutionary Army, the Kuomintang had little in the way of a navy after the mass defection of 1923. Throughout 1927 the newly refitted Chao Ho made several sorties to bombard the Nationalist naval fortifications at Wusongoff the coast of Shanghai and participated in the brief occupation of the island of Kinmen off the coast of Xiamen in May 1928. After months of hard fighting, the Kuomintang eventually defeated the Warlord cliques after capturing Beijing in 1928. The fleeing Zhang was assassinated when the train he was in was blown up by Japanese officers of the Kwangtung Army to punish him for his failures in defeating Chiang. His son,Zhang Xueliang then pledged allegiance to Chiang Kai-Shek and the Kuomintang government. The former Beiyang Governments North East Fleet was reintegrated into the Republic of China Navy. In 1930 two QF 2 pounders anti-aircraft guns were added to the Chao Ho on platform at basis of the mainmast. The former North East Fleet was renamed 'Third Squadron' and remained in Qingdao.

Chao Ho was stationed at the naval fort in Bocca Tigris to guard the city of Guangzhou and the entrance to the Pearl River when Beijing and Tianjin were captured. On 14 September 1937. The Chao Ho and the Hai Chow engaged the Japanese cruiser Yubari and three destroyers. The Japanese ships were forced to retreat with the aide of the Bocca Tigris' forts land based artillery but both ships where damaged. After this set back Japan sent the aircraft carriers Ryujo and Hosho against the forts and ships at the mouth of the Pearl River as part of a larger strategic bombing campaign against the Pearl River Delta and the city of Guangzhou, the fortifications and ports were heavily bombed. On 30 September 1937 Chao Ho was sunk by Japanese aircraft of the Imperial Japanese Navy Air Service.

Fate:
Scrapped

30 September 1937

After reading back, I can already sense that there are tons of mistakes that I might not noticed. So dear historians and warships experts, do tell if there's any inaccuracy or something to add or point out. Don't want to spread the wrong info in the historical section now, would we?

Edited by Subete_Yoi

Beta Tester
98 posts
67 battles

It was a very nice read, IDK, you start to make me get interested about da chinese Warships

Thanks, the Chinese had quite a number of ships mostly cruisers and gunboats.

Alpha Tester
36 posts
4,662 battles

China ordered 3 Chao-ho class cruisers. Chao-ho was built by Armstrong Whitworth, and a second ship, Ying Swei (應瑞, Propitious Promise) was built by Vickers. The third one, Fei-hung (飛鴻, Flying Swan) was ordered to build in New York Shipbuilding, but later sold to Greece since China government had no money to pay for it. They are based on design of HMS Topaze class cruisers. Ying Swei was also sunk by Japanese aircraft earlier. Fei-hung, renamed to Elli by Greek navy, was torpedoed by Italian submarine in 1940.

I think this can be Tier 2 cruiser once Chinese ships join the game.

Edited by YorkWu1025

Super Tester
516 posts
5,751 battles

WG said that they are going to release chinese tree, but  i bet its going to be premium only......

Edited by yukionfire

1,065 posts
2,628 battles

A third party site posted a pretty long Q&A and one of the answers were:

Q: Will there be new Chinese ships? And how about the Asian line?

A: Asian line will mainly consist of destroyers, 2-3 CL and 1-2 CA might be added. The cruiser Chung King (former HMS Aurora) is almost completed, it probably will be the next Chinese premium ship.

I don't know how the Royal Navy fans would feel if this this ship released before the actual RN cruisers. :D

It also mentioned the possibility of incomplete ship lines in the future, so we'll see what happens once all major world fleets are introduced in the next few years. :popcorn:

Edited by EnochIsHere

22 posts
151 battles

The Qing actually had amassed a very large and modern navy prior to the First Sino-Japanese war in 1894.

Not only was it the largest, and most modern navy in Asia (including the Ottoman Empire) but also larger than most European navies.

This wasn't really much of an achievement though as all the ships were purchased from the British and Germans, a small matter for the Qing given China's considerable economic wealth at the time.

In contrast the IJN was far smaller (though equally modern). But the IJN was competently led, whereas the Qing navy made the Italians in WWII look like MLG pros.

Alpha Tester
73 posts
284 battles

Lol, this thread made me laugh. All I could think about was Russian Navy!!! Thanks for the necro.

Edit: Sorry just to be clear thanks to the OP it was a read I had missed. It was the subsequent comments that made me laugh.

Dan

Edited by DanLBob