You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Velvet_Scarlantina

On USN ship colours

46 members have voted

1. 1. Should Measure 22 be the default ship colour for USN at tier 6 onwards?

• Yes
    • No

19 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
512 posts
308 battles

Nyet Comrade, everything shall be grey, for only then shall all boats be equal, thus adhering with glorious Communist doctrine.

(Yes I think the old camo was much more interesting, and the change was unnecessary.)

Edited by _Storm

Super Tester
2,314 posts
7,096 battles

Nyet Comrade, everything shall be grey, for only then shall all boats be equal, thus adhering with glorious Communist doctrine.

(Yes I think the old camo was much more interesting, and the change away was unnecessary.)

The Eagle of Freedom shall not comply to the nilly wishes of the hammer and sickle bear

Alpha Tester
37 posts
403 battles

I completely agree, give them back their original colors 

Maybe they changed it back to gray to make the entire tree to look more a less the same and not to confuse people ? :sceptic: 

Alpha Tester
548 posts

Kappa = Grey Face ( no space )

That's why they have to change it to grey. Kappa

// I don't think they will change it unless they rework the ship to HD :/

26 posts
308 battles

Since were on this topic, whats with all the damned rust on our ships? These vessels were symbols of military, economic and technological prowess during their time. No decent navy would allow rust on their decks.  

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,563 posts

Since were on this topic, whats with all the damned rust on our ships? These vessels were symbols of military, economic and technological prowess during their time. No decent navy would allow rust on their decks.  

You try keeping a 400ft long vessel free of rust on the outside when you are at sea all the time (most of it is surface rust, wipes off in port)

Almost all warships are painted grey now, as well as back then. The shades vary depending on what type of ship you are, and where you are. Example:- USN ships operating mainly in the Atlantic ocean are a blue grey, most likely what Measure 22 represents, where as those ships operating in the Pacific are a lighter shade of grey, the old SG patrol boats were a dark grey to be able to blend in with the islands.

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

you going to do pretty coating while bullets are flying?

Time in port = time to refuel, re-ammo, re-stock the galley, go ashore for a half day if lucky, then back to sea again.....

Alpha Tester
37 posts
403 battles

you going to do pretty coating while bullets are flying?

Time in port = time to refuel, re-ammo, re-stock the galley, go ashore for a half day if lucky, then back to sea again.....

Unless of course you were hit so badly you had to sit in port for months for major repairs or upgrades.

But generally while spending weeks at sea, like it or not, rust will form, 

My personal opinion on it, it gives the ship character and feels less like something from a catalog. 

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,563 posts

Unless of course you were hit so badly you had to sit in port for months for major repairs or upgrades.

But generally while spending weeks at sea, like it or not, rust will form, 

My personal opinion on it, it gives the ship character and feels less like something from a catalog. 

problem with that is that in WWII, USN ships that required major repairs were de-commissioned until the repairs were complete. This means that the crew, except for a small number, were sent to other ships to fill vacant spots.

Alpha Tester
37 posts
403 battles

problem with that is that in WWII, USN ships that required major repairs were de-commissioned until the repairs were complete. This means that the crew, except for a small number, were sent to other ships to fill vacant spots.

Ah ic, I'm not to familiar with USN ships, mostly with DKM and IJN ships as thats where my interest is.

But wouldn't the shipyard doing the repairs/reworks give it a fresh coat of paint to keep the seawater for further eroding away at the steel ? 

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

Ah ic, I'm not to familiar with USN ships, mostly with DKM and IJN ships as thats where my interest is.

But wouldn't the shipyard doing the repairs/reworks give it a fresh coat of paint to keep the seawater for further eroding away at the steel ? 

yup red lead base coat, nothing more

Beta Tester
773 posts
796 battles

You try keeping a 400ft long vessel free of rust on the outside when you are at sea all the time (most of it is surface rust, wipes off in port)

Almost all warships are painted grey now, as well as back then. The shades vary depending on what type of ship you are, and where you are. Example:- USN ships operating mainly in the Atlantic ocean are a blue grey, most likely what Measure 22 represents, where as those ships operating in the Pacific are a lighter shade of grey, the old SG patrol boats were a dark grey to be able to blend in with the islands.

However, in game terms Measure 22 was a distinctive and good looking colour scheme.  Changing the USN ships to all grey is just yet another of those utterly inexplicable WG things.  They're still (supposedly) in beta yet they're wasting time changing things like this that don't need to be changed.

Super Tester
802 posts

Now the issue with this is twofold. Firstly is the issue that the paint scheme may not have been historical for that particular vessel. Continuing with the Pensacola example, in game with the upgraded hull it would receive the measure 22 paint scheme, when in reality it had Measure 21, an all blue colour scheme.The second issue is that that the loadouts of AAA/torpedoes in game don't reflect the historical configuration so they can't go calling it a "Pensacola 1920" and "Pensacola 1944". So you basically if you can't have the hulls named after particular periods of time, then there's no point having historical paint either.

Not that this will be the end of the measure 22, among the other 20 US measures that the USN used at the time. I'm sure we'll see it as an purchasable camo, or some kind of mod if someone managed to save the old skins. 

Also: a cool little database showing what ships had what colour scheme. http://www.shipcamouflage.com/camouflage_database.htm

[BLUMR]
1,134 posts
1,377 battles

Maybe its so make the purchasable camo more appealing/different from the base? I honestly don't know.

Alpha Tester
37 posts
403 battles

Maybe its so make the purchasable camo more appealing/different from the base? I honestly don't know.

Well you could have a point there, to make all the Camo paint look uniform across all the USN ships.