You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

Naming your own ship?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Should WG add the ability to name the ships you buy?

48 comments in this topic

12 posts
510 battles

Should War Gaming give us the chance to name our newly bought ships?

After all, the ships themselves have a character of their own and it makes for some interesting rivalries in the game

Edited by matthew41796

Alpha Tester
105 posts
428 battles

What I'm guessing would be a practical approach would be being able to re-name your ship to any historical name (whether real or just planned) that was in the class. So you could for example, have your Iowa be renamed to Missouri, your Kongo to Hiei, etc.

A "just rename it however you want" would just be rather confusing for name recognition and prone to abuse. Unless the nickname you pick won't show up for other players and would just appear in your HUD... I guess?

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

What I'm guessing would be a practical approach would be being able to re-name your ship to any historical name (whether real or just planned) that was in the class. So you could for example, have your Iowa be renamed to Missouri, your Kongo to Hiei, etc.

A "just rename it however you want" would just be rather confusing for name recognition and prone to abuse. Unless the nickname you pick won't show up for other players and would just appear in your HUD... I guess?

No, it doesn't need to appear at enemy ship Icon

or at least it just appear when you  press Alt and in Loading Screen

22 posts
417 battles

There'd be no point to that, I think, since the ship classes are already names unto themselves, but to help prevent abuse, I suppose they could make it purchasable only with doubloons.

Alpha Tester
266 posts
3,486 battles

yes so I can play as "Maine" or "Louisiana" with the Montana

and "Wisconsin" with the Iowa

Problem tho... There's an Essex-class carrier named as Lexington too. dem USN "Necromancy" skills :D

12 posts
510 battles

I mean playing a game gets a bit flat lined when ALL i can see are ship classes :|

like all i could see one game were South Carolinas... its like the ships were cloned or something

Alpha Tester
105 posts
428 battles

I'm renaming all my ships to [REDACTED] so they'll be classified and people can't see them at a glance. Huehue

Top Secret. Eyes Only. Confidential.

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

If we can name ships, I suspect we will en up with   POI in every other ship names LOL.........................

Alpha Tester
105 posts
428 battles

If we can name ships, I suspect we will en up with   POI in every other ship names LOL.........................

And now we come to the REAL reason I don't support this idea. :hiding:

12 posts
510 battles

maybe a format like

'Class' - 'ship name' when you press ALT would work

or maybe the Class is replaced by the ship name when you press ALT

That way, it cant really be abused

maybe there could be a limit on the amount of characters you could use

Edited by matthew41796

22 posts
417 battles

It could work like this, when you press ALT:

[name] - [class] - [type]

So it would appear as:

"IJN Everlasting Glorious Imperial Crysanthemum - Wakatake-class DD"

Which makes me think, maybe a character limit is in order.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

I like the idea, but I'm in favour of restricting it to historical names each class had. There's too much potential of abuse if you allow people free reign to name their ships. We already have enough issues with potentially-offensive account names, giving free reign to ship naming as well...

22 posts
417 battles

I like the idea, but I'm in favour of restricting it to historical names each class had. There's too much potential of abuse if you allow people free reign to name their ships. We already have enough issues with potentially-offensive account names, giving free reign to ship naming as well...

I think doing it that way would devalue it so much it wouldn't really be worth the credits or charging for doubloons. Only 1 Taihou-class CV ever existed and the Myogi outright didn't.

Alpha Tester
105 posts
428 battles

I think doing it that way would devalue it so much it wouldn't really be worth the credits or charging for doubloons. Only 1 Taihou-class CV ever existed and the Myogi outright didn't.

You'd be surprised how fanatical some people are about their ships. I've seen people raging that "Missouri isn't in game!!!" when she really is :teethhappy: Besides, it could be a free service with an account level up. "You've reached level 9. Can now rename ship classes to specific ships in the class." Or some such.