You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
EvyL

the N class destroyer

8 comments in this topic

Super Tester
1,677 posts

thanks to dead man walking for this one although I admit that there are a few bits of info I can run with. a bit strange to find why the Kiwis don't have notable sheep. I will say this though in embarrassment, as I was looking for the N class using wiki as my springboard, I somehow ended up looking at HMAS Vampire although I'm still contemplating if she's gud4lulzwrite.

now the destroyer is considered THE most cheap ass ship they can build and when I mean cheap, they don't spend a crapton of stuff to cram into the ship such as torpedo bulges, reinforced bulkheads, heavier MADs (main armored deck) or more potent dakka, a destroyer basically is a fast ass ship packing torpedo tubes, guns for dual purpose use (on later ships) and hax speed that can serve as the first wave. there's a reason why the destroyer is considered the workhorse of the navy and there are plenty for its use. the Brits were capital ship lovers and they had some of the most notorious ships of their time. capital ships aside, they also had their workhorses although there were some lulz that happened there, more of a certain the entire "borrowing" of some of the said workhorses.

2w1t948.jpg

I present to you the J, K and N class destroyer although IMHO, they are just one class belonging to the J class with the N class a 'slight' deviation. seriously, dafuq RN. u so confusing. but we're going to focus on the N class so that's that.

in APAC, the Australians got a couple of these under strange intentions that I can... err... word out like this: "well we need to strengthen both Australia and New Zealand in terms of naval potency... I know! lets give them a couple of ships for their use that they will use and own but are still technically ours so they can have more naval projection! this is the best plan ever!".

20u78mv.jpg

(note that even she's in Polish hands, there's no doubt that she's still an N class DD, deal with it)

the N class were just basically a couple of slightly souped up J class destroyers that had the "N" in their names from what I can read. a couple went to the Dutch, one ended with the Poles and most of them ended up in RAN service and were utilized. this destroyer class was one of the more solid UK destroyer designs and had served their keep. if its predecessor the Tribal class (and yes, the RAN had some of these as well) overshot the prominence of dakka over torpedoes, then this class had the more potent torpedoes with default dakka. a typical N class should have about at least 1800 tonnes for weight although 2k-ish full load, six 4.7 inch guns on dual mount turrets,a single 4 inch gun, some 40mm Pom Poms, 20mm Oerlikons and 12.7 HMG's for secondaries and AA suites. one of the more stranger parts is that sometimes some of them they removed the 4 inch gun and added a couple more AA guns to contribute to the AA suite.

it ain't really that surprising when the Brits 'borrowed' some N class from the Aussies to serve as additional assets to the European Royal Navy. hell, these things reached Madagascar! but even so, the N class have seen the wideness of the Atlantic and Pacific oceans again and again (just be thankful these DD's did NOT join the great game of "pin the depth charge on the U-boat in the Atlantic" since they were juggled in between Europe and APAC to serve as RN assets). of course after the war the DD's were 'collected' by the Brits after they were decommissioned (lolwatwai) and scrapped eventually in British hands although I get this feeling the Aussies were intent on preserving some of them had they not been 'asked' for by the Brits under the whole "because they are our sheeps so gib dem back". one ship... didn't really make it, and it was the HMAS Nestor (G02) and this destroyer... never actually saw her crew's homeland waters for a long while since she was stuck in Europe, or at the time of her loss, in the Mediterranean as an asset to the Royal Navy. she was camping around at Crete when Italian bombers started their run with the AA crew going "OH SHI-" right before a bomb found her way right into the deck and blasted right through right in the boiler so technically, she was dead in the water. her colleague, a J class destroyer HMS Javelin, tried to tow her to a shipyard but she was deemed too messed up and had flooded way too quickly and was to be scuttled (note that you only need to scuttle a ship when she's too FUBAR from external stuff such as too much damage, to prevent capture or have what you. what did you think would happen if they abandoned ship and left it there? free sheep, thats what) after the crew transferred to the Javelin.

although I found the UK-AU relation ship a bit strange because of the whole "bro can I borrow your ship? since its mine I know you won't mind, right?" in regards to the N class destroyers and some ships I do not remotely know, this DD class is still a reasonable workhorse of a ship.

in-game wise should the N class be that or might have a certain N class premium ship, I'm guessing she'll be a more beefy DD thats an anti-ship DD since the US DD's are DD killers and IJN are pure-on ship killers but I think its going to give some Aussies a tiny crack of a smile to know that the N class ensign can be replaced with a RAN ensign for glorious cosmetics.

I think I derped this one as horrible as I can.

that is all.

Edited by EvyL

Super Tester
1,677 posts

One of the reasons I love this class so much is a family history.

Great Uncle served on Nestor and then Nizam.

figures although I get this feeling once the RN cometh, you are going straight into the DD line, grabbing the N class and keeping her in your port XD

but its a shame on Nestor though, she got whacked from the air and was scuttled. at least your great uncle wasn't there when that happened, I hope.

gonna roll with the William Porter sooner or later.

Edited by EvyL

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

figures although I get this feeling once the RN cometh, you are going straight into the DD line, grabbing the N class and keeping her in your port XD

but its a shame on Nestor though, she got whacked from the air and was scuttled. at least your great uncle wasn't there when that happened, I hope.

gonna roll with the William Porter sooner or later.

Runs in the family lol

Great Uncle - N class WW2,

Uncle - Daring Class Korea/Vietnam

Me - see sig ;)

[ANZMC]
3 posts
3,614 battles

What a small world, my Grandfather served on the Nestor... apparently he had a lot to do with ensuring the crew survival during its initial attack and apparently also swam a very long way to raise an alarm so the story goes.

The Nestor was also involved in the hunt for the Bismark and very nearly came close herself.

I believe my grandfather is 4th from the right back row with the smoke. - Survivors with the Bell from H.M.A.S Nestor GO2

archives0379%20Survivors%201_zpstsotttet

4758171102_eb3679ea53_b_zpsnotdlzsl.jpg.

images_zpsfzfaphvq.jpg.html?filters%5Bus