You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
elodea

HE shells not doing damage

12 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
35 posts
1,224 battles

I thought these were supposed to always do damage?  Why do i sometimes get x hits but no damage, or critical hit but no damage?

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Hey Elodea, please check out the thread on damage mechanics in the Newcomer's forum.

The short answer is that HE shells hitting the armour belt, or already-destroyed sections, will not deal any damage.

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

HE shells need to penetrate to deal damage.

If your shell doesn't do damage, it either struck a heavily armored part of enemy ship, or the shell doesn't have enough penetration, or both.

Destroyer firing HE against belt armor of Battleship is one example. You should be firing at their superstructure instead.

EDIT: got ninja-ed :hiding:

Edited by Gezeiten_Heimatwelt

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

that critical damage with 0 damage is explained by mods as near miss hit. the shock wave from the explosion knocks the module but it deal no damage.

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,834 posts
4,134 battles

You should speak to the next poor bloke I pump over 100 HE shell into with my Omaha.  He can attest to the fact they do damage.  Falling HE shot on a superstructure or deck makes nice fireworks,

Beta Tester
35 posts
1,224 battles

hrm.

Now i aim at the superstructure, but after hitting it a few times it doesn't do damage anymore?  The shells are all plunging onto the castle.  I aim at different part of the superstructure and it starts to do some damage again, but then same story.  End up having no superstructure left on the ship i can hit to yield damage.

What to do?... :(  Run away?  Can wait a bit and hit his superstructure later to do damage?  Or is he invulnerable to damage for rest of game?

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

when using HE against bb always aim higher so your shell will guarantee to hit superstructure,  and just aim at the same level as the water line when targeting soft target like DD and cruiser.

Beta Tester
35 posts
1,224 battles

when using HE against bb always aim higher so your shell will guarantee to hit superstructure,  and just aim at the same level as the water line when targeting soft target like DD and cruiser.

yes, i am hitting the super structure but no dmg.

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

each element of the ship has a finite amount of damage that can be done by HE.

Once you reach that limit then no more damage will be taken from HE rounds and you will have to change to AP.

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

each element of the ship has a finite amount of damage that can be done by HE.

Once you reach that limit then no more damage will be taken from HE rounds and you will have to change to AP.

wow i didn't know that one. so that's the reason why the first few salvo of HE have lots of damage but started to do less as the target hp goes low...