Gorbon_Rubsay

An Illustrated guide to hitting things apart from islands with your torpedoes

23 comments in this topic

213 posts
4,335 battles

I was looking for a guide like this when I first started playing but couldn't find one, so I made it.

I am not an experienced player ~ only started with open beta but thinking like this really helped me.

I went from hitting one or two torpedoes a game to hitting 5~10. 

For this to work you need to know how your target is moving relative to you.

I do this by checking both the mini map and zooming into the target with gun sights before going to torpedo sights.

I always use the aiming guide (press x) but use it only as a reference (lead indicator). If you fire on the aiming guide you will only hit beginners

zkOZAzJ.jpg?1rp4I72C.jpg?1zNdZmp8.jpg?2BoQyGgI.jpg?1 

And one more from the comments:

Z2hByjW.jpg

And some more for anyone dorky enough...(thx amade)

Again, I'm pretty beginner at this so take the where to fire advice with a grain of salt ~ thinking this way just helped me visualize how a target moving would affect its position relative to where my torpedoes might go.  Any advice from more experienced players is welcome.

Edited by Gorbon_Rubsay

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

+1 Good for beginner DD users.

However we are of course assuming target is going at a constant speed. Things gets tricky when target accelerates or decelerates when torpedo is detected while performing a hard turn.

Also note that due to different turn radius of different ships, some adjustments has to be made for different ships, but this illustration is a good guide in how to spread your torpedoes.

P.S. Some ships only have 2 Torpedoes Racks (which makes it even harder to land hits) :P

Edited by Windforce

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Any advice from Experienced player? let's see...

Boy, DD are the hardest ship to use in this game and not counted as Light such in WoT

at low tier, DD can still spam their torpedoes in less than a minute reload time

Most newcomers will move their ship in Max Speed always except to avoid impact to other ship and island

but in high tier everything get harder as the the torpedoes start to get unreasonable Concealment range and Large increase in reload time

and many player tend to move in 3/4 speed or less and it always easier to get slower than speeding up

and another fun fact is even if your smoke hide your ship quite well, it can't Hide the launched torpedoes from spotting Planes nearby

Beta Tester
3,033 posts
1,487 battles

Fubuki is good, just not as good as the Minekaze. 

Hatsuharu can work, but that detection range. Also, love the ship and they will love you back.

1,230 posts
2,354 battles

OMG.

WHY ARE YOU NOT AN ALPHA TESTER?

Lol, he should even be in ST

Conana!! Add him in :) ragster! summon conana

edit: this thread really attract the red names

Edited by Conkhead_12

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Fubuki is good, just not as good as the Minekaze. 

Hatsuharu can work, but that detection range. Also, love the ship and they will love you back.

Mutsuki, large increase in Torp Loading time and Puny guns

Hatsuharu, Slightly slower, slightly lower Camo, Better guns but still unreliable, Slightly better Torpedoes

Fubuki, Have another 3 Torpedo Tube, Worse Camo, Worse Speed, Worse Torpedo Speed (Which mean, Avoidable), Have 15 km range of torpedoes

Beta Tester
3,033 posts
1,487 battles

She's not as bad as people make her out to be. Her stock is literal pain though.

Hatsuharu, Slightly slower, slightly lower Camo, Better guns but still unreliable, Slightly better Torpedoes

Low camo yes, but her torp speed increases. Still a pain, because everything, even Fubuki, can spot you.

Fubuki, Have another 3 Torpedo Tube, Worse Camo, Worse Speed, Worse Torpedo Speed (Which mean, Avoidable), Have 15 km range of torpedoes

Worse torp speed? Just use her 10km torpedoes. You're going to fire just outside your detection range anyway, so 15km torps are a waste. 

Worse camo? 

7km - 0.7km (mod) - 0.7km (5 point perk) = 5.6km, less than a Minekaze.

6.3km otherwise, which is still better than the Hatsuharu's 6.7km.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Harpoon01, on 22 July 2015 - 03:33 PM, said:

She's not as bad as people make her out to be. Her stock is literal pain though.

Just use her similary with my T25/2, but too much adapt for new player (I played with her in CBT so no problem for me:hiding:)

Low camo yes, but her torp speed increases. Still a pain, because everything, even Fubuki, can spot you.

Similar with Mutsuki afterall, not that I complain

Worse torp speed? Just use her 10km torpedoes. You're going to fire just outside your detection range anyway, so 15km torps are a waste. 

Worse camo? 

7km - 0.7km (mod) - 0.7km (5 point perk) = 5.6km, less than a Minekaze.

6.3km otherwise, which is still better than the Hatsuharu's 6.7km.

That's exactly the reason why I didn't touch the New Torpedoes

mod and 5 point perk......?????????????

3 million and i might already in kagerou with that point perk

no offense, mostly agree

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

1 final (and very important) check before firing those spreads

LOOK WHERE YOUR TEAM MATES ARE

Edited by dead_man_walking

Beta Tester
62 posts
772 battles

The problem with the 5 Point Perk is, that only DDs and CVs need a 5 Point Perk.

The required xp is insane as stated from "Harpoon01".

If would be nice to have a free selection what to do with the points, instead of that you must have a 1/2/3/4 Skill before getting to 5.

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

Good guide, but you forgot to take into account of two things:

1. your ship will be moving as well
  2. unless you're stationary, no matter how fast your reflexes or tube traverse your torps are going to be launched from different points in intervals

This is what your lead indicator looks like at 3 different launch intervals:

nwRFNB1.png

And this is what the spreads look like when we use your first example on how to launch the spreads:

AddeQ7o.png

As a result, each spread will arrive at the same point at intervals, which doesn't really help against targets that turn in/away.

The order of the launch is important, in this case the first spread should have been the one that's offset the furthest behind the lead indicator, the last spread closest to the lead indicator:

w0SuYmj.png

The first salvo now has a better chance of hitting the target if it's turning in. Second and third salvo still has a chance to hit the target if it went straight or is late to react. All salvos will still most likely miss if the target is turning away, but the third salvo has the best chance out of all three.

Edit: I forgot where/who I "stole" this from, but here's a really good read on torpedo attack instructions that was issued for the Pacific Fleet: http://www.mediafire.com/view/m25rwk6coglg0wn/DD_TorpedoAttack_DTB1943.pdf

Edited by amade

Alpha Tester
845 posts
467 battles

LOOK WHERE YOUR TEAM MATES ARE

You just highlighted the exact same problem that I just thought and experienced first hand of getting hit by friendly torps.

213 posts
4,335 battles

Thanks for all the positive feedback.

Very interesting point from amade got me really thinking about firing order

If you fire your spreads relative to the aiming guide, the whatever order you fire at, and however you are moving relative to the target, the torpedoes will still arrive at the target point at the same position unless the target turns or changes speed in between firing your spreads (in which case you have probably already missed). This is because the aiming guide automatically compensates for you (if you fire all three spreads into the aiming guide all three spreads will hit the target if the target does not maneuver).

HOWEVER, the order of firing your spreads has a big impact on the shape of your torpedo spread should the target turn towards or away your torpedoes.

I tried amade's firing order (first spread behind target, second slightly behind and 3rd on target) and at first it was not working out for me. After watching my spreads go in though I realised by reversing the order of firing, I was creating gaps between my torpedo spreads (see fig. 2.b below) between which the target was dodging.  After this I started firing the spreads much faster and got better results.  

Then my dorkyness got hold of me and I had to work everything out on paper.  

If the spreads are fired on target, then increasingly behind target they intersect creating a narrower spread before impact zone and a wider spread after (fig1.a). If the target spots the torpedoes early, it is easier for it to turn inside your entire spread as amade pointed out.  If it tries to turn in late however, it will face a very dense spread of torpedoes.

If the torpedoes are fired in amade's order, the spreads run parallel or even converge slightly  creating a nicer spread ~ however if the spreads are not fired fast enough large gaps appear between them before the impact zone and it is easy for a target who has turned in late to thread between them.

Think it is best to look at the follow and make your own calls.  

HEG1PXW.jpg

u7IgUHn.jpg

i1OPnH3.jpg

Edited by Gorbon_Rubsay

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

Very well done. There's a few mistakes in the interval/position text, though the diagrams should be self-explanatory.

Best launch is always from the target's front quarter, this way your torps won't have to play catch up thus giving the target more reaction time. Launches from the beam, head-on or rear quarters are less ideal in that order. The slower your torp speed the more the attack angle matters.

Though, when all's said and done I still prefer going in close and running the gauntlet even when I have long range torps :-P

[APS]
80 posts
6,404 battles

You just highlighted the exact same problem that I just thought and experienced first hand of getting hit by friendly torps.

especially when they cannot possibly hit the enemy due to range.

420 posts
20 battles

Sometimes, i launched my torps while at full stop to get the best saturation, especially when aiming a ship from straight behind and or up ahead. I also do calculate my ship angle, since there's distance between the first torp launcher and the next ones. Idk if we can full salvo torpedo just like main gun, by double clicking it, i think i've experienced this once. You don't need to calculate your ship delta, when you can salvo.

When using Minekaze that just taking a U turn, and you want to target the same target at your previous direction. Be careful that your your two rear torpedo tubes has to transverse at different length than the front break one. So if you're too fast, that one is always be a little bit late to turn. It seems that any other DD that placed launcher at its front break also has the same problem as for from my experience. Since it can't turn 360 degrees,

Do not launch your torps when it has the risk to be spotted, either by another vessel or aircraft. Spotted torpedoes are as good as miss. Once spotted, it will be spotted forever.

Do not launch your torps at its max range when the white marker leaning forwards when doing side by side type of engagement.

Untitled.png

Untitled Miring.png

Edited by Zwelivelle

72 posts
2,544 battles

This is trolling, right?

Not if you read it as...

Sometimes, i launched my torps while at full stop to get the best saturation

That said, DD on stop may sound risky, but sometimes there are situations where you are able to find a safe zone to park and take your sweet time on unsuspecting BBs. Like within torpedo range but not within detection range, or even perhaps under smoke.

That said, it's still a very risky decision to be on full stop.